Apple expected to unveil 'iPhone 6s,' new Apple TV on Sept. 9

Posted:
in iPhone edited August 2015
Apple is reportedly eyeing a media event for Sept. 9, where the company is expected to show off its next-generation iPhone and Apple TV hardware, and may even unveil new iPads, according to a new report.

Citing people familiar with the company's plans, John Paczkowski of Buzzfeed reported on Friday that Apple is planning to hold its annual iPhone presentation the week of Sept. 7, with that Wednesday, Sept. 9, being the most likely date. Last year's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus unveiling was held on the very same date.

This year's iPhone upgrade is likely to feature a Force Touch display, as well as a next-generation A9 processor. It is expected to feature generally the same external design as the iPhone 6.

In addition to the "iPhone 6s" series, the company is also expected to introduce a next-generation Apple TV with a dedicated App Store.

Paczkowski said on Friday that Apple is also expected to show off its next-generation iPads on Sept. 9. That would be a change for the company, which has held off on introducing new iPads until October in years past.

Still unknown for the September event, however, is the so-called "iPad Pro," which Paczkowski said is a "wildcard" at the moment. Apple is believed to be working on a jumbo-sized 12.9-inch touchscreen tablet that will join the current iPad Air and iPad mini lineup.

As for the new Apple TV, it is also expected to sport a touchpad remote, as well as support for Siri voice controls, introducing entirely new input methods for the set-top box streamer. It's also said to feature a thinner design and a faster A8 processor --?the same chip found in the iPhone 6 series.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Show me the invites!
  • Reply 2 of 83
    22july201322july2013 Posts: 3,564member
    Will the location be in the new theater at their new UFO office?
  • Reply 3 of 83
    john673john673 Posts: 40member

Yay!!! gotta sell those 6 and 6 pluses before to get the most out of the upgrade:)

• Reply 4 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I can't begin to express how much more excited I am for the new Apple TV than the iPhone Success.
  • Reply 5 of 83
    iPhone 6S around the corner, good news.
  • Reply 6 of 83
    Get ready for disappointment /s
  • Reply 7 of 83
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 22July2013 View Post

Will the location be in the new theater at their new UFO office?

You mean the unfinished theater in the unfinished "UFO office"? Probably not.

• Reply 8 of 83
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    iPhones and iPads at the same event? Hmm… I somehow doubt that.
  • Reply 9 of 83
    It's far more logical to think about september 8 as the keynote date. It's a tuesday. Last year (september 9) was a tuesday, and 2013 keynote was held on september 10. This was also a tuesday
  • Reply 10 of 83
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    It better be soon, the battery in my iPhone 4 is really on its last leg.
  • Reply 11 of 83
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    pmz wrote: »
    I can't begin to express how much more excited I am for the new Apple TV than the iPhone Success.
    same here...New ATV is long overdue.
  • Reply 12 of 83

I know we all know this. The 6s is going to be the same form factor with some speedier internals and better camera.

What I'm really interested in, is what happens to the 5c plastic form factor? Will the 5s go plastic, or will we get anodized aluminum colors? Will the 4s be discontinued. 

I think Apple will want every iOS devise across the whole line to include ApplePay and fingerprint security.

Anyhoo...

Best.

• Reply 13 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I hear you wizard...my 4s has a cracked screen and I think it's getting heavier! :)

• Reply 14 of 83
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    wizard69 wrote: »

you can change it in minutes with the proper tools.
  • Reply 15 of 83
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,056member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

same here...New ATV is long overdue.

I'm really curious about it. Funny we haven't seen any hardware leaks.

Show me a standalone NFL Sunday Ticket  and ESPN on it for a reasonable price, and I'll buy on launch day. Anyone wanna lay odds? ready go.

• Reply 16 of 83
    Wow. That's the second such 'scoop' from Buzzfeed. Not bad for them, if it turns out to be true.

And, it looks like Ming-Chi Kuo has some competition!
  • Reply 17 of 83
    I didn't know buzzfeed was legit. I've always thought of it as clickbait
  • Reply 18 of 83
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Of the people that own a 6 or 6 plus, do you think you'll be going for the 6s variant or better to wait for the 7?

• Reply 19 of 83
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    eightzero wrote: »
    I'm really curious about it. Funny we haven't seen any hardware leaks.

Show me a standalone NFL Sunday Ticket  and ESPN on it for a reasonable price, and I'll buy on launch day. Anyone wanna lay odds? ready go.

We haven't seen any AppleTV leaks because every device since the second generation model has been identical in shape, so if anyone is building it, they would only have seen a change in part numbers.

The last two models were identical.

What I expect is some announcement regarding h.265 support and 4k/5k/8k decoding ability in the next version of the device, and possibly Apple getting the drop on cable co's UHD support by having curated versions of HBO UHD or something to that idea. Because it will be a decade before UHD finds its way into the home otherwise. I actually expect to see 8K Netflix before I see 8K VOD from the cable co's , they they'd to upgrade their internet connections to GiGe and replace all the existing hardware. Apple tends to be closer to bleeding edge "standards" even if not everyone hops on their backed standard.
  • Reply 20 of 83
    rptrpt Posts: 175member

Great news. Finally, as the owner of 5 ATVs, I will get what I have always wanted. A thinner design version. Just like the thin iPhones in my household, with the perfect thin (thank you Steve for, one of a very few, stupid things you said) design, that gives me a thrill when I have to show my boarding pass at the end of a long day (and charging periods) when the phone is dying on me!