One of Apple's first 'next-generation' US retail store designs will debut near Memphis

Comments

• Reply 21 of 48

New photo of NHUGHES to be debut on AppleInsider 

This is a picture of a donkey from Uncle Bob's farm.

• Reply 22 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I like this move.  

The current stores still look nice and clean but they are beginning to look a bit dated.  And so many other stores have copied the Apple stores that they are beginning to look generic.

Agreed. And at least they don't have John Browett running things.

• Reply 23 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    chadmatic wrote: »
    You have to admit, AI made a poor image choice to go along with the headline, because you would assume that the image is the new store.  A good editor wouldn't let that happen.  Yes, I understand that the caption explains that this is the current store, but still...

Yeah not the smartest thing to do. Not having a photo would've been better.
  • Reply 24 of 48
    You have to admit, AI made a poor image choice to go along with the headline, because you would assume that the image is the new store.  A good editor wouldn't let that happen.  Yes, I understand that the caption explains that this is the current store, but still...

Agreed. Why the hell would you headline the story about the new design then run an old picture. If you don't have the new picture then maybe:
    A. You shouldn't have run the story
    or
    B. At least state under the photo "the design at this location currently looks like this"

To simple state the old store will be moving is not a good tie in to the headline. AI headline should have said "LOOK HOW FAR WEVE COME...." then it would have made sense to show that picture for everyone who doesn't live there which would be 99.89% of the planet.
  • Reply 25 of 48
    noivadnoivad Posts: 186member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by formosa View Post

The current interior design is simple and elegant IMO but is being copied too much, making it look dated. See the Microsoft store below.

This article doesn't reveal details of the new interior design (other than catering for displaying the Watch), so how can you form an impression of it? :\ 

Honestly, I always though the MS stores were garish copies of Apple Stores: 

(1) The array of LCDs showing different content remind one of a sports bar. This was by design no doubt, to project an “active” exciting place. The tables were still crammed too close to each other: if 1 row of people was at opposite tables off the main through-fare then getting by those 2 rows was a tight squeeze. However, I have never seen one with enough people in it to make that a problem like Apple’s packed stores. (So access is moot.) It still gives them a cramped feeling—the opposite of upscale.

About the comments: the picture is not misleading when it is labeled. Just be a professional and take responsibility for your honest mistake, instead of criticizing AI for their image choice. It was clearly labeled. BTW, you can be wrong but still be competent. Being wrong on occasion and admitting error allows you to learn, and be wrong less. Also, it is certainly better than not being able to admit a mistake because it makes you look worse than the alternative. (Take it as life advice or leave it…) Also, to the commenters jumping on this, you really don’t need that much vitriol, because the recipient usually gets more defensive, and things polarize. Let’s be better than other comment threads please because some comments are still worth reading, but wading through personal attacks is just more “noise” to wade through…(benefit of the doubt, etc.) Thanks—Flame me if you must.

Despite the “dated” comments about the storefront, I still like the 2001 influenced monolith column, so I hope they make the cut in some form. Sure, it’s 2015…but Kubrick aesthetic sensibilities (or his set/wardrobe designers’) were always great.

• Reply 26 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

New photo of NHUGHES to be debut on AppleInsider 

This is a picture of a donkey from Uncle Bob's farm.

I only bothered to get involved in this discussion because you made a personal attack, saying we don't have a "good editor" because you can't read a caption. I figured we could have a civil conversation, but I guess not.

Quote:

Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

B. At least state under the photo "the design at this location currently looks like this"

We did.

• Reply 27 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nhughes View Post

I mean, we are not a picture book. Dunno what to tell you. The picture is relevant, the headline is accurate.

Um, then don't have a picture? Or use a picture of inside an Apple Store that really just only shows customers? Or show the Apple logo alone?

I'm reminded of when I read stories (not this site specifically), and they say for example "next-gen Apple TV to debut" and then have a picture of some goofy and awful imagined idea by some random interweb photoshop goober. Happens with every new iPhone too, and the Watch. Even WSJ-D would do stuff like this, which I found absurd.

• Reply 28 of 48
    Quote:

I only bothered to get involved in this discussion because you made a personal attack, saying we don't have a "good editor" because you can't read a caption. I figured we could have a civil conversation, but I guess not.

We did.

perhaps you can use just pictures in the future - like a comic. A few people here don't bother to read anything more that the headline

• Reply 29 of 48
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member

But still, if you read the freaking article, they don't even have permission to build it yet so how are you supposed to have a picture of that?  I think the photo is appropriate for the article if you just plain read.

• Reply 30 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    nhughes wrote: »

What image would you prefer for a design that has not yet been revealed? Another, completely unrelated retail location?

I mean AI always posts fake and concept iPhone images. Remember all the rumor and concept ?Watch designs here?

Anyways isn't Memphis one of the poorest cities in the U.S? Just seems like a strange place to debut the next generation store.

I guess the opportunity arose. (Relocation)
    And this is their first priority.
    On that note, I can't wait to see what a flagship in say, Tokyo or New York will look like.
  • Reply 31 of 48
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PotatoLeekSoup View Post

......."Journalism" standards are getting lax.

You're right and apparently, so are "reading standards."   ;)

• Reply 32 of 48
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    sog35 wrote: »
    Or just read?

The caption is as clear as day.  My apologies to those who can't read.

People read the headline click on the story and the first thing the see is an existing outdated store design. I'll admit when I first clicked on the article and saw that photo I thought hmm...doesn't look like a very modern new store design. Then I read the caption and thought 'phew, it's not the new store design'.
  • Reply 33 of 48
    Quote:

I figured we could have a civil conversation, but I guess not.

How is this not a civil conversation?

• Reply 34 of 48
    nhughes wrote: »

We did.

NO YOU DIDNT! It states:
    "Apple's current Saddle Creek store in Germantown will move, if the project is approved."
    That does not state the above picture is the one their moving. Only that the location of the current store WILL be moving.
  • Reply 35 of 48
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadmatic View Post

Considering there is an image of the old store UNDER the headline that reads "NEXT GENERATION" STORE, I think it i'm misreading.

fixed

• Reply 36 of 48
    My first impression is that this a giant step backwards.

Good. All the more reason to spend time at the Microsoft Store, which is a copy of Apple's original retail design. Leave Apple to its doom.
  • Reply 37 of 48
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I like this move.  

The current stores still look nice and clean but they are beginning to look a bit dated.  And so many other stores have copied the Apple stores that they are beginning to look generic.

I like this move.  I know a bunch of clowns here will cry and yap that it sucks.  Just like how people pissed in their pants when they saw iOS7 and wished we were still on iOS6 design language.  Those people look like idiots now.  I'm sure the same thing will happen here.  People just need to calm down and realize these are PROFESSIONALS in DESIGN.  They know exactly what they are doing.

Well said....as a side note: The in-store iPad displays that accompany the AppleWatch are so superior to the iPads sitting on an acrylic stands next to the iMacs, MacBooks, etc.

• Reply 38 of 48

I'm surprised AI didn't just use an Apple Store concept rendering from Martin Hajek. ;)
  • Reply 39 of 48
    My first impression is that this a giant step backwards.

better get Tim Cook on the horn! there's a guy on the web with no knowledge of what's going on who doesn't like it and predicts doom!
  • Reply 40 of 48

no. what you have to admit is you made a poor choice by not opening your eyes and at least pretend to read the article before spurting the usual concern-troll goop out.