What we expect from today's Apple event: new iPhones, a revamped Apple TV, next-gen OS updates, more

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    Hey Siri, where's the new mac mini with 4k 60hz streaming?
  • Reply 42 of 52
    newbee wrote: »
    I don't really care that much about what they will introduce  (except for a new apple TV ) as Apple is likely to revamp most of their line over the course of the year anyway. The one thing I hope to see tomorrow is more of Phil Schiller who, in my mind at least, is their best presenter. At the last special event he was almost non existent and the quality of that event was not even close to the usual professional standards of Apple's presentations. It made me wonder if there was some fall out because of his off the cuff remark (can't innovate, my ass) which I thought was hilarious and brought some of the "human factor" to that event. I hope that wasn't the case.

It's just going to be two hours of Tim whispering intently while pacing back and forth on stage. That's it! Thanks for watching! /s
  • Reply 43 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I think there will be a "One More Thing" for the El Cap demo (Hair Force One will say "one more thing"), and it will be Siri. The whole event has a Siri theme, plus Windows 10 includes Cortana, and Apple cares about what Microsoft does more than we Apple fans think they do.

• Reply 44 of 52
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    New Macs with Intel Skylake and Alpine-Ridge Thunderbolt-3 controller .

Thus...

Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 type-C (reversible) ports on new Macs, Apple Thunderbolt Display and iOS devices.

Thus... The future is here, now.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    appex wrote: »
    Hopefully USB 3.1 type-C (reversible) on all iOS devices

USB type-C on iOS devices in replacement of lightning?

Accessories manufacturers (and some customers) will not be happy with another change after about 3 years.
    But I think it is likely to happen with next major version of iPhone.
  • Reply 46 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    bradipao wrote: »

Accessories manufacturers (and some customers) will not be happy with another change after about 3 years.
    But what does USB-C do for an iOS device, that Lightning can't do, besides provide a universal connector across all of Apple's products?

IOS devices are by and large wireless devices. They back-up wirelessly,share files via AirDrop, and A/V via AirPlay. I couldn't tell you the last time I plugged my iOS devices into anything. And for those who add external devices/attachments to iOS devices, like an SD card reader, how does USB-C improve the experience or make something possible that isn't presently with Lightning? And the fact is, USB-C isn't as thin an implementation as Lightning, for mobile devices that get seemingly thinner by just looking at them.

Unless there are some pretty compelling answers to replacing Lightning with USB-C I don't really see any need for Apple to switch. Getting a bulk discount for universal connectors for all of their products, isn't really enough if the device can't do anything more with it.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    gtbuzzgtbuzz Posts: 129member

17" MacBook Pro would solve my display problems with the stock market.  But it will probably never happen.

• Reply 48 of 52
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradipao View Post

But what does USB-C do for an iOS device, that Lightning can't do, besides provide a universal connector across all of Apple's products?

IOS devices are by and large wireless devices. They back-up wirelessly,share files via AirDrop, and A/V via AirPlay. I couldn't tell you the last time I plugged my iOS devices into anything. And for those who add external devices/attachments to iOS devices, like an SD card reader, how does USB-C improve the experience or make something possible that isn't presently with Lightning? And the fact is, USB-C isn't as thin an implementation as Lightning, for mobile devices that get seemingly thinner by just looking at them.

Unless there are some pretty compelling answers to replacing Lightning with USB-C I don't really see any need for Apple to switch. Getting a bulk discount for universal connectors for all of their products, isn't really enough if the device can't do anything more with it.

Also, the current USB-C connectors are much less user friendly than Lightning connectors - in particular the sharp edges makes insertion more fiddly and they feel less substantial, despite being the same size.

• Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by GTBuzz View Post

17" MacBook Pro would solve my display problems with the stock market.  

:???:

• Reply 50 of 52
    Can't wait to see everyone get up at 10:50 when their watches tell them to stand once an hour.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Also, the current USB-C connectors are much less user friendly than Lightning connectors - in particular the sharp edges makes insertion more fiddly and they feel less substantial, despite being the same size.

I'd say the inclusion of Lightning in the ?TV remote and ?Pencil confirm Lightning is here to stay for a while longer ...