Google spawns new parent company, Alphabet, splits off side businesses into unique entities

14567810»

Comments

• Reply 181 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

Inconsequential, probably. Invalid, here, on the Internet? No more than yours buddy.

At least you’re consistently deluded. You can’t comprehend why I would take more seriously than most your input into European affairs, and you can’t comprehend why that same input is meaningless for US affairs. Kudos for consistency.

• Reply 182 of 190
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

At least you’re consistently deluded. You can’t comprehend why I would take more seriously than most your input into European affairs, and you can’t comprehend why that same input is meaningless for US affairs. Kudos for consistency.
    The hypocrisy is staggering. My input is "meaningless" for US affairs and should be shut down, yet you are constantly offering your deranged "let it collapse" input into the affairs of not only Europe, but any damn thing that takes your fancy. And the idea that you take anyone's input seriously is rubbish. You belittle anyone that doesn't agree with your hateful simpleton ideas.

Nope, I'm not going to take that allegation of consistent "delusion" (find a new word please) as in any way valid. I can hold and share an opinion on the inner workings of the U.S., just as you can for the E.U., South Korea, Google, or anything else. My opinions just happen to not be ridiculous.
  • Reply 183 of 190
    Quote:

The hypocrisy is staggering. My input is "meaningless" for US affairs and should be shut down, yet you are constantly offering your deranged "let it collapse" input into the affairs of not only Europe, but any damn thing that takes your fancy. And the idea that you take anyone's input seriously is rubbish. You belittle anyone that doesn't agree with your hateful simpleton ideas.

Nope, I'm not going to take that allegation of inconsistency as in any way valid. I can hold and share an opinion on the Inner workings of the U.S., just as you can for the E.U., South Korea, Google, or anything else. My opinions just happen not be ridiculous.

What's staggering is that you are able to string together sentences of any kind.

• Reply 184 of 190
    That doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't I be able to? Because I hold different opinions to you?

Sheesh, you people.
  • Reply 185 of 190
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

No, it's certainly not a better explanation. In fact it doesn't really say much at all (and what it does is a bit confusing) except for the authors opinion that nothing really changes.

Horace, who really is a smart guy, doesn't like Google very much on a personal level but he does like Apple... a LOT. Nothing at all wrong with being a fan.

I agree, Horace's explanation is possibly one of the most confusing that I have read so far.

You are right that he is a really smart guy, obviously really likes Apple and does seem to have a dislike for Google. At least that is the vibe I pick up from reading and listening to him. And while he is a smart guy, reading the comments from that article he seems misinformed as to how Google sells ads and uses data.

Which makes me wonder (well not really) - If he dislikes Google why does he use both Google Analytics an Google Adsense on asymco.com? Same goes for Gruber. For how much John likes to rail against Google why the need for the Google Analytics tracker on Daring Fireball? 

You obviously don't need to answer as those are rhetorical questions. I find it funny that a lot of people and sites don't put their money where their mouth is. Marco Arment does. Marco.org has one tracker, The Deck.

• Reply 186 of 190
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

…yet you are constantly offering your deranged “let it collapse" input into the affairs of not only Europe

If I was wrong on those points, you’d be able to provide salient reasons as to why. You never do, and Europe tumbles.

And the idea that you take anyone's input seriously is rubbish.

Glad to know you know me more than I do.

My opinions just happen to not be ridiculous.

Except if they actually were, you wouldn’t be aware of this. You’d only be aware of the people around you telling you they were and you refusing to listen. Hmm… Sound familiar?

• Reply 187 of 190
    If I was wrong on those points, you’d be able to provide salient reasons as to why. You never do, and Europe tumbles.
    Bull. You never respond to any salient points, you just start spouting the same old "you can't read", "you're deluded" lack of substance. I already made the point about how EU members have not seen any intra-member war in 60 years any you just ignored it. Meanwhile your "point" amounts to a claim that the EU should collapse and that the founders of the EU were psychopaths, without any any reason, context, or demonstrable understanding of who the EUs founders were, or what their reasons and ideas were, or how that relates to any present issues with the union.
    Except if they actually were, you wouldn’t be aware of this. You’d only be aware of the people around you telling you they were and you refusing to listen. <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Hmm… Sound familiar?</span>
    You and Spam are the only people who do this, and I don't respect your opinions. The fact that you do so regularly is just symptomatic of your lack f rigour and finesse in proper debates. I regularly debate with people who both agree and disagree with me and very rarely get told that my opinions are ridiculous. Admittedly I've never debated the EU founders being psychopaths, but that's because the proposition is absurd, and serious people wouldn't give it the time of day.
  • Reply 188 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This is an example of where Alphabet creating separate companies, each with their own management teams and business plans, may bring more stockholder value and new revenue opportunities. LifeSciences, previously under the Google X Labs, is ready to stand on it's own feet and already attracting new interest according to this blog:
    https://medium.com/backchannel/buried-in-the-wordplay-life-sciences-graduates-from-google-x-146d221c5732
    [SIZE=4]
    "The flagship venture at Life Sciences is a bold attempt at early disease detection that involves releasing smart nanoparticles in the bloodstream, which can identify markers of nascent heath issues, and signal the user through a wearable device. Conrad describes the system as similar to the Star Trek “Tricorder” which instantly diagnoses one’s ailments. He’s working with Stanford and MIT. (You can learn about it in this interview I did with Conrad.) Other projects include a smart contact lens (in partnership with Novartis) and the organization of a “Baseline Study” to establish the genetic parameters of what a healthy person is. (Partners include Duke and Stanford.)"[/SIZE]

[SIZE=4] [UPDATE: the day after the Alphabet announcement, DexCom, a company whose mission is “to help move health care from reactive to proactive,” announced a partnership with Life Sciences to develop advanced glucose monitoring technology."[/SIZE]
  • Reply 189 of 190

I already made the point about how EU members have not seen any intra-member war in 60 years any you just ignored it.

Because I said that as well.

…without any any reason, context, or demonstrable understanding of who the EUs founders were, or what their reasons and ideas were, or how that relates to any present issues with the union.

Your implication is that I don’t know these things, which is demonstrably false. I would not be saying the union is on the verge of collapse if I did not know these things and how they relate to modernity.

You and Spam are the only people who do this, and I don't respect your opinions.

Goes both ways, really. 

I regularly debate with people who both agree and disagree with me and very rarely get told that my opinions are ridiculous.

And your anecdote somehow magically means they’re not? Why is it impossible for these other people to hold opinions that are so in line with yours that they don’t find yours ridiculous?

…the proposition is absurd…

Because you say so, of course.