Apple making unlikely enterprise bedfellows to bolster sagging iPad sales

Comments

• Reply 41 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BestKeptSecret View Post

Yeah, no idea what happened to @TheWhiteFalcon. His posts started off ok but now they are lamenting the state of Apple too often. Guess that's just one more name in my block list now.

It's actually not that difficult to see why he says what he says. Just view the stories where he gets the most enraged and most passionate, they're the ones where Cook has made some statement about social advocacy, anti-discrimination, or tweeted something about gay rights- he gets in a manic tizzy, and starts ranting about how Cook needs to go, then lists his lamentations with Apple products. His entire ideology stems from his Cook hatred (just look at his sig), and just spouts non-sense based on that- even though a sane person understands that Apple's product quality has nothing to do with Tim's social views, or if he tweets or not. 

It's not enough for TWF to attack Cook on his views- he must go further, and attempt to discredit and tarnish Cook by pretending to make the argument that he's "destroying" Apple because of these views, and all the product problems he claims to have (real or imagined) is because of this. It's a small, petty, vindictive, and dishonest argument, but there's TWF for you. Now, he's making the claim that Apple has no "A-players" left, because 3 people have left in the last 10 years, insinuating everyone left is a "B-player" at a $750B company.  I guess he really took Faddells chest thumping (in order to sell Nest products) at face value, instead of listening to the people who actually worked with the guy and all claim that his "influence" at Apple is highly exaggerated by him. 

The idea that any perceived weakness at Apple would automatically not exist in the alternate reality in which Jobs is still alive is also laughably childish and intellectually dishonest. Why does TWF ASSUME that iPad sales would be any better if SJ was around? It's possible, not definitely a certainty by any means. Yet, this is the "standard" that Apple is judged on now by trolls like TWF - how it compares to an alternate fictional Apple that exists only in their minds, and not anything approaching sensible analysis. 

• Reply 42 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

When people use the term "real work" iPad enthusiasts become very defensive. It all depends on what real work means to the individual making the complaint that it is not a suitable device for their particular purpose. Personally, I find iOS very clumsy for working with text. It is difficult to select or copy blocks of text or drop the cursor precisely. Typing is slow and auto correct is a disaster. Fingers are just too fat to be a proper pointer for detailed work in my opinion. My work requires a great deal of precision so for me an iPad is a poor device to accomplish any of my particular work.

• Reply 43 of 68
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Wow, you should really let Apple know yours thoughts. If you did, they might decide to do stuff like side by side windows, having the keyboard double as a touchpad, etc.

First we tell people to use Apple's feedback pages and send bug reports.  Now you are saying Apple does not listen to anyone.  So which is it?  Does Apple listen to people or not?

• Reply 44 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

When people use the term "real work" iPad enthusiasts become very defensive. It all depends on what real work means to the individual making the complaint that it is not a suitable device for their particular purpose. 

It depends on the nature of the "real work".  You cite iPad enthusiasts as being defensive, which may be true for some, but you also have to acknowledge that it depends on the work being done.  For those whose job function includes a lot of typing, document creation, precision, then no doubt an iPad is not the tool.  I work in such a job (product manager at a telecom equipment vendor), and right now would never consider using an iPad as my only computer.  I live in MS Office much of day (on a Mac fortunately), and write lengthy emails at times.  I need the keyboard and mouse.

However, it has to be acknowledged that this is not the only job type in the world.  There are jobs where mobility, ease of sharing information in person, electronic documentation, finger interaction, etc - is more important.  The list here is wide - real estate, sales, construction, maintenance, education, music, photography, other creatives, and more.  In these areas an iPad is quite often better than a PC, or a mobile phone (including a "phablet").  Maybe it is still not the only tool, but for many, a much better tool most of the time.

Also, the nature of work changes.  When PC's entered the workplace, people didn't use them as today, but often as digital counterparts to the typewriter, mail carrier, etc.  After the technology diffuses into the workplace, and applications develop, then new processes/procedures and ways of doing things change.  I can see how a job such as mine might change where MS Office isn't used, email becomes a thing of the past, and interacting with others is more important.  Perhaps then an iPad would be all that is necessary.

I love my iPad, and use it for personal applications all the time (so much better than laptop for surfing, reading, videos, quick email/messaging, gaming).  I also use it some for business (traveling for reading documentation, taking notes, email & messaging on the go).

iPad has lots of room to improve though, primarily on the SW side (& more accurate touch with optional stylus would be amazing).  And there is lots of evidence that Apple is taking this seriously - IBM partnership, now some specific iPad features, and per this article, broadening their focus on the enterprise.  

• Reply 45 of 68
    pembroke wrote: »
    Where did I mention Steve Jobs? Tell me, I'll wait.

Which reminds me, do you know how to keep a turkey in suspense? 

Do you know how to stop a stampeding elephant?
  • Reply 46 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    elijahg wrote: »
    I think Apple needs to make the iPad better value for money software-wise. It needs more creation features, maybe haptic feedback to improve its keyboard. It's great as a consumption device, but iOS (on iPad) is frustrating when trying to do any real work imo.

