Latest comScore figures show iPhone growing and cementing US marketshare

13»

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post





    The problem with your "data" is that only Apple reports actual numbers. Samsung has been caught "making shit up" when reporting sales numbers to their stockholders and the Korean government. So Samsung can present any narrative they want to cover up poor sales during a product launch. Korea has a corrupt government and legal system, and Samsung has a multiple felon running their show.

     

    @Macky the Macky : Sure, thx for supporting my view that, even if your nonsensical rambling turns out to be legit, Secular Investor's narrative is still built on fictitious data and, therefore, a BS.

  • Reply 42 of 54
    This is remarkable because normally at this time Samsung regain some of the market share then normally lose to the new iPhones in Q4 and Q1, when Samsung come out with their new models of Galaxy to compete with the now aging iPhones

    But it seems that Samsung are in real trouble, even losing market share to iPhones with their new Galaxies. Tim Cook has talked of massive switching from Androids to iPhones and here is the evidence.

    Samsung are so desperate that they have even brought forward their new models to preempt the launch of the iPhone - but to no avail, the aging iPhone 6 & 6+ just continues to gain market share.

    No wonder Samsung have desperately been offering iPhone users free trials of their new Galaxies for just $1. It seems that neither this ploy nor heavy discounting of their new Galaxies has been able to stem the growth of iPhones which are nearing the end of their life cycle.

    Now Apple are about to announce their new iPhones, which is likely to hit Samsung and Android harder still.

    Samsung and other Android makers started making phones that mimic iPhones in several ways. They started to make them slimmer. They abandoned the removable battery which turned them into "wall huggers ". They took out the memory card slot that Google rendered useless starting with KitKat. They and their carriers load so much bloat ware it reduces the user experience. Security keeps popping up on the news even if it only affects a small population of users. Why not switch to iPhone?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 319member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by mnbob1 View Post





    Samsung and other Android makers started making phones that mimic iPhones in several ways. They started to make them slimmer. They abandoned the removable battery which turned them into "wall huggers ". They took out the memory card slot that Google rendered useless starting with KitKat. They and their carriers load so much bloat ware it reduces the user experience. Security keeps popping up on the news even if it only affects a small population of users. Why not switch to iPhone?



    You know,I have always wondered, Iphone owners were wall huggers  because they don't have a removable battery, till android hardware seals the batteries in, Then it becomes the "obvious way it has to be done". And iPhone sucks because you can't use SD cards, again till android hardware removes them, Then Siri sucks because you shouldn't be talking -to- your phone, you should talk to people on your phone, until google voice and s-voice come out, then it's great! Ditto with fingerprint id (though I am told that it -still- doesn't work very well on samesung phones).

     

    I question the intelligence or the retention (perhaps both ;-) of android sufferers. This goes on and on, don't they ever wake up and get that their phones are years behind (and the nonsense feed to them is just propaganda, to placate then until those features can be copied (normally poorly)). And even when they finally get those features, years later, they are typically just half assed, poorly functioning copies of the Apple version.

  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

     



    You know,I have always wondered, Iphone owners were wall huggers  because they don't have a removable battery, till android hardware seals the batteries in, Then it becomes the "obvious way it has to be done". And iPhone sucks because you can't use SD cards, again till android hardware removes them, Then Siri sucks because you shouldn't be talking -to- your phone, you should talk to people on your phone, until google voice and s-voice come out, then it's great! Ditto with fingerprint id (though I am told that it -still- doesn't work very well on samesung phones).

     

    I question the intelligence or the retention (perhaps both ;-) of android sufferers. This goes on and on, don't they ever wake up and get that their phones are years behind (and the nonsense feed to them is just propaganda, to placate then until those features can be copied (normally poorly)). And even when they finally get those features, years later, they are typically just half assed, poorly functioning copies of the Apple version.


     

    @indyfx : well, except that Samsung's voice assistant, later known as S-Voice, came out about 6 months earlier than Apple's copycat did. Of course, Siri was great although it couldn't give drive instruction outside the US while the S-Voice did.  Apple invented everything first obviously. I guess this groupthinking really works well for some AI'ers here. 

