Apple planning 2016 'iPhone 7' to be thinnest yet, in-line with new iPod touch & iPad Air 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 183
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Now Bendgate will have opportunities to bash again.
  • Reply 22 of 183
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They can't go bigger, so what else can they do?

Somehow Apple manages to sell millions of Macs which only get new casing designs about every three to five years on average. The Mac Pro basically used the same case design as the G5, so that stuck around for ten years. Why do we need an all new iPhone design every two?
  • Reply 23 of 183
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    By the way, what does this year's "s" stand for?

Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
  • Reply 24 of 183

I personally prefer the thickness of my 6 when it has a thin soft case on it over the bare phone. A bigger, longer lasting battery is a much better idea imo.

• Reply 25 of 183
    Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Ah this. How could it have eluded me. :)

@Falcon: ok, strength might fit. Siri was the 4s and security the 5s already.
  • Reply 26 of 183
    Whow, lets start the rumors. This is like talking about the weather in summer 2016. There will be a phone, anything else is completely blah.
  • Reply 27 of 183
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Also, please go back to straight glass screen and curved back just like iPad now. I somehow prefer that over curved glass.
  • Reply 28 of 183
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    They can't go bigger, so what else can they do?

Somehow Apple manages to sell millions of Macs which only get new casing designs about every three to five years on average. The Mac Pro basically used the same case design as the G5, so that stuck around for ten years. Why do we need an all new iPhone design every two?

Because it's expected. Past practice is a new design every 2 years except for the design change from the original iPhone, to the 3G. Can't go bigger, because they did that twice in one swoop, so they shot their load there. Thinner is the only way to go.
  • Reply 29 of 183
    The battery in my 6+ is already fantastic for my needs.
    Thinner means less volume so easier to carry on my person/ in my pocket.
    Strength of the casing is more important though (to me).
  • Reply 30 of 183
    Because it's expected. Past practice is a new design every 2 years except for the design change from the original iPhone, to the 3G. Can't go bigger, because they did that twice in one swoop, so they shot their load there. Thinner is the only way to go.

Apple had new iPods every year until they didn't. They had new iMac colors every year until they didn't. They announced the iPad in spring every year until they didn't. They went to MacWorld Expos every year until they didn't.
  • Reply 31 of 183
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

The iPhone doesn't need to get any thinner. By doing so they might be actually taking a step back, because improvements in the tech of glass on glass could provide for durable wraparound displays with better touch sensitivity, giving tangible benefits to the user but requiring a slight increase in a device's thickness.

• Reply 32 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't use Sprint or T-Mobile then.

Really, though, Apple's going to have to get off the thin train eventually. They already went arguably too far with the new MacBook, which defeats the purpose of the aluminum unibody by compromising stiffness.

I have the new MacBook. The casing is rock solid.

• Reply 33 of 183

I have the new MacBook. The casing is rock solid.

Flexing when you pick it up by a corner isnt rock solid.
  • Reply 34 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry Wild View Post

Thinner is better for me. I like the 4,7" size but it's features are substandard to the +.

If the new 6S has a 1080p quality screen; I will upgrade! Otherwise, I will hold on to my +.

Go to Samsung if you need more than retina display on a 4.7" screen. It does nothing better but drains more battery.

Btw, I believe I read your same comment in another thread or forum where people already addressed your lacking knowledge of screen resolution.

The screen on the Samsung flagships are simply gorgeous and unmatched by any other in my opinion. Even if it drains more battery, they are the best phone screens on the planet.

I would love for Apple to get that screen on their phones with a slightly bigger battery to compensate if necessary even if that means not being thinner. It simply looks that good to me versus every other phone on the market.

The one thing that I always use, no matter what I am doing when looking at my phone is the screen. I just don't think I want to buy an S6 or Note 5 to get it.

• Reply 35 of 183
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,920member
    Most people probably don't care few millimeter thicker if comes with extra battery juice. But, at this point predicting of any thing about iphone 7 is just throwing darts in dark with little intelligent.
  • Reply 36 of 183
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Screw thin. I just want them to reduce the 'footprint' size of the phone (keep screen size). That will be the shock and awe feature. Nobody cares if the phone gets any thinner.

(frankly, I am hoping for a reduced body size on the new phones on Weds. Chance's of that about 1,000,000 to 1)

• Reply 37 of 183

Kuo wants to get his rumors out early so AI and others will quote him whenever something is written about the iPhone 7.

• Reply 38 of 183
    techlover wrote: »
    The screen on the Samsung flagships are simply gorgeous and unmatched by any other in my opinion. Even if it drains more battery, they are the best phone screens on the planet.

I would love for Apple to get that screen on their phones with a slightly bigger battery to compensate if necessary even if that means not being thinner. It simply looks that good to me versus every other phone on the market.

The one thing that I always use, no matter what I am doing when looking at my phone is the screen. I just don't think I want to buy an S6 or Note 5 to get it.

They're hideously inaccurate. You just think they're nice. Its the same way TV's in the store are cranked up to max settings; you think it's nice but its awful.
  • Reply 39 of 183
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Can't we get the 2015 announced before we start getting rumours, especially obvious one, about a 2016 iPhone, or why we don't just lay it down now that the 2017 will have the same look and feel of the 2016 model and the 2018 model will be thinner or smaller in some way than the 2016 model, etc.
    Hmmm.... See how many people on this thread are claiming they would like a bigger battery at the expense of thickness? Do you need any more proof? Are you getting ready to tell them all that they're wrong and if they don't like it they should switch platforms? Or have you finally accepted that a lot of people have opinions that are different from yours and that that's okay?

As for the 2016 rumours....they are only rumours to you and I because the report doesn't come with any confirmed proof...but...that's what a rumour is, right? If Kuo actually learned something about the 2016 model, why shouldn't he share it immediately - especially on a rumour site?

You sure have a lot of strong ideas about what other people should say and do. Has anybody ever called you controlling or high-maintenance?
  • Reply 40 of 183
    tenly wrote: »
    Hmmm.... See how many people on this thread are claiming they would like a bigger battery at the expense of thickness?

The comments show people fon't want thinness at the expense of battery life or other features. If you can't see that key difference over claiming that everyone wants the phone to get bigger with no declaration of what it would cost in usability," then I see no hope for you, because these comments show they don't want thinness at the cost of usability. IOW, what they are saying is "it's already thin enough," and/or "I could stand it to be a little thicker." If someone even stated, I would like it to be thicker, by 1mm and weigh no more than 2 more ounces to get additional battery, that would be fine, but you do any of that. You're the reason we have the idiom "Be careful what you wish for."