Agreeed!
    Ios and its lack of visible file system that can be managed by the user is also a huge inconvenience !
    And an accurate pointing device for precision work ( but i believe this one is coming soon )
    also For seriouse content creation we need better and more comprehensive apps and Ram.

Hope Apple is listening !
  • Reply 47 of 68
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Unlike Steve, I think Tim is wisely taking measures to meet enterprise needs.

Most of the world's computing is purchased by businesses, and because Windows adeptly catered to this segment, it dominated the PC era.

If iPad is to usher in the post-PC era, then it needs to also address the enterprise market. Or at least the small business segment. Maybe iPads won't be replacing PCs in the office cubicle and board rooms, but at least I can see its potential in customer-facing operations like hospitals, customer service departments, concierge services, etc.
  • Reply 48 of 68
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Where did I mention Steve Jobs? Tell me, I'll wait.

Quote:

The real problem is Apple doesn't have a visionary anymore 

Hmm, who COULD you have been referring to? Yes, definitely no way anyone would come to the conclusion of "Steve Jobs" from that statement. But keep pretending to be obtuse, pretending you're not saying what you're actually saying, because you're just too terrified to address the non sensical nature of your posts and just want to muddy the waters when questioned about your logic. 

• Reply 49 of 68
    yojimbo007 wrote: »
    elijahg wrote: »
    I think Apple needs to make the iPad better value for money software-wise. It needs more creation features, maybe haptic feedback to improve its keyboard. It's great as a consumption device, but iOS (on iPad) is frustrating when trying to do any real work imo.

Agreeed!
    Ios and its lack of visible file system that can be managed by the user is also a huge inconvenience !
    And an accurate pointing device for precision work ( but i believe this one is coming soon )
    also For seriouse content creation we need better and more comprehensive apps and Ram.

Hope Apple is listening !

I think most of this is doable:
    • expose the iOS file system to an extent -- maybe a shared folder with authorized access to iOS apps
    • enhance the virtual kb with cursor keys, tab key, etc.
    • enable high-speed USB 3 connection to a Mac/PC -- possibly via Lightening cable
    • provide precise, pressure-sensitive stylus input
    • provide hardware to support above

Then you could connect the iPad to your Mac/PC via WiFi or USB 3 -- and transfer files, backup, etc.

With a well-supported stylus and fast connection, the iPad could replace the Wacom tablet for creatives.

With a fast USB connection, an iPad could be used for custom keyboards and/or additional displays for pro audio and video editing apps.

The potential here for creatives, enterprise, education, institutions and SMBs is to have a set of integrated apps that share data and operate the same across all supported platforms -- iOS-only;  iOS-Cloud-connected;  ios-OSX-connected;  iOS-'Nix-connected;  iOS-Windows connected ...

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could write iPad apps on the iPad using Xcode and Swift (or Objective-C)?
  • Reply 50 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    • expose the iOS file system to an extent -- maybe a shared folder with authorized access to iOS apps
    • enable high-speed USB 3 connection to a Mac/PC -- possibly via Lightening cable

Then you could connect the iPad to your Mac/PC via WiFi or USB 3 -- and transfer files, backup, etc.

With a well-supported stylus and fast connection, the iPad could replace the Wacom tablet for creatives.

With a fast USB connection, an iPad could be used for custom keyboards and/or additional displays for pro audio and video editing apps.

The potential here for creatives, enterprise, education, institutions and SMBs is to have a set of integrated apps that share data and operate the same across all supported platforms -- iOS-only;  iOS-Cloud-connected;  ios-OSX-connected;  iOS-'Nix-connected;  iOS-Windows connected ...

Wouldn't it be interesting if you could write iPad apps on the iPad using Xcode and Swift (or Objective-C)?

Looking forward to the day !!! I have written apple about this soooooooo many times !

I also would like to see a hybrid device with a scalable/adabtable os, further blurring the barrier between osx and ios. ... The new macbook is proof it can be done properly and Beautifully.

If Apple is serious about the Enterprise.....I hope they are actively working on such devices and not sitting on their hiney ..
    Its time for it now, its even a bit late..... With MS pushing windows 10 and surface to the enterprise....
  • Reply 51 of 68
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

• expose the iOS file system to an extent

Well you can sort of do this already although it is a little bit of a kludge.

1. Connect your iPad to your computer and select your device in iTunes.

2. Click Apps. The apps that are allowed to transfer files will show in the list.

3. Below File Sharing, select an app from the list, and click Add.

4. In the window that appears, select a file to transfer, and click Open.

The thing that is confusing is in order to copy to your computer you click save to, but to copy to your iPad you click sync.

• Reply 52 of 68
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    With just FileMaker Pro you can build almost half of the AppStore. iPad is an excellent business device and its marketing is just beginning in business sense. Until now the device sold itself easily to consumers. Now it is time to truly market it to professionals.
  • Reply 53 of 68
    mstone wrote: »

• expose the iOS file system to an extent
    Well you can sort of do this already although it is a little bit of a kludge.

1. Connect your iPad to your computer and select your device in iTunes.

2. Click Apps. The apps that are allowed to transfer files will show in the list.

3. Below File Sharing, select an app from the list, and click Add.

4. In the window that appears, select a file to transfer, and click Open.

The thing that is confusing is in order to copy to your computer you click save to, but to copy to your iPad you click sync.

