New video shows alleged 'iPhone 6s' shell with reinforced sides, lighter weight

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 44
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,506member
    Taken. But sales sat back smiling with a nice drink in its hand anyway. :)

    What is that supposed to mean?
  • Reply 22 of 44
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,215member
    melgross wrote: »
    I wonder which 7000 series alloy they're using. There's a big difference in strength and hardness between the 705x and 707x series, with the 705x being the stronger and harder. Both are significantly better in both regards than the most commonly used 6061.

    My money is on this one:

    http://www.steelforge.com/aluminum-7079/
  • Reply 23 of 44
    flaneur wrote: »
    What is that supposed to mean?

    It means I accept that Apple for sure is constantly looking for improvements, and does not rely on such clowns. But while these guys tried to create this bendgate it would appear that the sales of the phone did not suffer - in other words: the sales number could happily ignore this weak attempt and in my imagination they are doing this leaning back with a cocktail at hand and smiling ;)
  • Reply 24 of 44
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post



    A stronger body just means that goons will simply apply more force to bend it so that they can get their little 15 minutes of fame on their amateur YouTube channel, and be linked to by link-baiting blogs and websites (and you can bet your a$$ AI will be there).



    You are implying that the iPhone 6 would only bend when making Youtube videos and that it wouldn't bend under normal use.  I have seen several reports of bent iPhone 6s that got that way through normal use.  The strengthening would seem like a good a move to me.

  • Reply 25 of 44

    If you're an fan of Apple, they will be "enhancing" the design of the iPhone 6/6+ case.

     

    If you hate Apple, they will be "fixing" the design of the iPhone 6/6+.

     

    You're be able to tell exactly how a person feels about Apple with their choice of words.

  • Reply 26 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,381member
    No. Not a peep. The Androiders really circled the wagons to protect one of their own, LOL.

    Actually, the same company that tested the iPhone 6+ tested the Samsung 6. Both bent at the same amount of pressure. But the Samsung cover glass shattered at that pressure, while the one for the iPhone 6+ didn't.
  • Reply 27 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,381member
    boredumb wrote: »
    So, we're giving this guy credit for bullshitting Apple into "fixing" something that wasn't wrong in the first place?
    I didn't think he had credibility then, so why would I credit him for "prodding" Apple now?

    And the thing I'm most curious about:  how does he even have a real shell, for an as yet unannounced product?
    Thought they weren't even starting assembly till later this month, so they probably exist, but again, how does he have it?

    It's less than a month away from being sold. By now, millions of parts have been made. If they weren't, they would never have the phones in time. Production on parts began months ago.
  • Reply 28 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,381member

    That's a semi custom alloy. I'd bet it's more than a bit more expensive than 7075. Unfortunately, they don't give us the standard characteristics on that page.

    Here are some comparisons between better known aluminum alloys. If you want, I'll try to come up with prices on comparable volumes.

    2024
    Yield strength....57,000 psi
    Hardness.......... 131 Brinell
    Temper.............. T6

    6013
    Yield strength....50,000 psi
    Hardness.......... 120 Brinell
    Temper..............T651

    6061 (most common non architectural alloy for parts, etc)
    Yield strength....35.000 psi
    Hardness...........80 Brinell
    Temper..............T6511

    7050
    Yield strength....68,000 Brinell (stronger than low carbon steel used for many purposes)
    No hardness rating
    Temper T7451

    7075
    Yield strength....56,000 psi
    Hardness...........130 Brinell
    Temper..............T7351

    For comparison, two steels used very commonly

    Low carbon steel
    Yield strength....54,000
    Hardness...........B70 Rockwell
    No temper, but can be hardened to Rockwell C60 (tool steel hardness)

    1045 high strength steel alloy
    Yield strength....77,000
    Hardness..........B88 Rockwell (can be hardened to Rockwell C60)

    Rockwell B series is harder than Brinell, and C hardness is much harder.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,137member

    My sources are telling me the next iPhone will be made of mimetic polyalloy. 

  • Reply 30 of 44
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,509member
    **** Unbox Therapy.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    danielswdanielsw Posts: 905member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by zroger73 View Post

     

    My iPhone 6 must be defective - it's nearing a year old and hasn't bent at all despite being dropped, sat on, and unintentionally used as a see-saw.

     

    On an unrelated note - Apple's leather case has proven to be durable, effective, and unobtrusive - MUCH better than the bumpers, which each lasted about a year before falling apart.




    Agreed. My Plus with an Apple leather case has held up similarly for the past year, too.

  • Reply 32 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

     

     

    I'm not sure it pushed anything other than the troller's YouTube views and bank account up.

