Google spawns new parent company, Alphabet, splits off side businesses into unique entities

Comments

• Reply 161 of 190
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Misa View Post

Stop making crap nobody is using. (and when nobody wants to use the product, get rid of it.)

All Google has managed to do in the last 4 years is piss off it's loyal customer base, from trying to force people to use Google+, to the half-assed Android operating system, to completely sucking any value out of using Google Adwords so that nobody wants Adwords on their sites, to not fixing the very exploits in Chrome that enable ads to hijack the browser.

Google's (Now Alphabet's) failure to learn this lesson goes beyond the impossible, as not only do they relentlessly continue to make crap nobody uses...They euthanise products people use and cherish in order to shill for the crap nobody uses. They destroyed or neutered Google Voice (Formerly Grand Central), Google Reader and Picasa on their way to shilling Plus - a product they didn't even need as they already owned at least three social services of greater value to users (Including freaking YouTube, arguably the second most successful social media service in existence).

• Reply 162 of 190
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Playful. Stylish. And serious. With a touch of innocence.

Like all of the company.

Funny.

• Reply 163 of 190
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    cornchip wrote: »
    Probably for those very reasons...

Sure, I'm all for inter state competition, but companies which incorporate in Delaware tend to have a certain... reputation. But I didn't have to explain that to you... 

http://mobile.news.com.au/finance/business/why-companies-including-ge-apple-cocacola-and-more-are-incorporated-in-delaware/story-fnda1bsz-1226877904035
  • Reply 164 of 190
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
  • Reply 165 of 190
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

There are plenty of good reasons to incorporate in Delaware. How is it slimy?

It makes complete sense for states to be competitive and to attract businesses and residents. The U.S. is based on freewill, free markets and freedom of choice (or at least it used to be).

Freedom to be slimy.  Hold on to that.

• Reply 166 of 190
    crowley wrote: »

Freedom to be slimy.  Hold on to that.

You aren't an American, so no one cares about your invalid opinions regarding American laws and policies.
  • Reply 167 of 190
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

You aren't an American, so no one cares about your invalid opinions regarding American laws and policies.

If doing everything under the law to minimize taxes is good enough for Apple it should be good enough for Google.

• Reply 168 of 190
    mstone wrote: »

If doing everything under the law to minimize taxes is good enough for Apple it should be good enough for Google.

And it is!
  • Reply 169 of 190
    Inconsequential, probably. Invalid, here, on the Internet? No more than yours buddy.

Mature response btw.
  • Reply 170 of 190
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    jensonb wrote: »
    Google's (Now Alphabet's) failure to learn this lesson goes beyond the impossible, as not only do they relentlessly continue to make crap nobody uses...They euthanise products people use and cherish in order to shill for the crap nobody uses. They destroyed or neutered Google Voice (Formerly Grand Central), Google Reader and Picasa on their way to shilling Plus - a product they didn't even need as they already owned at least three social services of greater value to users (Including freaking YouTube, arguably the second most successful social media service in existence).
    Well, gosh, now that would explain why Google just can't be successful. Bankruptcy must be right around the corner.
  • Reply 171 of 190
    Inconsequential, probably. Invalid, here, on the Internet? No more than yours buddy.

Mature response btw.

That was just to get your attention. Now that I have your attention, you need to understand that no one likes you or your unwelcome whining and trolling. Seriously. If your Internet access suddenly disappeared you'd not be missed in the slightest.
  • Reply 172 of 190
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well, gosh, now that would explain why Google just can't be successful. Bankruptcy must be right around the corner.

Nobody said they weren't making money. Their advertising business is hugely profitable. That doesn't mean they don't have (many) other products which are at best money pits or at worst miserable failures. You're using a straw man to accuse Google's critics of the fallacy of selective attention. The reality is pretending that Google's Alphabet's overall financial health excuses their various failures is ridiculous. Apple is also massively profitable (and boasts a Scrooge McDuck caliber war chest), that does't mean iTunes Ping was a good idea.

• Reply 173 of 190
    Nobody said they weren't making money. Their advertising business is hugely profitable. That doesn't mean they don't have (many) other products which are at best money pits or at worst miserable failures. You're using a straw man to accuse Google's critics of the fallacy of selective attention. The reality is pretending that Google's Alphabet's overall financial health excuses their various failures is ridiculous. Apple is also massively profitable (and boasts a Scrooge McDuck caliber war chest), that does't mean iTunes Ping was a good idea.
    Alphabet isn't meant to mask it. Instead it should make any wastefulness more obvious. If Google intended to hide it they wouldn't make the change they are. IMO this will bring some needed filtration to Alphabets investments, as well as let the Google portion concentrate on ... well, Google. Fewer distractions may mean more profits.
  • Reply 174 of 190
    Quote:

Alphabet isn't meant to mask it. Instead it should make any wastefulness more obvious. If Google intended to hide it they wouldn't make the change they are. IMO this will bring some needed filtration to Alphabets investments, as well as let the Google portion concentrate on ... well, Google. Fewer distractions may mean more profits.

I never said anything about Alphabet being a way of hiding anything. What are you talking about?

• Reply 175 of 190

I never said anything about Alphabet being a way of hiding anything. What are you talking about?
    If the "miserable failures"you believe are there exist then it should become more obvious. As it stands Google has been able to mask it. Alphabet changes that. Non-performing companies may end up sold off or otherwise disposed of. I'm surprised if you don't think more transparency would be a good thing.
  • Reply 176 of 190
    That was just to get your attention. Now that I have your attention, you need to understand that no one likes you or your unwelcome whining and trolling. Seriously. If your Internet access suddenly disappeared you'd not be missed in the slightest.
    Nice. I'd be hurt, if yours was an opinion I gave two figs about.

P.S. congratulations on your election as spokesperson of the internet.
  • Reply 177 of 190
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,348member
    Quote:

If the "miserable failures"you believe are there exist then it should become more obvious. As it stands Google has been able to mask it. Alphabet changes that. Non-performing companies may end up sold off or otherwise disposed of. I'm surprised if you don't think more transparency would be a good thing.

Google could have been more transparent without the restructuring. It's about more the transparency obviously.

It is true that this makes it easier to buy and sell business units, and it certainly makes Larry Page happy to be working on stuff for humanity, rather than routing search and advertising. 

• Reply 178 of 190
    Nice. I'd be hurt, if yours was an opinion I gave two figs about.

P.S. congratulations on your election as spokesperson of the internet.

If you're running for the position of Troll King, you have my vote.
  • Reply 180 of 190
    Another take on Alphabet and how it might help Google from becoming Microsoft. . .
    http://www.engadget.com/2015/08/11/google-alphabet/