On PlayStation's 20th anniversary, Sony says 'game on' to Apple in spoof of today's event

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 76
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    sog35 wrote: »
    The gaming pad will be cheaper than the PS controller.

To play a SINGLE playstation game I need to buy:

$400 PS4
    $60 additional controller
    $50 game

With tax that is $550 just for ONE GAME.

That you can't see how that is a turn off for many casual gamers is shocking

What rubbish, why do you need to purchase a second controller to play a single game? Why do you have to buy a $50 to play a single game? There are tonnes of ps4 games cheaper than $50, you could buy a years PSN Plus subscription for $50 and you would get 12 games in that year
  • Reply 62 of 76
    sog35 wrote: »
    Most casual gamers won't be hunting down deals.

And most casual gamers want to play MULTI player games, so an additional controller is a MUST.

So it still is about $500 just to start playing.  That is a MASSIVE investment for a casual gamer.

But the AppleTV is only $149.  And its very easy for a casual gamer to justify it cause it does a ton of other things like stream Netflix.

On line multiplayer is a big thing with PS4/XBone, so that person would the second controller. Plus then they would have the PS or MS membership to get free games.

Also, wouldn't you need two controllers for the Apple solution as well?

And you can use the PS4 to do other things like Netflix
  • Reply 63 of 76
    nasserae wrote: »

That would be great. I considered getting PS Vita TV for our second TV so my son can stream games from his PS4 when we are watching TV. But the price was high for just that use case.

It is called a PS TV, and it is under US$40, how is that high?
  • Reply 64 of 76
    I love Apple more than most... But serious gaming without a D-pad or analogue stick can only go so far. I'll take a PS4 every time over this.
  • Reply 65 of 76

With the Apple TV reveal, now it's clear that Apple still think gaming is just content like music and movies.  They don't understand that to many, gaming is a culture.  It's a huge growing industry that will rival athletic spectator sports.  Console boxes is the medium and Gaming PCs are the canvases.  Competitive gaming is largely a PC gaming industry.  There are some games that can do well on iOS like Heartstone which is better suited on a touchscreen.  But I can't imagine sitting in front of the TV to play a simple board game these days.  

Apple doesn't understand it or cares, they are a one product company afterall with 80% of the revenue all from derived from the iPhone.

• Reply 66 of 76
    I love Apple more than most... But serious gaming without a D-pad or analogue stick can only go so far. I'll take a PS4 every time over this.

It's stil not going to match a PS4 BUT the new Apple TV does have MFi controller support so that u can use a traditional console type controller with its games
  • Reply 67 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    vision33r wrote: »
    With the Apple TV reveal, now it's clear that Apple still think gaming is just content like music and movies.  They don't understand that to many, gaming is a culture.  It's a huge growing industry that will rival athletic spectator sports.  Console boxes is the medium and Gaming PCs are the canvases.  Competitive gaming is largely a PC gaming industry.  There are some games that can do well on iOS like Heartstone which is better suited on a touchscreen.  But I can't imagine sitting in front of the TV to play a simple board game these days.  

Apple doesn't understand it or cares, they are a one product company afterall with 80% of the revenue all from derived from the iPhone.

Apple understands casual gamers make up a bigger market than hard core gamers.
  • Reply 68 of 76
    koopkoop Posts: 337member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sony piggy backing on Apple's media coverage. Remember when Sony could command its own attention.

They command a tremendous amount of attention every year at E3. I keenly remember the E3 announcement of the PS4 back in 2013. The crowd and applause was off the charts. One of the more raucous events in E3 history.

• Reply 69 of 76
    retrogusto wrote: »
    I always had generally positive feelings about Sony, from my fifth birthday when my dad gave me a Sony clock/radio until several years ago I got a PS3. I was an early adopter of the PS3, so it cost $600, and at a certain point they started periodically forcing me to get software "updates." They block you from using the device until you've downloaded and installed the latest software, and one of the early updates permanently filled the home screen with advertising which I now have to see every time I boot the thing up--no way to disable. I come home from work tired and barely have enough time to stream a movie, then boot the thing up and find out that I would have to sit through another 15-20 minute update cycle before I would be allowed to watch anything. Really annoying. I also bought one for a friend before this all started happening, and she has been really frustrated by this too. It doesn't happen as often as it used to, maybe just because they're now focused on pissing off the PS4 users and they've forgotten about us.

Also, it died after less than two years, and cost about $160 to repair.

I have two PS3s (both phat), both are still running fine, never had an issue, mine don't take 15-20 minutes to update, I get mind to pre download the update, so it only has to install it.

But, there are better devices for streaming, I would use my Fire TV's over the PS3 for streaming.
  • Reply 70 of 76
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The current gen consoles are pretty underpowered aren't they? They don't have separate GPUs themselves. I think an Ax based machine could compete.

That said, I think PC gaming is going to take a big leap in 2016. There is the combination of GPUs finally moving off 28nm to 16 or 14nm, HBM, DirectX 12. And new engines like the Fox engine in MGS: V are just amazing. And the VR headsets are almost ready.