  • Reply 45 of 54
    tooltalk wrote: »
    @indyfx : well, except that Samsung's voice assistant, later known as S-Voice, came out about 6 months earlier than Apple's copycat did. Of course, Siri was great although it couldn't give drive instruction outside the US while the S-Voice did.  Apple invented everything first obviously. I guess this groupthinking really works well for some AI'ers here. 

    It's amazing how you always lie about shit that is so easy to look up. At least use undefinable terms found in marketing to obfuscate your jackassary, instead of things with very clear date stamps.

    Apple Siri
    Initial release: October 4, 2011

    Samsung S Voice
    Initial release: May 30, 2012

    PS: You would have been much better off trying to pooh-pooh Apple by claiming that Google Now is better than Siri or that Apple purchased the company that made the 3rd-party App Store app by the same name.
    PPS: It's always so weird to me when people like you try to argue who/what was first without any consideration for who/what is best. Siri beat Google Now to the punch, and yet Google Now has been better than Siri since nearly its release. Why? Because Google had already done a crap load of research with GOOG-411 and as a result had considerable experience by then. What Google didn't have was an idea on how to use that shelved IP, that is, until Apple introduced Siri. All these years and Google had all the parts sitting around with no one having the foresight to see how this could be a value added service… or may they did, but the wrong person saw it, which then begs the question on their ability to manage… or maybe it didn't make any financial sense at the time because the users of Android and Chrome are not the customers… but the product.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 319member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    It's amazing how you always lie about shit that is so easy to look up. At least use undefinable terms found in marketing to obfuscate your jackassary, instead of things with very clear date stamps.

     
    Apple Siri

    Initial release: October 4, 2011



    Samsung S Voice

    Initial release: May 30, 2012



    PS: You would have been much better off trying to pooh-pooh Apple by claiming that Google Now is better than Siri or that Apple purchased the company that made the 3rd-party App Store app by the same name.

    PPS: It's always so weird to me when people like you try to argue who/what was first without any consideration for who/what is best. Siri beat Google Now to the punch, and yet Google Now has been better than Siri since nearly its release. Why? Because Google had already done a crap load of research with GOOG-411 and as a result had considerable experience by then. What Google didn't have was an idea on how to use that shelved IP, that is, until Apple introduced Siri. All these years and Google had all the parts sitting around with no one having the foresight to see how this could be a value added service… or may they did, but the wrong person saw it, which then begs the question on their ability to manage… or maybe it didn't make any financial sense at the time because the users of Android and Chrome are not the customers… but the product.



    He though he was being slick, he attempted to compare samesung voice assistant (which Apple had had since the 3G days) with Siri and hoped no one would notice.

     

    Truth is samesung first copied rudimentary voice recognition and control several years after iOS had it (as I recall that was the 3G back in 2008-2009)

    And then they copied Siri  calling it s-voice (which is AI inference driven speech recognition a very different animal from voice control) nearly a year after Apple released it.

     

    They are a shameless rip off company and their biggest crime is they don't even make good copies.

  • Reply 47 of 54
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    It's amazing how you always lie about shit that is so easy to look up. At least use undefinable terms found in marketing to obfuscate your jackassary, instead of things with very clear date stamps.

     
    Apple Siri

    Initial release: October 4, 2011



    Samsung S Voice

    Initial release: May 30, 2012



    PS: You would have been much better off trying to pooh-pooh Apple by claiming that Google Now is better than Siri or that Apple purchased the company that made the 3rd-party App Store app by the same name.

    PPS: It's always so weird to me when people like you try to argue who/what was first without any consideration for who/what is best. Siri beat Google Now to the punch, and yet Google Now has been better than Siri since nearly its release. Why? Because Google had already done a crap load of research with GOOG-411 and as a result had considerable experience by then. What Google didn't have was an idea on how to use that shelved IP, that is, until Apple introduced Siri. All these years and Google had all the parts sitting around with no one having the foresight to see how this could be a value added service… or may they did, but the wrong person saw it, which then begs the question on their ability to manage… or maybe it didn't make any financial sense at the time because the users of Android and Chrome are not the customers… but the product.

     

    @solipismY: *yawn*  Sure, I see that you are really trying too hard to be cute here. Now, as for Samsung's first voice assistant (aka, VoiceTalk -- later repackaged as S-Voice, first bundled with the Galaxy S2.

