'KeyRaider' malware harvests 225,000 Apple IDs from jailbroken iOS devices

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I think AppleInsider is remiss in calling this an iOS exploit, like, I'm sure, the other less informed media outlets will do as well.

iOS does not, nor will allow this exploit. It is the "no-longer-iOS" devices that allow this and AI shouldn't be adding to the FUD by sloppily reporting this as iOS.

I agree with this 100%. AppleInsider is being irresponsible by using that wording... "a new form of iOS malware"... as if there are many other forms?

I also cringed when I read "new form of iOS malware making its way around the jailbreak scene" !

iOS malware and jailbreak should NOT be used in the same sentence.

Jailbreaking breaks and dumbs down iOS security to Android levels and should not be called iOS anymore, maybe something like UhOhS.

For those who still jailbreak for some exotic feature and know what they're getting into and take necessary precautions, knock yourself out.

For those who don't, no sympathy here either.

• Reply 42 of 48
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

Enough JB hating! Has nothing to do with piracy. When apple opens up the UI etc... THEN there will be no reason. Stop the FUD. Learn before you JB. And yes it is animated...

This is the ugliest thing I've ever seen, keep it away from me! Do you claim that most people jailbreaking know what they're doing? Considering the incredible number number 200K+!, I'd say that's not the case. Trading some UI flourishes (and not much else these days) for the added risk for idiot jailbreakers doesn't seem a good tradoff.

• Reply 43 of 48
    vmarksvmarks Posts: 762editor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I think AppleInsider is remiss in calling this an iOS exploit, like, I'm sure, the other less informed media outlets will do as well.

iOS does not, nor will allow this exploit. It is the "no-longer-iOS" devices that allow this and AI shouldn't be adding to the FUD by sloppily reporting this as iOS.

The exploit was the initial jailbreak.

This is malware running on an exploited system.

It's a distinction that simply won't matter to most people - vulnerable is vulnerable - but the difference here is that the user intentionally exploited iOS to jailbreak it for some purpose, and the malware happened afterwards.

• Reply 44 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The iOS "Walled Garden" doesn't seem so bad now, does it? image

It's great actually, unless you intentionally circumvent the iOS security architecture in your device.

• Reply 45 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bkkcanuck View Post

The weakest link in security is stupid users.  This is akin to walking up to a stranger on the street -- borrowing a dirty needle and injecting yourself with it....  

Yes, users who jailbreak their device thinking that they know iOS better than the computer scientists and software engineers at Apple.

• Reply 46 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by twistedarts View Post

Enough JB hating! Has nothing to do with piracy. When apple opens up the UI etc... THEN there will be no reason. Stop the FUD. Learn before you JB. And yes it is animated...

This is a joke, right?

• Reply 47 of 48
    jony0jony0 Posts: 378member

My mother sent me this link bait with the title :

More than 225,000 Apple iPhone accounts hacked

http://money.cnn.com/2015/09/01/technology/apple-iphone-account-hack/index.html

As always, it’s just incredible how mainstream media hates Apple, CNN in particular and especially CNN Money.

This time I couldn't resist leaving this comment over there :

Very misleading title. From the same author who would hate Ford we could expect :

More than 25,000 Ford car contents stolen

Thieves have stolen valuables from inside more than 25,000 Ford cars

Security company Palo Alto Wheeler Dealers is calling the attack "the largest known Ford targeted theft caused by thieves."

The good news for most Ford owners is that the thieves only target "jailbroken” Fords, the ones whose owners deliberately disabled the alarm system and left the car doors unlocked while shopping at flea markets.

• Reply 48 of 48
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    It's sickening that semi legitimate news sites like CNN would splash screaming headlines about 225k Apple devices being hacked. The average Joe doesn't know the different between "jailbreak" and "jailbait" so Apple is declared guilty by misleading headlines. I wonder what CNN has against Apple? Are they really that desperate for clicks that they have to stoop to such unscrupulous and amateurish behavior that's more often associated with the National Enquirer than CNN?

I've lost all respect for CNN.