I don't believe the line that the majority of people just want casual gaming, and high end gaming is for the minority, it all depends on how compelling and differentiated the AAA titles are. At the moment there's not a huge difference between high and low end systems, just more fps and slightly better lighting effects, but if high end gaming suddenly became the most amazing futuristic thing ever, then you would see thousands of people buying PCs again and all these consoles (Apple's included) sitting there gathering dust.

The current gen consoles are relatively underpowered compared to the impact the previous gen had.  Oh.  An A8 Apple cpu/gpu will compete!

Casual gamers.  On a big hi-def TV.  Apple already own the casual gaming market.  People scoffed at the iPod's click wheel getting games.  Not scoffing now, eh?  I think the Apple TV 4th gen will catch up and outsell the PS4 and XBone1.  Think about how many units the 'unremarkable' ATV 'hobby' shifted.

Yes.  PCs are going to get a big GPU 'jolt' process wise in 2016.  A 'shift' we haven't seen in years.  (And as someone who wants to buy an iMac with a GPU that can really 'throw' around that 5k retina display the GPU process shrink in...2016 is very welcome!)  But so what?  Apple will sell more A8, A9 devices than PCs or consoles this year.  They own the casual gaming market.

The 'run down a corridor' with a gun genre is irrelevant to Apple.  They'll make more money than anybody else!  With iPhones, iPads and ATVs..?  They've got 'Macs' for the rest of us.

TV.  Games.  Apps.  The ATV4 is the 'smash volley' for the Apple Ecosystem.

Gamer 'over' as they say.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 71 of 76

The birth and death of Sony's dominance of gaming on the same day?  Fitting.

The console makers have become too greedy and arrogant. $50 games?  $400 systems?  $50 game controllers?  Give me a break.

What he said.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 72 of 76

The rate the A9X (a real monster of a chip...) and subsequent chips are improving...

...they're chasing down the PS4 already.

And yes.  I like the PS4 (that and a copy of Destiny...)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 73 of 76
    <div style="border-top-color:rgb(221,221,221);border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:1px;color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-bottom:16px;padding-top:12px;">

The console makers have become too greedy and arrogant. $50 games?  $400 systems?  $50 game controllers?  Give me a break.

</div>

<div style="border-top-color:rgb(221,221,221);border-top-style:solid;border-top-width:1px;color:rgb(0,0,0);margin-bottom:16px;padding-top:12px;">
    <div>What he said.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>Lemon Bon Bon.</div>
    </div>

God forbid any other company wanting to make money other than Apple.
  • Reply 74 of 76

</div>

<div>What he said.</div>
    <div> </div>
    <div>Lemon Bon Bon.</div>
    </div>

How much is an iPad, an iPhone, how much are these controllers?
  • Reply 75 of 76
    Is this "wavy" screen really identical to Siri on iPhone?

Because "waves" slowly moving across the screen were (and are) default home screen backgrounds for both PS3 and PS4. Not exactly the same, but close enough for me - as PS3 and PS4 owner - to see the connection.

Maybe they are also spoofing on Apple and Siri, but from gaming perspective, Windows 10, which also has "Hey, Cortana..." voice activated digital assistant, is already on PC and is coming soon to Xbox One and Win Phone, and MS is promising some interesting features for PC and XBO - cross-play, cross-purchase etc... and that feels like much more natural confrontation at the moment, than ATV potential gaming future. If any.

It is not that Apple cannot be strong player in gaming - maybe even dominant one; it can. But they will have to rethink their gaming plan, and multiply efforts tenfold. Having device that can be connected to TV and controller is barely scratching it, and system's performance is not alpha and omega of good gaming system. I'm pretty sure current Apple (and Android) mobile devices can better PS3 and X360 in terms of raw performance... but where are Uncharted, TLoU, Halo, Killzone, GT and Forzas of mobile world?

There is a reason why big games on consoles are $60. They take years to make, and big teams efforts. They are huge. Some of them have budget that Hollywood movie producers would not scoff at.

In order to become really big in gaming, Apple should start buying or investing into exclusive gaming studios. Multiplatforms would follow if Apple can make break-through with exclusives and build user base... but games required to achieve that would not cost any more $5 in AppStore. They would also need different distribution and storage methods... looking at games currently on my PS4 - ignoring Indies - they are all between 25GB and 45GB of installed size. My 500GB HDD is running low and I'm looking at replacing it soon.

Like I said - Apple has enough money to do it, but it would be long and uphill battle. Apple's brand doesn't mean much in gaming spheres - in fact, it means almost nothing as they don't have real gaming tradition. This is probably the only IT-related segment where Asus, MSI, Gigabyte, Nvidia, Amd have much more weight than Apple. Brand alone will not be magnet, nor will quality of hardware. It will need games, and bloody good games to pull people from MS and Sony, and allow their platform to start slowly spreading, people buying system that is already owned by their friends and relatives.