     

    Apple Siri : initial release in Oct, 2011

    Samsung Voice-Talk : initial release in May, 2011

     

    and I'd let the video do the talking (dated May, 2011)

     

    Good luck with Google Now or Apple's copied Siri -- I don't use either, couldn't care less how they developed over time.  They all suck.   It certainly won't disprove that Apple is a follower.  *ahem*

  • Reply 48 of 54
    tooltalk wrote: »

    Why you quote the comment, which includes the commenter's name, there is no need to further write their name. But, still, thank you for at least doing some level of quoting which isn't often found with many trolls.
    *yawn*

    Excellent rebuttal¡
    Sure, I see that you are really trying hard to be cute here.

    It's called effective writing. I implore you to give it a go sometime.
    Now, as for Samsung's first voice assistant (aka, VoiceTalk -- later repackaged as S-Voice, first bundled with the Galaxy S2.qqq

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Apple Siri : initial release in Oct, 2011</span>

    Samsung Voice-Talk : initial release in May, 2011

    and I'd let the video do the talking (dated May, 2011) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt81IUOI-nM

    As [@]IndyFX[/@] already stated, by that measure then Apple had voice talk with the iPhone 3G.
    I don't use either, couldn't care less how they developed over time.  They all suck.

    And that's exactly why you get trounced so decisively when you try to spin your anti-Apple arguments. You simply aren't someone who cares about technology, much less even attempts to look at technology through an objective eye, so you'll never going to get a see a full picture of anything happening in the industry, hence, your inability to understand how and why technologies are built, adopted and evolved.
    It certainly won't disprove that Apple is a follower. *ahem*

    So Apple acquires Siri on April 28, 2010 because of Vlingo service licensed to Samsung in May 2011 (or so you claim)? Does that make really sense to you? So Apple is copying Samsung by going into the future to steal their shittiest ideas which get dropped the moment Apple releases their product (read: good product, not a me-first product)? That makes perfect sense¡
  • Reply 49 of 54
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 319member

    Tool talk,

    What a croc... samsung's original voice assistant didn't work worth a crap (which is not surprising as the one they were copying Apple's voice control didn't work very well either)  But s-voice was NOT a repackaged voice assistant. Nice try to re-write history but s-voice was a brand new project (and was a a AI inference & context aware engine (just like they one they copied... Siri)

     

    As proof of how well voice assistant worked, take the first comment on the video you linked (posted 3 years ago so this was not a setup)

    "This commercial is VERY deceptive. I returned my Galaxy 2 because voice dialing is poor. When the phone locks or screen goes off you must manually unlock the screen and restart the app. You can also not use a headset with the device when the phone locks. It is HARDLY handsfree. VERY deceptive commercial. AND i bought the thing! Returned it just yesterday. I need handsfree dialing!"

     

    Not surprising Apple's voice recognition (the one released in 2008) which is what they copied didn't work ver well either. What was needed was total rethink of voice recognition technology which apple did with the release of Siri and then samesung also copied that, which they released as s-voice.

  • Reply 50 of 54
    Quote:



    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post





    Why you quote the comment, which includes the commenter's name, there is no need to further write their name. But, still, thank you for at least doing some level of quoting which isn't often found with many trolls.

    Excellent rebuttal¡

    It's called effective writing. I implore you to give it a go sometime.

    As @IndyFX already stated, by that measure then Apple had voice talk with the iPhone 3G.

    And that's exactly why you get trounced so decisively when you try to spin your anti-Apple arguments. You simply aren't someone who cares about technology, much less even attempts to look at technology through an objective eye, so you'll never going to get a see a full picture of anything happening in the industry, hence, your inability to understand how and why technologies are built, adopted and evolved.

    So Apple acquires Siri on April 28, 2010 because of Vlingo service licensed to Samsung in May 2011 (or so you claim)? Does that make really sense to you?

