Latest comScore figures show iPhone growing and cementing US marketshare

2

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 54
    Strange way to spend sp much of your time posting over 500 comments on AppleInsider when you claim you "don't really care either way. Apple, Samsung or any other OEMs could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to me as do not care"

    Over a few years it's really not that many posts. I like Apple but don't live and die by Apple.



    That tact is getting so old: Make a dig at Apple (or say some other negative thing), then act nonchalant and say you were just being sarcastic. Can you guys switch it up a bit?

    Oh so because I don’t say something totally positive about Apple but I still like and use Apple products, I can't say anything. Got it. Look, if these numbers were reversed, Apple down Samsung up, at least one person if not several what say exactly what I sarcastically said in my original post about the report and Samsung. It happens every single time. That's why I said in my second paragraph that we only say that about the other companies. Relax.
  • Reply 22 of 54
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    Apple must of paid them to do this survey because how are they getting thier information. Paid shills and a bullocks report.

    Oh wait, we only say that when it's negative against Apple and the other companies are paying for the report.

    Your post has about the same level of bullock-siness as comScore's data.
  • Reply 23 of 54
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,069member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is it rising because more iPhones were sold or because Android et al were selling at a slower rate?

    Since comscore measures mobile subscribers and not sales, this is nearly impossible to answer. It could just mean that more old Android devices than iPhones got retired... Interpreting that without considering other (sales) stats can be misleading.
  • Reply 24 of 54
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post





    Are you getting worried.? Sore Samsung/Android loser?



    There is lots of evidence that Apple are doing well, including the fact that the last quarter earnings report showed that YonY iPhone unit sales were up 35%, profits were up 37.7% % - while Samsung’s tanked. 




    Why would I be worried? I don't really care either way. Apple, Samsung or any other OEMs could disappear tomorrow and it wouldn't matter to me as do not care. I was being sarcastic because that what some people on here say when it's negative against Apple.



    You know, you could have saved yourself a couple lines of type by just saying: "I was just being a troll". Short & sweet.

  • Reply 25 of 54
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 2,973moderator
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post





    Any ONE of those things would be a "modest upgrade" in the past... Now Apple throws them ALL into a mid-step iPhone and the author calls it a "modest upgrade".



    What would Apple need to do to get the author excited??

     

     

    What the analysts, and apparently the writer's of articles, seem to miss is that the iPhone 6S/6S+ are major upgrades, equal in scope to the 6/6+, to those on the S two-year cycle.  And there are more of those folks than there were last year on the major update two-year cycle.  This train will keep right on rolling, thank you very much.

  • Reply 26 of 54
    If the phone has the same casing design so there is clearly nothing really new about it¡
  • Reply 27 of 54
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,108member

    Market share is hardly cemented in this business.  It waxes and wanes based on many things.  

     

    Competition is fierce and Apple continues to stay near the top, but it doesn't mean it will be forever.

  • Reply 28 of 54
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 319member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post



    Is it rising because more iPhones were sold or because Android et al were selling at a slower rate?



    The answer to that is, yes...

    and yes. ;-)

     

    I would almost feel sorry for all the Apple haters having to deal with second (or third) rate technology on a daily basis, IF it weren't a self imposed hell.

  • Reply 29 of 54
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,199member
    The Dingleberry holdouts continue to drop off. A friend of mine bought a couple 4s' a year ago but was to lazy to set them up. His BB just bit the dust, now he's on iOS. Only two of my friends remain on droid. Except for my dumbass sister who switched to droid because better camera. We'll see how long that lasts.
  • Reply 30 of 54
    roakeroake Posts: 622member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Is it rising because more iPhones were sold or because Android et al were selling at a slower rate?

    Yup.
  • Reply 31 of 54
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,512member
    Wonder what the iPhone installed base (in use) market share is? Given the longer life of products and the hand-me-down nature of iPhones (vs competition), I would wager they have the majority of smartphones in use in the U.S.
  • Reply 32 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post



    This is remarkable because normally at this time Samsung regain some of the market share then normally lose to the new iPhones in Q4 and Q1, when Samsung come out with their new models of Galaxy to compete with the now aging iPhones

     

    @Secular Investor : where are you getting that info?  According to the same source: 

     

    July 2011: Samsung +1.0% Apple +1.2%

    July 2012: Samsung -0.3% Apple +1.9%

    July 2013: Samsung +2.1% Apple +1.2%

    July 2014: Samsung +0.7% Apple +1.0%

     

    Comscore's data show that, historically or "normally," Apple's had higher steady growth during the July 3-month period.  Now, let's also look at their 3Q, 4Q, and 1Q data:

     

    Sept 2011: Samsung 0.0%  Apple +1.3%

    Sept 2012: Samsung +0.4% Apple +2.1%

    Sept 2013: Samsung +1.2%  Apple +0.7%

    Sept 2014: Samsung +0.4%  Apple -0.4%

     

    Dec 2011: Samsung 0% Apple +2.2%

    Dec 2012: Samsung +2.3% Apple +2.0%

    Dec 2013: Samsung +1.2% Apple +1.2%

    Dec 2014: Samsung +0.7% Apple -0.1%

     

    Mar 2012: Samsung +0.7%  Apple +1.6%

    Mar 2013: Samsung +0.7%  Apple +2.7%

    Mar 2014: Samsung +0.9%  Apple -0.4%

    Mar 2015: Samsung -1.0%  Apple +1.0%

     

    as you can see, Samsung 4Q growth surpassed (or matched) Apple's past 3 years.  Their 1Q is also anything, but "normal."  Samsung's flagship usually come out in late Q1 and Q2, and, again in complete contrast your claim, Apple's market share grew faster than Samsung during those periods past 4 years 

     

    Sure, Apple's growth is remarkable, but sounds like you are trying to invent a new narrative that isn't there.  I'd safely disregard the rest of your comment. 

