Apple making unlikely enterprise bedfellows to bolster sagging iPad sales

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    danvmdanvm Posts: 1,396member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Yup! Apple could out-Windows MS -- With full Office now available on the iPad, Apple could offer an iPad interface for the Windows 10 platform ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Looking forward to the day !!! I have written apple about this soooooooo many times !

I also would like to see a hybrid device with a scalable/adabtable os, further blurring the barrier between osx and ios. ... The new macbook is proof it can be done properly and Beautifully.

If Apple is serious about the Enterprise.....I hope they are actively working on such devices and not sitting on their hiney ..

Its time for it now, its even a bit late..... With MS pushing windows 10 and surface to the enterprise....

I always thought that Apple would never release a hybrid device, since Cook said they are like "converge a toaster and a refrigerator".  Looks like MS was right the whole time. 

• Reply 62 of 68
    Wow, to the earlier comments, stop bashing customer feedback. I agree, the iPad could be easier to use, in many ways. I totally agree with the suggestions on a better file system. And syncing these devices is a pain unless your other computers, OS and iTunes fit into a tiny span of a few years in which your device will actually work with them. My first Apple was a Lisa 2. I'm glad people are speaking up. Disappointed customers means continued decline or innovation. Here's hoping for the latter.
  • Reply 63 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    danvm wrote: »

I always thought that Apple would never release a hybrid device, since Cook said they are like "converge a toaster and a refrigerator".  Looks like MS was right the whole time. 
    Ofcourse a single os is better! Makes everyones life easier.... From Apple to developers to consumers... Cook and apple know this clearly too .
    It is a question of technology and hardware allowing the implementation of more robust os like osx on smaller portable devices..

Few years back when MS attenpted it the technology was not there to support it..
    But that is not the case anymore... Apple new macbook is the testament to this from a hardware perspective..... All Apple has to do is merge osx and ios in an scalable and adaptable manner.

They have to do it ...its time and key to Enerprise ......
  • Reply 64 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Why is MS right the whole time - I must have missed something?  Is there a report which shows the Surface Pro beginning to sell in numbers like the iPad?  A stat which shows sharp growth into at least millions of units per quarter?

• Reply 65 of 68
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brucemc View Post

Why is MS right the whole time - I must have missed something?  Is there a report which shows the Surface Pro beginning to sell in numbers like the iPad?  A stat which shows sharp growth into at least millions of units per quarter?

Numbers doesn't always show the whole story.  But since you bring the numbers thing, that means that Windows 8.1 was far better than OS X, since it old a lot more than all OS X versions combined.  Would you agree with that?

IMO, Windows 8.1 (now Windows 10) and OS X have both, positives and negatives.  But based in your post, since Windows 8.1 has a lot more market share, it's better.  Numbers is what defines quality.  Sorry, but I don't agree with you.  

• Reply 66 of 68
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    brucemc wrote: »
    There are reports that windows 10 and surface are gaining tracktion due to seamless integration between tablets and desktops ....
    I am a major apple fan... But there is no doubt in my mind that a single scalable/adaptable os is better than two seperat os connected through some narrow bridges.

Apple will do it... I hope they dont wait too long ... Its time for it now ! Imho
  • Reply 67 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DanVM View Post

Numbers doesn't always show the whole story.  But since you bring the numbers thing, that means that Windows 8.1 was far better than OS X, since it old a lot more than all OS X versions combined.  Would you agree with that?

IMO, Windows 8.1 (now Windows 10) and OS X have both, positives and negatives.  But based in your post, since Windows 8.1 has a lot more market share, it's better.  Numbers is what defines quality.  Sorry, but I don't agree with you.  

Nice try at deflection!  Comparing your Apples and Oranges again.  The question had nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with Mac OS X and Windows.

Now, let's get back to the question.  You implied that MS was right about the hybrid device (Surface Pro) - a tablet that uses a full "desktop" OS, so that a user only has to purchase a single device.  That this is a better approach than Apple has taken, which is to have a touch-optimized OS for their touch devices.  That MS was right must imply that this decision has resulted in some significant increases in their tablet shipments.  I was asking where that was showing up.  

• Reply 68 of 68
    Quote:

Nice try at deflection!  Comparing your Apples and Oranges again.  The question had nothing - absolutely nothing - to do with Mac OS X and Windows.

Again, you asked for numbers, and I showed you an example on how numbers don't tell the whole story, and use OS  X / Windows as an example of it.  

Quote:

Now, let's get back to the question.  You implied that MS was right about the hybrid device (Surface Pro) - a tablet that uses a full "desktop" OS, so that a user only has to purchase a single device.  That this is a better approach than Apple has taken, which is to have a touch-optimized OS for their touch devices.  That MS was right must imply that this decision has resulted in some significant increases in their tablet shipments.  I was asking where that was showing up.  

You should read my previous posts, because I never said that MS had a better approach than Apple.  A lot of people, including Tim Cook because hybrid devices are like a fridge + toaster and "those things are not going to be probably be pleasing to the user" (using his own words).  Before that Steve Jobs dismissed the stylus on tablets.  All of that, while MS kept making the Surface better in each release and now we have the SP3, which is a great hybrid device with a useful stylus.  

And the sales numbers supports that. 

July 2015 - growth of 117% 

April 2015 - growth of 44%

Jan 2015 - Growth of 24%

Oct 2014 - Growth of 127%

I found those numbers in Google.  Looks like they were right.  They only need a few years to have the right device to prove them wrong.