     

    @SolipsismY : Sure, Samsung never developed their own voice assistance and outsourced Vlingo (on the S2 through S4)  and Nuance (the S5 and on).  According to @IndyFX's laughable logic, Samsung's VoiceTalk in2012 doesn't account because it relied on Vlingo and, by extension, Samsung's S-Voice still doesn't account and doesn't really exist since it's still powered by Nuance.   You see where you and your friend's sad logic fails?  LOL

  • Reply 51 of 54
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Sure, Samsung never developed their own voice assistance and outsourced Vlingo (on the S2 through S4)

    And you finally admit it. Well done. Do you feel better now with that lie off your chest?
    According to <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/73697/IndyFX" style="display:inline-block;">@IndyFX</a>
    's laughable logic, Samsung's VoiceTalk in2012 doesn't account because it relied on Vlingo and, by extension, Samsung's S-Voice still doesn't account and doesn't really exist since it's still powered by Nuance.   You see where you and your friend's sad logic fails?  LOL

    S Voice counts because it's merely powered by Nuance on the backend. That's a Samsung feature all the way. Siri also licensed Nuance for voice recognition, just as Apple Maps is also powered by Yelp to get business reviews. Nuance is used by pretty much everyone who want great speech recognition, except for Google Now, and there has been word for years of Apple developing their own to replace Nuance. You would know all that if you actually looked at technology for anything other than making false and facile comments about companies you irrationally hate.
  • Reply 52 of 54
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Oh so because I don’t say something totally positive about Apple but I still like and use Apple products, I can't say anything. Got it. Look, if these numbers were reversed, Apple down Samsung up, at least one person if not several what say exactly what I sarcastically said in my original post about the report and Samsung. It happens every single time. That's why I said in my second paragraph that we only say that about the other companies. Relax.

    your post reads as if you actually believe Apple paid for the report and thus it should be discredited. I don't think you were being sarcastic about that.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    tooltalk wrote: »
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Good luck with Google Now or Apple's copied Siri -- I don't use either, couldn't care less how they developed over time.  They all suck.   It certainly won't disprove that Apple is a follower.  *ahem*</span>

    right. follower. ignoring for a moment that android followed iOS. or that android phones practically all use Apple design cues now (sealed battery, no removable memory, slim). or that Samsung uses blatant design elements copied from iPhones directly (too many to recite). that laptops all ape MacBooks now. etc etc...

    Apple leads. your boys follow. it hurts.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post



    And you finally admit it. Well done. Do you feel better now with that lie off your chest?

    S Voice counts because it's merely powered by Nuance on the backend. That's a Samsung feature all the way. Siri also licensed Nuance for voice recognition, just as Apple Maps is also powered by Yelp to get business reviews. Nuance is used by pretty much everyone who want great speech recognition, except for Google Now, and there has been word for years of Apple developing their own to replace Nuance. You would know all that if you actually looked at technology for anything other than making false and facile comments about companies you irrationally hate.

     

    @SolipsismY: Your comments are rude, condescending, insecure, irrelevant and deliberately misleading; so why do you expect me to respond in any other way? But I gotta ask though, when you debate, do you always prefer attacking a strawman (or is that what you call "effective writing"?)  <img class=" src="http://forums-files.appleinsider.com/images/smilies//lol.gif" />

     

    Sure, nobody claimed that Samsung created their own voice assistance (nor does it have to), but, you and your buddy here.  You see, your buddy @IndyFX is a bit of an old-school and still believes that there are people out there preaching that we shouldn't be "talking -to-" our phone (post #44). In fact, he thinks Apple's Siri was the first voice assistance to defy that misconceived conventional wisdom, though he immediately contradicted himself by pointing out that Vlingo's had been available at least since the 3G days. So I had no choice, but to interject and give him a lesson in the mobile history.

     

    Of course, you too would know all that if you actually looked at technology for the sake of technology itself (voice assistant), most features found in Apple Siri, initially released as a BETA product in Oct 2011, were fairly obvious, potentially popular, as demonstrated in Samsung's Voice Talk (or Vlingo's if you prefer), released about 6 months earlier.  Siri, further, most notably lacked the navigation / direction outside the US -- it's just too bad that Apple, after having spent so much money and time in 2010, still decided to rush out the half-baked BETA product to the public and still about a half year late.

     

    "irrationally hate"? What's there to hate?  Apple doesn't make outlandish claims like some of you do and CEO, TIm Cook, openly admits they aren't known for their "first".  

Sign In or Register to comment.