What we expect from today's Apple event: new iPhones, a revamped Apple TV, next-gen OS updates, more

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Obviously it will go away eventually, but I don't think that time has come.

Half the reason I think Apple keeps it around is to push their cloud services. Even on a phone, 16GB really doesn't go far between the OS and a handful of videos, apps, photos and music. Heck, 32GB feels tight these days.

• Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by maccherry View Post

I want a retina display macbook air with 8 gigs of ram and half a tera byte of hd stocked with an i7 2.4 ghz chip(before turbo boost kicks in). Period. I want it now!!

Don't hold your breath.

• Reply 23 of 52
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    Wallet ready and waiting.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    16GB iPhone 6S?
    16GB of fixed storage for a smart phone designed for 2015/2016 is insanely stupid.
    If this is true, I'm really starting to wonder about what is going on in Apple's leadership...
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Don't hold your breath.

He can get that now; he just has to pay more for it.

• Reply 26 of 52
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

What I expect to occur immediately after the event is that Wall St. goes into a big AAPL selloff regardless of how awesome and spectacular the improvements, new products, and information are.

• Reply 27 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's not clear what Apple will do with the iPhone 5c, but the debut of a so-called "iPhone 6c" at Wednesday's event seems unlikely. Very few details of the device have leaked in the run-up to the briefing, and some Apple watchers have gone as far as to note that evidence of such a device has disappeared from the supply chain.

Isn't it likely we'll see the iPhone 6 remain in lowest specs, at $100 cheaper than the equivalent iPhone 6s?

When the iPhone 5s came out, the only real reason Apple released the iPhone 5c instead of keeping the iPhone 5 was they could make a stronger cheaper casing with the same internals, so they did that (with colours too).

• Reply 28 of 52

He can get that now; he just has to pay more for it.

The bit with the Retina display isn't happening though.
  • Reply 29 of 52

The only thing I expect is for Apple's stock price to drop because that's what tends to happen after they release cool products. /s

• Reply 30 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aussiepaul View Post

16GB iPhone 6S?

16GB of fixed storage for a smart phone designed for 2015/2016 is insanely stupid.

If this is true, I'm really starting to wonder about what is going on in Apple's leadership...

Don't underestimate the amount of people that use their smartphones as glorified feature phones. That's who the 16GB is for.

• Reply 31 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I was listening to John Gruber's latest podcast and he's still convinced iPads will be announced at an October event. One, because I thinks it would be too much stuff to show off at one event and two because Apple is predictible and the last few years they've had two events in the fall.

I think we will see iPads on Wednesday. The biggest reason is because of this force touch technology. I don't see how they could announce and explain it on the iPhone without giving away any surprise for the iPad. I think that technology will force the two to be announced together. My second reason is we've heard hardly any rumors of new Skylake Macs. There was one rumor of the 21.5" iMac going retina but that could easily be announced via press release. I can't see Apple having a separate event for just iPad. And I also think Skylake could bring a redesign to the rMBP and that's also something we haven't heard anything about. I think because Apple had an event in March they won't have one in October. And I also think they know the Apple Music presentation sucked so what they do present on Wednesday will be tighter and won't drag on.

My only concern with this iPad "Pro" is I hope Apple isn't releasing it before it's ready (9to5Mac is now saying it might not ship until the end of November) and I hope they have a good story to tell as to why the device was created and why it's important. We need to see it and go 'this makes sense' not 'Apple doesn't know what to do with iPad so they're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks'. Or worse, 'Apple is just copying Surface Pro'.
  • Reply 32 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Don't underestimate the amount of people that use their smartphones as glorified feature phones. That's who the 16GB is for.

If that's what they're using it for then it should be cheaper, no? A 16GB iPhone 6 is $650. That's a lot to spend on a feature phone.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Personally, I have just about given up on replacing my 2012 15in MBP anytime soon. [1]
    Why?
    Apple seems to have forgotten that Laptops do have a requirement that is not just Thin and Light. some of us go on the road for business. We need to take more than a Macbook Air with us. I run my development systems in multiple VM's. 16Gb is getting to the point of being a problem. One USB-C port and nothing else? Forget it.

you're confused. MBPs dont have the attributes you're describing in apparent fear, which are in fact limited to apples ultra portables.
  • Reply 34 of 52
    One of my Client VM's has a 350Gb Database. Even with stripping out the crud it is 250Gb. That takes a big chunk out of the 1TB.
    A lot of the Applications I develop are DB intensive. Running them off an external drive is a Pain in the neck I really don't want.

it is absolutely trivial to run VMs on an external thunderbolt SSD drive. I do much of my development this way.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,323moderator
    My solution would be to bring back the 17in workhorse. I'm sure a good few IBM'ers would like the option to use one rather than a Thinkpad.
    up to 32Gb RAM, 2TB+ of SSD storage and multiple USB3 ports.

