New Apple TV supports console-style MFi game controllers, Apple outs new SteelSeries Nimbus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nintendo has two multi-billion dollar franchises. They're not nervous at all. As a company that's been around since 1899, I think they can survivie.

No, just no.

I suppose you've never heard of low end disruption theory, eh?

• Reply 22 of 50
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    carthusia wrote: »

Nintendo has two multi-billion dollar franchises. They're not nervous at all. As a company that's been around since 1899, I think they can survivie.
    No, just no.

I suppose you've never heard of low end disruption theory, eh?

An album by A Tribe Called Quest?
  • Reply 23 of 50

I'd already had my sights set on the SteelSeries XL controller but hadn't yet pulled the trigger, and I'm now very glad. Doesn't look much different at all from the XL, and the lower price is a big bonus - wonder if that's thanks to some funding from Apple?? No matter, the reviews of the XL have been good and I'll bet this receives similar ones, can't wait till it becomes available. How fun!

• Reply 24 of 50
    Yes, with games like Crossy Road 2, Microsoft and Sony are shaking in their boots.

get it thru your head: casual gaming. hardcore gaming is the same sort of niche use case that SLR shooting is. and Apple sells more casual cameras than the SLR makers do.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    People always say that the white middle aged men managing Apple are out of touch. People saying dissing the Apple TV for not being the next generation of console gaming are even more out of touch.

which are also white middle aged men. experts in everything.
  • Reply 26 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    That's what Nokia said.... (nee 1865).

And Nokia is still around, what is your point?
  • Reply 27 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    People always say that the white middle aged men managing Apple are out of touch. People saying dissing the Apple TV for not being the next generation of console gaming are even more out of touch.

What do you call the people on this site that were stating that the next AppleTV would be the second coming?
  • Reply 28 of 50
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    mubaili wrote: »
    Can it support more than one controller? Apple needs to create some killer games itself too.
    Apple should buy Nintendo now, it would be a boost for ATV4 gaming cred.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NolaMacGuy View Post

get it thru your head: casual gaming. hardcore gaming is the same sort of niche use case that SLR shooting is. and Apple sells more casual cameras than the SLR makers do.

The audience in these forums is of course skewed towards the "aficionados", who will never understand your point. You are absolutely right, of course ... I have a PS4, but rarely have the time or energy to settle in for a few hours of gaming, so typically play something for 10-20mins on my iPad instead. Being able to do something similar on the AppleTV will be a big draw, given how *most* people *actually* want to play games. And yes, Nintendo now has an even bigger problem .. not saying they'll disappear, but this will cut into their console business.

"The future of TV is Apps" is perhaps an obvious (in hindsight ;-), but brilliant and very pragmatic strategy. While Apple may be playing catch up in this area, to some extent, it's App community permits it to frog leap the competition. Everyone who owns an iPhone or iPad will immediately see the relevance and appeal of the Apple TV. It also allows Apple to potentially succeed even in the face of fragmentation on the part of content providers, by providing a unified interface to them. Curious to see how all that plays out.

The only thing missing yesterday, was some mention of HomeKit via AppleTV ... it would have been nice to see a little more push from Apple in this area, since it feels like progress is coming quite slowly.

Overall, Apple hit it out of the park yesterday. Every announcement was innovative, well-conceived, and looks well-executed. With the media scrutiny Apple is under, there will never be major surprises at these events now. But Apple looks very strong in every one of its product categories now, and the ecosystem makes it all the more compelling. 

• Reply 30 of 50
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    drewys808 wrote: »
    Yes...APPS!

And I'm surprised Android hardware makers didn't catch onto this earlier.

Obviously, iOS-compatibility and the Apple ecosystem is one HUGE advantage that Apple has...this is history in the making.

This new ATV will drive millions more to purchase. TV/Cable content providers will have no choice but to offer/negotiate onto this ecosystem.

Sure we all wanted more from this ATV, but it's a good balance of price, features and appeal.

Almost every Android based TV Set-Box has had the ability to install apps since their incarnation. This new Apple TV is definitely an improvement over the previous generation but I personally don't see anything that will benefit our my family over our current TV Set-Box's. A Minix Z64 which is in my bedroom and a Nvidia Shield TV which is in the living room. My daughter will most likely want one for her bedroom though as she like the I Apple TV so I will probably grab her one for Christmas.
    I just couldn't live without Kodi (XBMC) as it gives me access to not only my local TV stations, with recording abilities but any TV station from around the world that I'm interested in. Which right now is all about Australian TV, which has some real quality shows. I also really need support for a remote keyboard with a built in touchpad for when I'm surfing and replying in forums. I'm currently using a Logitech Mini PC Entertainment Dinovo Keyboard http://cdn.appletvhacks.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/logitech-keyboard-2.jpg the downstairs TV Set-Box also needs support for a webcam and USB. As we use our TV to communicate with the family and the USB for inserting a external hard-drive and USB stick and of course the webcam. It's unfortunate that the USB-C port in the Apple TV can't be used for peripherals. I also really need a file-manager in which I can easily mount my cloud storage and NAS server as local assets that can be used by any app installed.

