New Apple TV supports console-style MFi game controllers, Apple outs new SteelSeries Nimbus

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 50
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,439moderator
    I've been paying attention to all the controllers, and previously the XL had caught my attention and that's the one I had planned to buy. The Nimbus looks the same, except it's now $20 cheaper than the XL. One thing I wonder is if Apple co-funded this, or guaranteed a number of sales or something to deliver a cheaper price (which obviously would then appeal to a larger audience as well as set the price for all other controllers going forward), but you think the XL looks better, was curious to know what you like about it better than the Nimbus. I hadn't determined their differences, is just styling more something more? I'm just curious, I'm also thrilled this is the controller they put forth for the standard, I like it a lot. It uses the PlayStation layout of analog joysticks, which I didn't like about the XBox style controllers (though if that's your thing there are others that do provide this layout, and I'm sure they'll work a treat if that's your preference). I like the size of this controller too, it seems just perfect, I'm well pleased, I can't wait till it's available to buy!

That's odd, the XL one is $49.99 now:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers/stratus-xl-for-ios

There's a video here from 2014 that says it's the XL, which looks like the Nimbus:

[VIDEO]

but there's a newer video with the XL that looks different, maybe the Nimbus is just XL version 1 - this video shows some gaming examples:

[VIDEO]

The newer XL model makes it easier to hit diagonal on the d-pad and the thumb stick grips look better.
  • Reply 42 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's odd, the XL one is $49.99 now:

https://steelseries.com/gaming-controllers/stratus-xl-for-ios

There's a video here from 2014 that says it's the XL, which looks like the Nimbus:

but there's a newer video with the XL that looks different, maybe the Nimbus is just XL version 1 - this video shows some gaming examples:

The newer XL model makes it easier to hit diagonal on the d-pad and the thumb stick grips look better.

Well, the price drop on the XL is indeed quite interesting, I think this is a very good sign. One problem with the early controllers was the exorbitant prices they were charging. This will cement the controller price -> $50, I would imagine, a very good thing. The cheaper the price, the more people willing to pay, the more people who possess, the more games developers will develop for the MFi standard and we'll have more games offering MFi controller support. A very good thing all around.

Good catch on the d-pad, you're right, the XL does look better for diagonal hits.

I suppose the lightening connector on the Nimbus makes it more iOS compatible, but it also means no batteries to worry about, though with the XL I think I remember AA batteries? The shoulder buttons also look mildly different between the two.

I'd love to hold one of each and play with them, I'm sure they'll both work the same, so it'll come down to whether the d-pad and shoulder buttons (plus you mentioned the joysticks being a bit different) hold any preference for you, but also the Nimbus having rechargeable batteries instead of AA ones you have to replace in the XL. So many choices!

• Reply 43 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Yes, you mean, "one of the largest networking companies in the world" who had to exit the most valuable business they were in because of Apple, whose market cap fell from $150B to $25B in the process, and had to dismiss thousands upon thousands of their Finnish workers, sending the Finnish economy into a tailspin

And you want to know what the point is? Are you even following this thread?

Nokia was losing money on their phone business, their network business is profitable. Yes, I am following the thread, hence when I am trying to correct you
  • Reply 44 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Yes, you mean, "one of the largest networking companies in the world" who had to exit the most valuable business they were in because of Apple, whose market cap fell from $150B to $25B in the process, and had to dismiss thousands upon thousands of their Finnish workers, sending the Finnish economy into a tailspin

And you want to know what the point is? Are you even following this thread?

Nokia was losing money on their phone business, their network business is profitable. Yes, I am following the thread, hence when I am trying to correct you

Oh, give up.

Any idea why they were losing money on their phone business? And when/how that started, considering they were the LARGEST handset maker in the world through 2007?

Their network business is "profitable"? Does it cover its cost of capital? Btw, do you realize that they're getting completely Xiaomi-fied by Huawei?

The blatantly obvious point you don't seem to get is, Apple messed up Nokia. Just as Apple might Nintendo. Regardless of how ancient each of them might be.

• Reply 45 of 50
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Oh, give up.

Any idea why they were losing money on their phone business? And when/how that started, considering they were the LARGEST handset maker in the world through 2007?

Their network business is "profitable"? Does it cover its cost of capital? Btw, do you realize that they're getting completely Xiaomi-fied by Huawei?

The blatantly obvious point you don't seem to get is, Apple messed up Nokia. Just as Apple might Nintendo. Regardless of how ancient each of them might be.

You implied Nokia was dead, they aren't, they are still operating, and operating quite successfully, and profitable. I haven't missed anything, you were trying to be funny and failed. No, I will no give up, stop constantly lieing about every company that isn't Apple.

Remember, every time you purchase your iPhone, you are giving money to Nokia
  • Reply 46 of 50
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfanning View Post

You implied Nokia was dead, they aren't, they are still operating, and operating quite successfully, and profitable. I haven't missed anything, you were trying to be funny and failed. No, I will no give up, stop constantly lieing about every company that isn't Apple.