    Common sense dictates that things bend and break when exerting the kind of pressure he using.

    Apple only responded to prevent a PR nightmare.

    Whether his actions prompted Apple to add increased strength is debatable. Consider that Apple is constantly looking into new materials and metals.


     

    Considering how much efforts it takes to use new metals, years, it is safe to say that clown man had no impact.

    Their materials effort for the watch though may have had an impact.

  • Reply 33 of 44
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post



    A stronger body just means that goons will simply apply more force to bend it so that they can get their little 15 minutes of fame on their amateur YouTube channel, and be linked to by link-baiting blogs and websites (and you can bet your a$$ AI will be there).

     

    If its 7050 AL, they'd have to use a IRon man harness to bend it ;-), or prebend it several times with an hydraulic jack.

  • Reply 34 of 44
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 3,235member
    Hey, every time my rooster crows the sun comes up. Guess Unbox Therapy and my rooster can both cause changes.
  • Reply 35 of 44
    macinthe408macinthe408 Posts: 1,050member
    cnocbui wrote: »

    You are implying that the iPhone 6 would only bend when making Youtube videos and that it wouldn't bend under normal use.  I have seen several reports of bent iPhone 6s that got that way through normal use.  The strengthening would seem like a good a move to me.

    Agreed. However, I think normal use is code for "I weigh 300 pounds, I sat on it while it was in my jeans pocket, so it's not tough enough."
  • Reply 36 of 44
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,411member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post



    No. Not a peep. The Androiders really circled the wagons to protect one of their own, LOL.




    Actually, the same company that tested the iPhone 6+ tested the Samsung 6. Both bent at the same amount of pressure. But the Samsung cover glass shattered at that pressure, while the one for the iPhone 6+ didn't.

    Aware of that, but if they haven't started assembly, then the location of parts may yet be limited...so, again, where'd this guy get one?

  • Reply 37 of 44
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,411member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

    Quote:


    Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

    So, we're giving this guy credit for bullshitting Apple into "fixing" something that wasn't wrong in the first place?

    I didn't think he had credibility then, so why would I credit him for "prodding" Apple now?


    I'm brutal with my iP6+.  It sees a lot of abuse when I place it in my front pocket and drive my motorbike.  I'm honestly surprised, and impressed that it has not bent/warped one bit for the year I've owned it.  I would expect any other phone to finally give up.  As far as I'm concerned, BendGate was just some fabricated BS by a bunch of iHaters.  What makes those trolls even more pathetic and hypocrites were their silence when the Samsung phones were shown to be even more bendable than Apple!   F**k them.


    Yeah, that kinda helps pull the curtain away from the 'Wizard'.

    I don't baby mine either, although I sometimes minimize the coins in that pocket, or 

    even remember to put my keys against the back, but no case or cover or 'bumper',

    and no marks either.

  • Reply 38 of 44
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,381member
    boredumb wrote: »
    Aware of that, but if they haven't started assembly, then the location of parts may yet be limited...so, again, where'd this guy get one?

    Considering that Apple supposedly ordered between 80-90 million iPhone 6s and 6+s models for the quarter, tens of millions of these must have been produced already. It's well known that workers sneak off a part, or two, to sell to reporters. Factory managers have even been caught trying to sneak off a pallet of finished phones.

    Assembly has begun some time ago. You can't make that many phones at the last minute. Then they need to have the OS and apps flashed, packed in boxes, and shipped. It all takes time.

    It's not hard to get parts before the phones are released. Apple uses dozens of manufacturers, and parts disappear, particularly ones that don't meet the QC standards.
  • Reply 39 of 44
    ds92jzds92jz Posts: 90member

    I'm waiting until Apple starts using Vibranium adamantium alloy

  • Reply 40 of 44
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sflocal wrote: »

    I'm brutal with my iP6+.  It sees a lot of abuse when I place it in my front pocket and drive my motorbike.  I'm honestly surprised, and impressed that it has not bent/warped one bit for the year I've owned it.  I would expect any other phone to finally give up.  As far as I'm concerned, BendGate was just some fabricated BS by a bunch of iHaters.  What makes those trolls even more pathetic and hypocrites were their silence when the Samsung phones were shown to be even more bendable than Apple!   F**k them.

    I'm sure most of you know I'm an apple defender here, but that nonwithstanding, my iPhone 6, kept only in my front pocket in a case, is bent. ugh. I think it happened while go karting, my body pressing against the kart at high speed turns... bummed tho, since I thought it was all BS. now I have to go to the Apple Store and try to explain it.
Sign In or Register to comment.