Rumor: New colors coming to Apple Watch Sport Band lineup next week

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2015
Current and future Apple Watch owners will reportedly have a number of new color options to choose from when picking out a Sport Band for their wearable, as Apple is said to have prepared an expanded range of color options that will be unveiled on Sept. 9.

Source: Umberta Gnutti Beretta via Twitter

There is no word on what colors Apple has selected nor how many will be added, but the company has tipped its hand in this regard before. Earlier this year, a number of celebrities were given special sport bands in a more muted palette, making that the likely direction.

Among the special colors handed out by Apple were a range of flesh tones alongside yellow, red, and navy blue. The current sport band lineup is concentrated at the brighter end of the spectrum, as noted by MacRumors, lending credence to the idea that Apple may make more neutral colors available.

Apple has also shown off special all-gold link bracelets in the past, but those are not likely to make an appearance.

Aside from watchOS 2, no other Apple Watch-related announcements are expected during next week's event. The gathering is likely to focus on the next-generation iPhones and perhaps an update to the iPad lineup.

AppleInsider will be on hand at San Francisco's Bill Graham Civic Auditorium and will bring you live coverage from inside the venue starting at 9 a.m. Pacific time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    I really want a Product(RED) sport band. Would look great with all of the watch colors.
  • Reply 2 of 23
    Black Chrome Milanese loop.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Those red and orange bands looks hot. I'd get either one of those in a heartbeat.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Great stocking stuffers for us adults.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    How about more basic colors, navy blue, basic red, forest green, sunshine/lemon yellow... You know colors adults like to wear? So far black and white are nice but the other sport colors are not for me anyway (I'm old, 46).
  • Reply 6 of 23
    So… new iPhones, new Watch bands, new iPad Pro, new Apple TV, whatever "AppleHub" [@]sog35[/@] claims will absolutely be announced? That's a lot of new HW for an iPhone announcement. I don't see that happening.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Well, I assume the sport bands are the best selling, so I get their priority. As I am not into plastic, I would like some love for the leather options as well, The loop could use some flashier options (current colors are pretty subdued), and black as the only classic option isn't really cutting it either. I love the classic buckle, it is IMO the best band besides the link bracelet. If it were available in brown, blue, green... I would buy all of them.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »
    So… new iPhones, new Watch bands, new iPad Pro, new Apple TV, whatever "AppleHub" [@]sog35[/@] claims will absolutely be announced? That's a lot of new HW for an iPhone announcement. I don't see that happening.

Gurman claims there won't be an October event. If Apple has no new Macs to announce this fall then an event just for the iPad Pro seems a bit silly.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    rogifan wrote: »
    Gurman claims there won't be an October event. If Apple has no new Macs to announce this fall then an event just for the iPad Pro seems a bit silly.

If the iPad Pro does include all the rumored features, and iOS 9.1 brings some significant changes to differentiate the iPad even more from the iPhone... Throw in a 4K iMac, new displays and some notebook / Skylake updates... Should be enough for an on campus event? (We had less, like HiFi and leather sleeves.) Of course, they may also pre announce the iPad Pro now to initiate developer support and then only do a press release later on. Both is fine with me, I just want my iPad Pro :smokey:
  • Reply 10 of 23

1) I would like there to be both a September and October event over a single, huge event, but I understand if there are no Macs with Intel's current roadmap.

2) The MBAs and Mac Pros could be updated right now with Skylake, right? Personally, I think the MBAs will be replaced with the new MB in that space (meaning: I don't think the MBAs will ever be Retina without Apple doing something radical like changing it from a laptop to a hybrid). The Mac Pro and a new Retina Cinema Display couldn't be its own event, but would yet two more things to introduce next week. Even with so much stuff I would like to see a new 21:9-ish 32-34" Retina Display with TB3, but would need Skylake so that's a no-go.

3) I wonder why the new venue. Did the need the extra seats for attendees, or were there other factors, like cost, bette stage/backstage aspects? It seems like they are renting it for about a month, which is why we even knew about it so early. What could take that long to setup?
  • Reply 11 of 23

Apropos of nothing, I just had a terrible experience trying to use a Microsoft Surface. What a terrible piece of junk. Completely confusing and very difficult just trying to perform basic things.

Apple has absolutely nothing to worry about.
  • Reply 12 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    New colors can't save Apple Watch. /s

Since it is a fashion accessory, a range of colors would be ideal.
  • Reply 13 of 23
    jungmark wrote: »

More colors from Apple means fewer potential sales lost to third party manufacturers.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    solipsismy wrote: »
    3) I wonder why the new venue. Did the need the extra seats for attendees, or were there other factors, like cost, bette stage/backstage aspects? It seems like they are renting it for about a month, which is why we even knew about it so early. What could take that long to setup?

If they would have invited journalists from a different industry, like cars or content production, I assume we would have heard by now. Either they really do extensive remodeling, or they want to keep the venue open for some days after the event. A showroom for new products, free screenings of the new Jobs movie, whatever...
  • Reply 15 of 23
    dreyfus2 wrote: »
    If the iPad Pro does include all the rumored features, and iOS 9.1 brings some significant changes to differentiate the iPad even more from the iPhone... Throw in a 4K iMac, new displays and some notebook / Skylake updates... Should be enough for an on campus event? (We had less, like HiFi and leather sleeves.) Of course, they may also pre announce the iPad Pro now to initiate developer support and then only do a press release later on. Both is fine with me, I just want my iPad Pro :smokey:

But I said IF there are no Mac updates, which it doesn't seem like there will be.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    jungmark wrote: »

The only thing that can save ?Watch is a round display. /s Did you see that post on the Verge forums comparing the Huawei watch favorably to a Breitling? Fandroids seriously think Android Wear watches are as good as $5K mechanical watches.: lol:
  • Reply 17 of 23
    mauijoe wrote: »
    How about more basic colors, navy blue, basic red, forest green, sunshine/lemon yellow... You know colors adults like to wear? So far black and white are nice but the other sport colors are not for me anyway (I'm old, 46).

I'm 39 and presently wearing the bright green. it matches my current phone case.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    The only thing that can save ?Watch is a round display. /s Did you see that post on the Verge forums comparing the Huawei watch favorably to a Breitling? Fandroids seriously think Android Wear watches are as good as $5K mechanical watches.: lol:

To be honest, while Breitling makes some extremely nice watches, I would say that some of their yacht-owner targeting Rolex-lookalikes are not less cheesy than that Huawei accident. And when it comes to showing the exact time and features, pretty much all smart watches beat every mechanical watch with ease. I own 7 mechanical watches, three of them above $10k... Since my Apple Watch arrived, I have not worn a single one of them.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    If you are interested in very nice leather Apple Watch bands checkout Monowear out of SFO. They are half the price and more substantial than Apple's.
  • Reply 20 of 23
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    I'm 39 and presently wearing the bright green. it matches my current phone case.
    For some, my brother for example, the bright colors are great, I do think they are pleasant shades. Some of us just do better with more basic colors.