Remember, every time you purchase your iPhone, you are giving money to Nokia

Well, English is not my first language, I try hard to be precise, and yet don't always succeed, so I am normally quite charitable to those who may have trouble interpreting the language.

But your post is really quite dense, and suggests an inability to understand basic English. Here's my original post (see below): where did I remotely say or imply Nokia was dead?!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

Nintendo has two multi-billion dollar franchises. They're not nervous at all. As a company that's been around since 1899, I think they can survivie.

That's what Nokia said.... (nee 1865).

One more thing: name ONE post where I was "lieing" about "every company that isn't Apple." ONE. 

You should apologize for your nonsense. OTOH, you may be Finnish or work for Nokia, so you might be taking all this quite personally. If so, my sympathies. 

• Reply 47 of 50
    Well, English is not my first language, I try hard to be precise, and yet don't always succeed,

You could've fooled me. You succeed more than some whose first language is English. You definitely don't have a problem with insults. :lol:
  • Reply 48 of 50
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

"The future of TV is Apps" is perhaps an obvious (in hindsight ;-), but brilliant and very pragmatic strategy. While Apple may be playing catch up in this area, to some extent, it's App community permits it to frog leap the competition. Everyone who owns an iPhone or iPad will immediately see the relevance and appeal of the Apple TV. It also allows Apple to potentially succeed even in the face of fragmentation on the part of content providers, by providing a unified interface to them. Curious to see how all that plays out.

The only thing missing yesterday, was some mention of HomeKit via AppleTV ... it would have been nice to see a little more push from Apple in this area, since it feels like progress is coming quite slowly.

Overall, Apple hit it out of the park yesterday. Every announcement was innovative, well-conceived, and looks well-executed. With the media scrutiny Apple is under, there will never be major surprises at these events now. But Apple looks very strong in every one of its product categories now, and the ecosystem makes it all the more compelling. 

I am amused at the very negative reaction on the boards by many to the new AppleTV.  Other than the removal of the optical port, the criticisms were basically that Apple didn't future proof the box for 3-4 years from now when 4K streaming might matter to more than a niche, or that they didn't build something better than the PS4.  Anybody who knows anything about Apple would never expected those two things.

And the commentary about what was provided was basically like - oh, they added Siri.  Maybe because I have been in the IPTV business for many years, but what Apple has accomplished with the Siri interaction & cross-platform "contextual" search is simply brilliant!  They are the first with contextual search, and while I don't have a Roku, I have read that its voice search was gimmicky (though good cross-platform).  Think about how that contextual search might be when Apple has its rumoured streaming service - "that show is on tonight at 11 on Fox - did you want me to record that for you Dave?"

Lots of criticism of the "games" shown (limited yes, but devs likely only had a few weeks to pull something together from their iOS offerings), but missing the broader picture.  Look at what MLB showed!  That is the future of sports right there...you will never get that from your cable provider.  My wife thought the AirBnB app would be great for planning vacations - expect more apps in all of those areas.  Maybe home shopping, where you can see much more on the big TV will also grow from this.

As has been written before the keynote by some in the industry, is that Apple is trying to gain some leverage with the content providers to pull together its subscription service.  Leverage can be gained by:

- increasing the installed base of AppleTV - so keeps its price reasonable & hit the sweet spot of functionality & price

- let channels/sports/content services put their own apps on it, so that the big guys can see that if they don't join in, they might be losing out (reference MLB again)

My only complaint about the ?TV was regarding a dedicated gaming controller.  I really think Apple should take the bull by the horns and drive this one.  Re-imagine the controller for iOS and tvOS - using physical buttons + touch (Marvin has had great ideas here) - and the app makers will follow.

And I completely agree - Apple overall hit it out of the park with their product introductions yesterday.  With some expected Mac updates coming, this is going to be an absolute monster holiday quarter for Apple (iPhone 6s so good it will get upgrades from the 6 & having the 6/6+ around will get more total sales; iPad revenue likely to grow for first time QonQ, AppleWatch updates, good growth from services, new iPods and little things like ?TV contributing).

• Reply 49 of 50
    But your post is really quite dense, and suggests an inability to understand basic English. Here's my original post (see below): where did I remotely say or imply Nokia was dead?!

English as a second language, so by dense, you are saying my post is stupid. Thanks for getting straight to the point.

TheWhiteFalcon said
    Nintendo has two multi-billion dollar franchises. They're not nervous at all. As a company that's been around since 1899, I think they can survivie.

You said
    That's what Nokia said.... (nee 1865).

You till notice that "TheWhiteFalcon" finished their posting with "I think they can survive", to which you replied "that is what Nokia said"

Implying Nokia didn't survive. If that is not what you are meaning, then can you please state what you meant.

You should apologize for your nonsense. OTOH, you may be Finnish or work for Nokia, so you might be taking all this quite personally. If so, my sympathies. 

I will not be apologising, as I have done nothing to apologise for, also I am neither Finnish or nor do I (or have I ever) work for Nokia