  • Reply 33 of 54
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 3,974member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post





    What's even more amazing is that Samsung lost market share AFTER releasing what they called their fastest best smartphones ever....

    Samsung released their best phones (GS6/6 Edge) and counterattacked on themselves with other flagships (Note5/GS6Edge+), a totally dumb business move. It shows their desperation to gain customers with the iPhone owner test drive. At the end of the test drive, I would say 99% iPhone owners will not switch to Samsung. BTW, Note5 was just released and already found design flaw with S-Pen which if inserted to the Note in wrong direction will permanently damage the pen. 

  • Reply 34 of 54
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Secular Investor View Post



    This is remarkable because normally at this time Samsung regain some of the market share then normally lose to the new iPhones in Q4 and Q1, when Samsung come out with their new models of Galaxy to compete with the now aging iPhones



    But it seems that Samsung are in real trouble, even losing market share to iPhones with their new Galaxies. Tim Cook has talked of massive switching from Androids to iPhones and here is the evidence.



    Samsung are so desperate that they have even brought forward their new models to preempt the launch of the iPhone - but to no avail, the aging iPhone 6 & 6+ just continues to gain market share.



    No wonder Samsung have desperately been offering iPhone users free trials of their new Galaxies for just $1. It seems that neither this ploy nor heavy discounting of their new Galaxies has been able to stem the growth of iPhones which are nearing the end of their life cycle.



    Now Apple are about to announce their new iPhones, which is likely to hit Samsung and Android harder still.

     

    It is not that remarkable. Lots of people want big-screen phones, and millions chose an android only because of the screen size. Most wont run out and big-screen buy an iPhone as soon as they are released, but rather wait until their contract expires. Some of those who bought a newly released samsung one or two years ago are now upgrading and have the option of a big -screen iPhone.

     

    As a lot of people are on two year contracts I would expect this trend, based on screen size,  to continue for another year.

  • Reply 35 of 54

    For those wondering, in the last 5 months Windows lost .97 million and Blackberry lost .87 million users.

    Since you put it that way...

    That's much more meaningful to read than a fraction of a point here or there...
  • Reply 36 of 54
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post





    Over a few years it's really not that many posts. I like Apple but don't live and die by Apple.

    Oh so because I don’t say something totally positive about Apple but I still like and use Apple products, I can't say anything. Got it. Look, if these numbers were reversed, Apple down Samsung up, at least one person if not several what say exactly what I sarcastically said in my original post about the report and Samsung. It happens every single time. That's why I said in my second paragraph that we only say that about the other companies. Relax.



    Wow, that's a lot of squirming to no great effect.

  • Reply 37 of 54
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

    These companies don't have access to sales figures, so anything they say should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

     

    Next week, the same outfit will be saying that Apple's marketshare has fallen to zero. They're paid by investment firms (not by Apple, not by Samsung) to swing stock prices one way or the other.

     

    Don't encourage them.

  • Reply 38 of 54
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

     

    Samsung released their best phones (GS6/6 Edge) and counterattacked on themselves with other flagships (Note5/GS6Edge+), a totally dumb business move. It shows their desperation to gain customers with the iPhone owner test drive. At the end of the test drive, I would say 99% iPhone owners will not switch to Samsung. BTW, Note5 was just released and already found design flaw with S-Pen which if inserted to the Note in wrong direction will permanently damage the pen. 




    STYLUSGATE!

     

    … okay, maybe not.

  • Reply 39 of 54
    tooltalk wrote: »
    This is remarkable because normally at this time Samsung regain some of the market share then normally lose to the new iPhones in Q4 and Q1, when Samsung come out with their new models of Galaxy to compete with the now aging iPhones

    <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/146190/Secular-Investor" style="display:inline-block;">@Secular Investor</a>
     : where are you getting that info?  According to the same source: 

    BLA BLA BLA BLA

    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Comscore's data show that, historically or "normally," Apple's had higher steady growth during the July 3-month period.  Now, let's also look at their 3Q, 4Q, and 1Q data:</span>

    BLA BLA BLA BLA

    as you can see, Samsung 4Q growth surpassed (or matched) Apple's past 3 years.  Their 1Q is also anything, but "normal."  Samsung's flagship usually come out in late Q1 and Q2, and, again in complete contrast your claim, Apple's market share grew faster than Samsung during those periods past 4 years 

    Sure, Apple's growth is remarkable, but sounds like you are trying to invent a new narrative that isn't there.  I'd safely disregard the rest of your comment. 

    The problem with your "data" is that only Apple reports actual numbers. Samsung has been caught "making shit up" when reporting sales numbers to their stockholders and the Korean government. So Samsung can present any narrative they want to cover up poor sales during a product launch. Korea has a corrupt government and legal system, and Samsung has a multiple felon running their show.
  • Reply 40 of 54
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

     

    These companies don't have access to sales figures, so anything they say should be taken with a massive pinch of salt.

     

    Next week, the same outfit will be saying that Apple's marketshare has fallen to zero. They're paid by investment firms (not by Apple, not by Samsung) to swing stock prices one way or the other.

     

    Don't encourage them.


     

    They're only good for trends. Since they're data should be at least internally consisten. On that front, they reflect no doubt reality.

    In the Android vs Apple, no doubt their numbers are pretty close because Apple publishes number and all you then need to know is how many phones are currently in circulation and how many of them are Apples.

     

    Those stats are not as hard to ascertain  than things like customer satisfaction numbers which can be more heavily biased through sampling.

Sign In or Register to comment.