New Apple TV rumored to debut in September with touchpad remote, dedicated app store, Siri support

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    Not really a shocker that BuzzFeed is saying that a very popular device which was scrapped from the last event at the last minute will be making an appearance at the next keynote. Besides, this piece of news was covered much more extensively at NinjaTeched, http://ninjateched.com/2015/07/31/rumour-apples-next-generation-apple-tv-unveiled-in-september-details-features/.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    karahkarah Posts: 1member
    With all this talk of Apple TV having 4k, channel packages, and gaming, why is no one mentioning the fact that all of these things will require massive amounts of data? I assume most people are like me, and there internet providers are their local cable company's, which now have a monthly limit on data usage. I am limited to 350 GB per month, with a $10 per 50 GB charge for exceeding this cap. I already struggle to remain below this threshold .
  • Reply 63 of 74
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,655member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I'm going to predict 'meh' on this one. Not because of the hardware--I'm sure it'll be wonderful, and "just work"--but because of the restrictions on the content it'll have access to. 

No need to go into specifics, but I doubt the phrase "You can watch whatever you find. It just works," will not be used during its unveiling. 

"Well, you'll need to log into your Netflix account. For Hulu, you'll need to authenticate. For EXISTING Comcast subscribers..." 

Stratified into oblivion. 

And this is why I think cord cutters are fooling themselves, as much as I'd like to cut the cord myself.   Most MSOs will charge you more for your internet access if you drop your cable TV subscription.   And if you start adding up the costs of separate subscriptions to each of these services, I think that on average, they'll come to more than a typical cable subscription, unless one is okay with losing access to a lot of shows. 

And then there's the issue of bandwidth - when I watch cable TV, I don't have to worry about speed or throttling, but when I access web-based services, I do.    

And even if Apple was successful in negotiating with cable networks, they're not going to charge Apple any less per subscriber than they charge the MSOs, like Comcast and Time-Warner.    Most of these deals are based not upon what subscribers actually watch, but the number of subscribers the MSO has.   In spite of Apple's negotiating power, the MSO's have 'most favored nation' deals, so if Apple gets a better deal, so will they.

And then as you've said, there's the authentication issues.    That has to disappear.    For any services that a user subscribes to, Apple has to make that invisible and just provide a list of shows and movies, etc.    And IMO, Apple also has to be able to support 4K video, HDR and wider color gamut, all of which will be arriving over the next few years (although not necessarily for broadcast TV).    

• Reply 64 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ERokthemicright View Post

About damn time! I've been putting off getting one for at least two years. This will help my decision to cut the cord or not.

A timeless statement about the AppleTV.

• Reply 65 of 74
    isteelersisteelers Posts: 738member
    Any word on whether it will have IGZO and Skylake?

I wonder if skylake will live up to all of the hype. If Intel sells less than 15 million in three months,will it be considered a failure?
  • Reply 66 of 74
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    scartart wrote: »
    4k decoding isn't too bad using silicon, just don't do it with a generic cpu.
    Do you realise that Netflix already stream 4k over the Internet?

lol at myself.
    Well call me a stupid old bastard !
    I won't mind.

Thanks for that.
    I see the requirements for a "reliable" experience are minimum 20Mb/sec connection. By god that's some compression even from a highly compressed source codec ...
    I've seen plenty of 4k stuff that's been down sampled to 720 and 1080. Looks great.
    I guess if there are enough people that are willing to pay for it then it will become common place.
    I can't see the need for it myself if delivery is through the net or broadcast - maybe that's why I'm a stupid old bastard :D
  • Reply 67 of 74
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    I'd like to see (1) a price under $100 (2) an App Store with Plex and (3) content not tied to cable with no ads. Don't care about thinness, browsing the web with it, different controller, wheels, etc...
  • Reply 68 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    Meanwhile, while Apple just can't seem to sort out subscriptions:

http://www.news.com.au/technology/home-entertainment/telstra-to-launch-roku-streaming-platform-for-netflix-presto-and-stan-in-september/story-fn8tnfhb-1227460964733

STREAMING is about to get a whole lot easier in Australia, with Telstra looking to launch its own TV service called Telstra TV, which will offer all the local streaming offerings in one place.
    Telstra has partnered with US streaming device maker Roku to be the platform for the new service that’s designed specifically for Australian consumers. The telco wants Telstra TV to be the go-to place for streaming TV and eventually wants to support every streaming service available in Australia.
    Pricing and plans are yet to be finalised, but Ms Pollard confirmed that Telstra was trying to negotiate with Netflix, Presto and Stan to deliver a bundle price that would allow customers to subscribe to all three streaming services for less than $30 a month.
    Netflix, Presto and movie rentals from BigPond Movies will be available when the service launches in September. Catch-up services will also be on offer, however Telstra hasn’t specified yet what specific channels will be featured. A Stan app won’t be available at first, however Telstra media managing director Joe Pollard told news.com.au that it would be available soon after the launch.
  • Reply 69 of 74
    pmcdpmcd Posts: 396member
    But it sounds like they too haven't sorted out deals with the Australian networks. The TV market is just a mess. I doubt anyone will ever provide a service that people might enjoy. Perhaps the proposed Hulu ad free+ Netflix+ Amazon Prime would almost work, except for local news and sports?
  • Reply 70 of 74
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    ohh dear you said the "s" word.

Yea - unless you've got live sports locked in, well said to say it, you've got nothing
  • Reply 71 of 74
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ehotwill wrote: »
    All the updates in hardware department won't matter much for someone truly looking to cut cord. We need to be able to access all the channels on Apple TV now without having subscription to cable/satellite company. Apple just needs to negotiate with the network and be able to offer contents like HBO, Showtime, and Netflix. I know this isn't easy, but this will tryuly make Apple TV a viable cord cutter; not the fancy hardware/Siri upgrade. Sure, it would be nice to have touch control and Siri access, but more content access is what it really needs.

it already does those things. we cut the cord over a decade ago...between Netflix, occasionsal show purchases, and HBO, our needs are met.
  • Reply 72 of 74
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    zoetmb wrote: »

And this is why I think cord cutters are fooling themselves, as much as I'd like to cut the cord myself.   Most MSOs will charge you more for your internet access if you drop your cable TV subscription.   And if you start adding up the costs of separate subscriptions to each of these services, I think that on average, they'll come to more than a typical cable subscription, unless one is okay with losing access to a lot of shows. 

well yeah, that's why I do it -- cutting the cord is cheaper if and when you realize you don't need all the crap you think you do. I don't need endless channels of bullshit. I don't need sports. I don't need reality TV. I don't need music channels. I don't need the nightly news. I don't need late night tv. I don't need 99% of what cable offers. I dropped cable before there was streaming. now I can get he select content I enjoy and I've saved thousands of dollars, not to mention make better use of my time.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,267member
    Yes, that Telstra deal is only so far as a single subscription for the streamers, not the FTA channels yet. That said, on the one hand one of the streamers, Presto, is owned by the big cable company Foxtel, which owns Sky sports channels etc. On the other hand it is possible that the presto part of the subscription could end up streaming sport
    The gripping hand is the 'tel' part of Foxtel is Telstra.

At the moment Presto has a limited range compared with Netflix, which is currently the dominant steamer in Australia. But what if presto started streaming sport?
  • Reply 74 of 74
    steveausteveau Posts: 302member
    I've also been waiting for years for an updated Apple TV. In the meantime I've been using a MacMini alongside the aTV to give some added functionality, but it's not as easy to use a trackpad and keyboard compared to sitting back on the lounge with the tiny remote. Can't wait, just ship it now!