I didn't know you could do that!

IMO, that's quite a Kludge.

Why does that bloat iTunes need to be involved? This should be an option at the OS level on both devices.

The UI should be designed for the power user of the computer -- or power user of the computer app, e..g. FCPX, Logic. etc.

I'll have find and charge them to review the interface -- but I have several old iPods that showed their file system in the Mac Finder. AIR, I had complete access to inside the iPod file structure (the song folders, etc. Also, I could transfer outside of the iPod file structure -- similar to using a thumb drive. I used it to do new installs of OS X across all our Macs.

I don't remember what it looked like from the iPod end -- but there was some indication of external files.
  • Reply 54 of 68
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    The iPad is too expensive and is poor value.  I just bought my daughter a Toshiba 15" laptop with an i5 2.2 Ghz, 4 Gb RAM and a 500 Gb HD for €504.  An iPad Air 2 with 64 Gb would have cost €609.  F*** that!  Appropriate words would be along the lines of risible and insane.

the iPad is a great value, which is why I've bought several of them.

you seem to be confusing specs for features. common mistake.
  • Reply 55 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by am8449 View Post

Most of the world's computing is purchased by businesses, and because Windows adeptly catered to this segment, it dominated the PC era.

Most computing "used to" be purchased by businesses, but with the extension of computing to mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) & growth in consumer PCs, that is no longer the case.  Consumer segment is what is driving overall "personal" computing trends.

That said, I fully agree with you that Tim is putting more focus on expanding Apple's presence in business, as these are markets that Apple is under represented in, and thus potential for growth.

• Reply 56 of 68
    By your logic, I haven't personally seen anyone with Ebola, therefore it does not exist. :rolleyes:

so you spend a lot of time wandering the halls at Apple, chatting up the product managers? errr, no. of course you don't. you don't have clue whatsoever who has ideas for what because you're just some guy on the web and not at Apple.
  • Reply 57 of 68
    yojimbo007 wrote: »

Looking forward to the day !!! I have written apple about this soooooooo many times !

I also would like to see a hybrid device with a scalable/adabtable os, further blurring the barrier between osx and ios. ... The new macbook is proof it can be done properly and Beautifully.

If Apple is serious about the Enterprise.....I hope they are actively working on such devices and not sitting on their hiney ..
    Its time for it now, its even a bit late..... With MS pushing windows 10 and surface to the enterprise....

Yup! Apple could out-Windows MS -- With full Office now available on the iPad, Apple could offer an iPad interface for the Windows 10 platform ...
  • Reply 58 of 68
    danvm wrote: »
    My experience with my MBA and iPhone 5s haven't been the best, with bugs in both devices.  I went to Apple Support Forums and there is a looooong list of people with lot of issues.  Do you really thing that because you haven't problems other people aren't affected?  Go to the forums and that will change your mind. 

And yes, Windows updates monthly.  It's call Patch Tuesday.  . 

this has been banged so many times, but once more -- software has bugs. all software. except unused software. Apple bugs get more attention now because they're absolutely killing it in sales. but its software is no more buggy than any other major operating system, regardless of the positive bias you experience when you spend time in support groups dedicated to...problems.

get it?
  • Reply 59 of 68
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Most computing "used to" be purchased by businesses, but with the extension of computing to mobile devices (smart phones and tablets) & growth in consumer PCs, that is no longer the case.  Consumer segment is what is driving overall "personal" computing trends.

That said, I fully agree with you that Tim is putting more focus on expanding Apple's presence in business, as these are markets that Apple is under represented in, and thus potential for growth.

You make an interesting point.

Do you happen to know what the statistics on consumer vs. corporate spending on computing are? I guess I wouldn't be surprised if consumer spending has out-paced corporate spending, given that Apple continues to post record profits that beat all their competitors.

• Reply 60 of 68
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,409member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

this has been banged so many times, but once more -- software has bugs. all software. except unused software. Apple bugs get more attention now because they're absolutely killing it in sales. but its software is no more buggy than any other major operating system, regardless of the positive bias you experience when you spend time in support groups dedicated to...problems.

get it?

I already know that all software has bugs, but from some reason, and based on your post, nobody should have problems since you don't have faced with bugs in OS X or iOS. 

Bugs in OS X and iOS are getting more attention because Apple quality control is getting worst.  How in the world they release iOS 8.0.1 that broke the cellular reception in the iPhone?  What about Yosemite performing worst that Mavericks?

http://www.macworld.co.uk/feature/mac-software/os-x-mavericks-vs-os-x-yosemite-speed-testing-3598975/

And there is a long list of other issues.  I, neither you, know if OS X / iOS is more or less buggy than other operating systems.  What is clear is that Apple quality is going down.  What is interesting is that MS recent shakeup is giving results with great products and applications are getting better with every release.  Maybe Apple needs a shakeup too.   There is no excuse for Apple to release poor code when you consider they have control of the hardware platform with so few differences.  The Apple forums and my own experience is proof of that. 

Get it?