Rumor: Apple to launch 21.5-inch iMac with 4K Retina display in October

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    cornchip wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who don't own a TV

Oh, we're making a count? I don't have a TV either.
  • Reply 22 of 58
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You can adjust the text size. Right click on the desktop and select Show View Options, or use Cmd + J.

Apps usually have their own text size options.

Or like every other Retina Display model it shows everything at the same size as the original display, but with 4x the pixels for sharper, more detailed text and graphics.

You would only have to adjust the font sizes if you scale the display to emulate a larger display.

• Reply 23 of 58
    A 21.5" 4K display?  I'm not so sure about that because I just hooked up my new 2K display today and the text is pretty small on a 25" screen.  It's still possible, but my guess is that the user would have to use some type of scaling/magnification to be able to read the text on screen.

Not that I don't want it to be 24" screen but with HiDPI you can configure your desktop to have larger viewing.
  • Reply 24 of 58
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    damonf wrote: »
    Personally, I think they made a business decision that they needed to "sell" Apple Music more, and thus punt AppleTV out to the fall (with the benefit of more time for "polish").

It's a shame Apple Music didn't get more time for "polish".

Just saying…
  • Reply 25 of 58
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin Freitas View Post

A 21.5" 4K display?  I'm not so sure about that because I just hooked up my new 2K display today and the text is pretty small on a 25" screen.  It's still possible, but my guess is that the user would have to use some type of scaling/magnification to be able to read the text on screen.

If it's a retina display (which this new 21.5" 4K display would be), there are options to scale the entire user-interface under ? -> System Preferences... -> Displays

• Reply 26 of 58
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

Imagining this will start with the quad-core processor model, which is today $1299.  Add the $200 premium that Apple has added to the 27" iMac for the 5K model, and that brings the starting price of the 21.5" 4K model to $1499.  That price would be the same price as the starting price of the highest CPU model of the 215" iMac, which I think Apple will not want the 4K model priced comparatively to.  Nope, so that implies the 4K 21.5" iMac will be based off the highest priced CPU configuration, which is a $1499 model.  Add $200 to that and the price is $1699, which places it conveniently $100 below the lower priced 27" iMac (the one without the 5K display).  That makes a lot of sense to me; it allows Apple to extend the starting price range of the 21.5" iMac without overlapping the starting prices of the 27" iMac.  Cool.

• Reply 27 of 58
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    macapfel wrote: »
    Oh, we're making a count? I don't have a TV either.

Uh, sure… I was just making a casual affirmation.
  • Reply 28 of 58
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member
    ericwvgg wrote: »
    Really? I only know one person with a television, everyone else has dumped them and just watches a little streaming on tablets.

(yes, I’m an atypical sample, and not as big a phenomenon as cable-cutting, but etc.)

Dorm rooms don't count.
  • Reply 29 of 58
    cornchip wrote: »
    Add me to the list of people who don't own a TV

Count me in as one without a TV :smokey:
  • Reply 30 of 58
    sflocal wrote: »
    Dorm rooms don't count.

Why wouldn't/shouldn't they?

If you didn't get the memo, the younger generation is totally immersed in their mobile and computer devices. To be honest, that's where the "real" action is, rather than the static couch potato, disengagement of watch a TV.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    I just hope there is some significant upgrade of the graphics cards as they are now so underpowered
  • Reply 32 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Retina displays are awesome. Even Windows 10 is pretty good connected to one. The only mystery is why the 21" iMac took so long. They must have been waiting for the new phosphors that give more realistic colour.

• Reply 33 of 58
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member

This is good news

I am planning to upgrade my current 27 I mac for the retina one. 

I hope that the graphic card will be improved, because 5 k are a great deal for graphic card especially mobile ones. 

I also hope that Apple will introduce PCI e SSD, at the place of the SATA one. 

• Reply 34 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by EricWVGG View Post

Really? I only know one person with a television, everyone else has dumped them and just watches a little streaming on tablets.

(yes, I’m an atypical sample, and not as big a phenomenon as cable-cutting, but etc.)

Watching TV is still watching TV whether it is video streamed via internet or via cable box, or PS4.

Whether it is via computer screen or flatscreen in the living room.

I stand by that statement. Everyone watches some TV.

The 'hobby' thing is just misdirection. Apple's had big TV (or video, if you prefer) ambitions since the days of the Quicktime TV server.

If they believe they finally have a shot at the throne, they're going to go all out for it.

• Reply 35 of 58
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

I stand by that statement. Everyone watches some TV.

Fair enough.

• Reply 36 of 58
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Count me in as one without a TV :smokey:

Does it count if you have a TV but seldom turn it on to watch anything and instead use it as a monitor for a PC? I gave up on "TV" a long time ago, no cable feeds this house.
  • Reply 37 of 58
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:

And the fact that this keynote is in a 7000-seat auditorium does matter.  You think Apple will invite all those people just for upgraded iPhones and Apple TV?

Do we know anything who all those people are? For example, are there any leaks 'entertainment' people have been invited?

• Reply 38 of 58
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Quote:

I don't care how big the room is. Apple is not going to introduce new iPhones, iPads, iMacs, MacBooks, Mac Pros and El Capitan all at one event.

An October event is all but guaranteed.

Quoted, because I'm totally a genius.

• Reply 39 of 58
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

Quoted, because I'm totally a genius.

Tim Cook outright said that Apple regards the bigger iPad as the future of personal computing. And they released a physical keyboard for it too. I wonder how long until the Mac is simply discontinued?

• Reply 40 of 58
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Tim Cook outright said that Apple regards the bigger iPad as the future of personal computing. And they released a physical keyboard for it too. I wonder how long until the Mac is simply discontinued?

I bet the Mac won’t see 2021.