New Apple TV uses USB-C for service, ditches optical audio out port

14567810»

Comments

  • Reply 181 of 189
    mike1mike1 Posts: 1,923member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by rkehlor View Post



    anantksundaram - I agree with the others who've said it totally blows to not have the audio out... for the main reason of streaming audio via AirTunes WITHOUT having to have the tv on. This is a deal killer for me -- I don't want an ugly HDMI audio converter extra box to plug in, and i don't want to have to turn on the TV to play music.



    I also don't want to always have to turn on the stereo to watch TV on the apple TV, or other sources for that matter (since I'd have to rewire everything through my stereo's HDMI switcher, which is pain). Don't most people use the multiple inputs on the back of the TV, anyway? otherwise, you have to always change remotes/inputs, switch the stereo source, flip back to the cable mode, etc. I hate having to switch sources or remotes all the time. I have one audio return from the TV to the stereo, so that whatever video source the TV is showing, the stereo input is "TV". When I listen to music, the stereo input is AUX (apple tv audio).



    Am I the only one with this setup?

    Nope. I have something similar. I don't always want to turn on the sound system to watch TV. Therefore, I don't use the receiver for video switching. All my sources (DVR, ATV, Blu Ray player, Xbox run video to the TV via HDMI and separate digital audio to the A/V receiver. When I want the full experience I turn on the receiver, when I don't the sound comes theough the TV only. Works for me and my family.

  • Reply 182 of 189
    The new AppleTV supports Bluetooth headphones, unlike the earlier models.

    http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205302
  • Reply 183 of 189
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post





    And yet Apple has chosen to support 4K on the iPhone 6S, the iPadPro, new Macs, and video editing software.



    And while they're not supporting even limited 4K on the ?TV, they are supporting 3D which was a dismal commercial failure.



    Kind of a mixed message for the Apple apologists isn't it?



    3D, which i hate, seems to have more potential for games than movies (since if you are playing a single-player game you sit in one spot, vs. having 6 people over watching a movie at different angles).  That might play into it.

  • Reply 184 of 189
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,449member
    joelsalt wrote: »

    3D, which i hate, seems to have more potential for games than movies (since if you are playing a single-player game you sit in one spot, vs. having 6 people over watching a movie at different angles).  That might play into it.

    No pun intended? ;-)

    I don't disagree, but the chief argument in defense of Apples decision not to include 4K, is that there's no content, and nothing in place to deliver it. What you're suggesting is that Apple is supporting a technology that has no significant installed base, not much content, nor delivery systems, either. If they're going to support one, why not the other?
  • Reply 185 of 189
    dougask wrote: »
    The new AppleTV supports Bluetooth headphones, unlike the earlier models.

    http://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT205302

    And it should be noted that if you pair Bluetooth headphones you'll only be able to use one remote for games. The AppleTV only connects to 2 Bluetooth devices.

    This bit of detail was unearthed by Serenity Caldwell at iMore.
  • Reply 186 of 189
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post





    No pun intended? ;-)



    I don't disagree, but the chief argument in defense of Apples decision not to include 4K, is that there's no content, and nothing in place to deliver it. What you're suggesting is that Apple is supporting a technology that has no significant installed base, not much content, nor delivery systems, either. If they're going to support one, why not the other?



    Maybe supporting 3d is easier?  I mean, that doesn't make much sense.  I think you're argument of no content is probably why.  They want people to buy 4K movies from iTunes to watch on Apple TV, and so they'll wait for that.  That's my guess (all the "4K is useless unless you sit 2" away from screen!" arguments aside)

  • Reply 187 of 189
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member

    Apple TV in 2015, still stupid. How about regular analog audio. 

     

    Apple stuff gets dumber every year I swear. Well, it could be even dumber. It could be a chromecast.

     

    Why does this stuff have to be complicated. I want analog out, HDMI video to TV, wireless video from my MBP 2010 to whatever. This should be available, should be cheap. Should not make my computer have to sweat, either. With SSD, 8gb, and 10.11.  Arg.

  • Reply 188 of 189
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

     

    Apple TV in 2015, still stupid. How about regular analog audio. 

     

    Apple stuff gets dumber every year I swear. Well, it could be even dumber. It could be a chromecast.

     

    Why does this stuff have to be complicated. I want analog out, HDMI video to TV, wireless video from my MBP 2010 to whatever. This should be available, should be cheap. Should not make my computer have to sweat, either. With SSD, 8gb, and 10.11.  Arg.




    Regular analogue audio doesn't have DRM.  This is to placate the content providers.  The airport express has analogue audio out.

  • Reply 189 of 189
    No optical audio out....I won't purchase the NEW Apple TV.

    STINKS!!!
Sign In or Register to comment.