[1] Mine has 16Gb Ram and 2TB of SSD (replaced the 1TB HDD and the Optical device).

Yes I know I'm dreaming.

The 17" display is unlikely but DDR4 memory will allow Apple to fit 32GB in the same space as 16GB. Samsung has made a 16TB 2.5" SSD:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/08/19/16tb-ssd-could-be-released-by-samsung-next-year

2TB blade drives should be possible. If the price estimate is accurate then 2TB would be $650-900.

I expect eventually Apple will replace all ports with USB C ports, which would also be Thunderbolt 3 ports. Two on each side of the 15" MBP.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    newbeenewbee Posts: 2,055member

I don't really care that much about what they will introduce  (except for a new apple TV ) as Apple is likely to revamp most of their line over the course of the year anyway. The one thing I hope to see tomorrow is more of Phil Schiller who, in my mind at least, is their best presenter. At the last special event he was almost non existent and the quality of that event was not even close to the usual professional standards of Apple's presentations. It made me wonder if there was some fall out because of his off the cuff remark (can't innovate, my ass) which I thought was hilarious and brought some of the "human factor" to that event. I hope that wasn't the case.

• Reply 37 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

If that's what they're using it for then it should be cheaper, no? A 16GB iPhone 6 is $650. That's a lot to spend on a feature phone.

I don't disagree but I've seen many people use it just for that.

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

I was listening to John Gruber's latest podcast and he's still convinced iPads will be announced at an October event. One, because I thinks it would be too much stuff to show off at one event and two because Apple is predictible and the last few years they've had two events in the fall.

I think we will see iPads on Wednesday. The biggest reason is because of this force touch technology. I don't see how they could announce and explain it on the iPhone without giving away any surprise for the iPad. I think that technology will force the two to be announced together. My second reason is we've heard hardly any rumors of new Skylake Macs. There was one rumor of the 21.5" iMac going retina but that could easily be announced via press release. I can't see Apple having a separate event for just iPad. And I also think Skylake could bring a redesign to the rMBP and that's also something we haven't heard anything about. I think because Apple had an event in March they won't have one in October. And I also think they know the Apple Music presentation sucked so what they do present on Wednesday will be tighter and won't drag on.

My only concern with this iPad "Pro" is I hope Apple isn't releasing it before it's ready (9to5Mac is now saying it might not ship until the end of November) and I hope they have a good story to tell as to why the device was created and why it's important. We need to see it and go 'this makes sense' not 'Apple doesn't know what to do with iPad so they're throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks'. Or worse, 'Apple is just copying Surface Pro'.

The biggest reason I think we see iPads announced on Wednesday but officially released in November is iOS 9.1 and apps.  I wouldn't be surprised if Apple, in conjunction with the iPad Pro, shows off bits of iOS 9.1, which will be released at the same time as iPad Pro. This gives developers around two months to get apps ready for the launch of iPad Pro. It's the same tactic Apple used with Apple Watch. 

• Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:

Well I'm only a data point of one (er, two, actually, since I'm the sole breadwinner :\), but I for one am happy for Apple to call my bluff and produce an iPad Pro - and in the alternative if they don't roll it out, I won't be buying a regular iPad, so at least in my case a Pro would not be cannibalizing other iPad sales.

For about 3 years I've been saying I'd love to get a 2nd iPad for the house, if it were a larger screen size.  Easier to read, easier to view and edit photos, etc. - so yeah, I welcome the chance to get an iPad Pro.

• Reply 40 of 52
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member

I don't think there will be any this month.
    Personally, I have just about given up on replacing my 2012 15in MBP anytime soon. [1]
    Why?
    Apple seems to have forgotten that Laptops do have a requirement that is not just Thin and Light. some of us go on the road for business. We need to take more than a Macbook Air with us. I run my development systems in multiple VM's. 16Gb is getting to the point of being a problem. One USB-C port and nothing else? Forget it.

My solution would be to bring back the 17in workhorse. I'm sure a good few IBM'ers would like the option to use one rather than a Thinkpad.
    up to 32Gb RAM, 2TB+ of SSD storage and multiple USB3 ports.

[1] Mine has 16Gb Ram and 2TB of SSD (replaced the 1TB HDD and the Optical device).

Yes I know I'm dreaming. 

I thought the same. Actually I "reinvented" whole MacBook line, to my liking:

11" and 12" MBA with better (but not Retina) screens, say 1080p, and ULV logic inside.

13" MacBook with Retina and ULV logic inside

14" and 17" MBP (or even 15" and 17" MBP) with higher power logic inside

I think that would differentiate line quite nice. As it is, they artificially keep differentiation by leaving MBA with low-res screen, even if iPad Mini has gone Retina in the meantime... but once they do upgrade them - and I would expect that it must happen at some point - models will be interfering with each other all over the place. Not to mention that naming is a bit off for me. Air should be smallest and lightest of them all. Light as air, right?