Lastly, streaming games from a PC is something that we've all come to really love using. It elevates the TV Set-Box to a true gaming platform, though the Shield TV also has some pretty fantastic games, I still really like playing Doom 3 with all of the lights turned off and can't wait for Crysis 3 which will be release any day now.

I'm sure the Apple TV will make lots of people happy but I still think it's just a tad bit on the limited side. Also since I live in Switzerland I won't be able to enjoy any of the new content that is US specific.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    There are a lot of possibilities going forward with this line up. Sure MS and Sony have more powerful games. However, How much power do you need to run a successful game like Minecraft.

The key will hook will be software. What are the developers going to come up with that make the AppleTV unique.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    [quote name="jfanning" url="/t/188123/new-apple-tv-supports-console-style-mfi-game-controllers-apple-outs-new-steelseries-nimbus#post_2773702"]

Ah, that kind of 'still around' -- walking dead. Got your point.

Knock yourself out.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

The controller will be $49.95 although the $69.99 Stratus XL looks better:

I've been paying attention to all the controllers, and previously the XL had caught my attention and that's the one I had planned to buy. The Nimbus looks the same, except it's now $20 cheaper than the XL. One thing I wonder is if Apple co-funded this, or guaranteed a number of sales or something to deliver a cheaper price (which obviously would then appeal to a larger audience as well as set the price for all other controllers going forward), but you think the XL looks better, was curious to know what you like about it better than the Nimbus. I hadn't determined their differences, is just styling more something more? I'm just curious, I'm also thrilled this is the controller they put forth for the standard, I like it a lot. It uses the PlayStation layout of analog joysticks, which I didn't like about the XBox style controllers (though if that's your thing there are others that do provide this layout, and I'm sure they'll work a treat if that's your preference). I like the size of this controller too, it seems just perfect, I'm well pleased, I can't wait till it's available to buy!

• Reply 34 of 50
    jfanning wrote: »

Ah, that kind of 'still around' -- walking dead. Got your point.

Knock yourself out.

They are one of the largest networking companies in the world. Again, what is your point?
  • Reply 35 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

They are one of the largest networking companies in the world. Again, what is your point?

Yes, you mean, "one of the largest networking companies in the world" who had to exit the most valuable business they were in because of Apple, whose market cap fell from $150B to $25B in the process, and had to dismiss thousands upon thousands of their Finnish workers, sending the Finnish economy into a tailspin

And you want to know what the point is? Are you even following this thread?

• Reply 36 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

I did some research and the A8 in the new Apple TV can playback 4k video.  So, the hardware could support 4k.  It could still allow 4k in future software updates...

• Reply 37 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

I did some research and the A8 in the new Apple TV can playback 4k video.  So, the hardware could support 4k.  It could still allow 4k in future software updates...

Pardon my ignorance, but is that the same type of support that my ATV2 provides for 1080p, where it'll open and read a 1080p file, but the output to the television will only be 720p. Or can this truly output 4K with nothing other than a software/firmware update? Thanks for clarifying.

• Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

I think your case is very different from the mainstream user.  Just reading your setup (which I'm sure is awesome) gave me a headache.

The mainstream user just wants to plug something into the TV and be done with it.

Yep.  And that is who the Apple TV and Apple Kit is aimed at.  Not 'edge' cases.  

Casual gaming apps.  TV apps.  App store.  iTunes.  Ecosystem.  Swish GUI.  Powerful hardware.

Access to thousands and thousands of A7-A8 apps/games etc.  Simple ports across to TVOS I should imagine.

It's going to be an ecosystem goldmine for Apple.  This is just the beginning.  By 2017...the ATV could be an order of magnitude better with 4k and a huge ecosystem.  It's pretty impressive as is...casting off its 'hobby' status with some style.

A great start.  Tempted to get one.  Casual gamer and TV/Cord cutter heaven.

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 39 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Aye.  That's the ace up the sleeve... ;)

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 40 of 50
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

Pardon my ignorance, but is that the same type of support that my ATV2 provides for 1080p, where it'll open and read a 1080p file, but the output to the television will only be 720p. Or can this truly output 4K with nothing other than a software/firmware update? Thanks for clarifying.

from what I can find, the A8 can play 4k video at 4k resolution.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/11/21/apples-a8-soc-reportedly-capable-of-4k-video-output-may-pave-way-for-ultra-high-resolution-apple-tv

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/11/21/a8-chip-4k-video/

There is even an app for the iPhone 6 to let you shot and play 4k video. Its called ProCam.