Consumers favor Apple's rose gold iPhone 6s Plus with early preorders, Hong Kong sells out

Comments

• Reply 61 of 115

It depends on the country 

I had problems to ordered mine, yesterday morning : the store was closed for me. At the same time, other people ordered it without any problems. 

It's not very important indeed, because I pre ordered what I wanted. 

For the stock, it depends on the number of  Iphone already produced. 

• Reply 62 of 115
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,328member
    No pink iPhone for me, but I'd love to have a (Product) Red iPhone. The (Product) Red iPod Touch is very striking with the contrasting white front. The blue is almost as nice. Apple needs to loosen up a little on the color options and perhaps do one "version exclusive" color per launch. That would drive some people insane. But the fact that most people hide their iPhones in ugly cases means the back color is known only to the owner, viewed in the privacy of their own home, lights gently dimmed, soft background music playing.... It's sad that most rose gold / pink phones are destined to living the life of a medium cooked steak, cooked with a case on the outside and pink in the middle - which is over cooked in my book.
  • Reply 63 of 115
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

No pink iPhone for me, but I'd love to have a (Product) Red iPhone. The (Product) Red iPod Touch is very striking with the contrasting white front. The blue is almost as nice. Apple needs to loosen up a little on the color options and perhaps do one "version exclusive" color per launch. That would drive some people insane. But the fact that most people hide their iPhones in ugly cases means the back color is known only to the owner, viewed in the privacy of their own home, lights gently dimmed, soft background music playing.... It's sad that most rose gold / pink phones are destined to living the life of a medium cooked steak, cooked with a case on the outside and pink in the middle - which is over cooked in my book.

They probably could offer a range of colors and allow custom ordered phones, with a variety of colors for face (black, white, red, blue) and anodization (gold, rose gold, blue gold, copper, etc.)     Maybe it takes a few extra weeks to get you choice shipped to you.

I'd like a gold with red or blue face or maybe copper with red or blue face...    I think I would at least.  Without seeing one...

• Reply 64 of 115

Rose Gold is  NOT "Pink"

It is more a metallic gold "Pink" and therefore looks much different.

Pink (non metallic) looks much different than a metalicized pink type color.

My "manliness" can stand a Rose Gold phone, but would not consider a "pink" (non metalicized) phone.

:)

• Reply 65 of 115
    Back on topic ... To me it's pink :) No way would I be seen or caught dead with a pink phone ... just saying ... :D
    Think again!
  • Reply 66 of 115
    maccentric wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to do and it makes a lot of sense. This is just the inverse of what they did for the 5s cycle when they dropped the 5 and created the 5c at the lower price and offered that in 5 colors. Also note, that from Apple, Gold and Rose Gold are now only available on the 6s. The 6 and 5s are only available in Silver and Space Grey.
    I would prefer if Apple even went further with Gold-Black combo. It's great.1000
  • Reply 67 of 115
    mac_128 wrote: »
    So every other year Apple is going to add a new color to the S lineup to distinguish it from the previous offering for fear they will lose sales to status seekers?
    kind of for Asia and women.
  • Reply 68 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

I would prefer if Apple even went further with Gold-Black combo. It's great.

I'd like red/gold or dark blue/gold.   Or even red/copper or dark blue/copper...

As an aside, the local "Mall" Apple Store  (not the downtown SLC one but in the burbs) had 4 Edition Apple Watches in the display case.  I wonder if they were real gold edition or ones made to look like it that are not for sale, and not 10K+ retail priced ones...

• Reply 69 of 115
    99% of the phones will be in a case.
  • Reply 70 of 115
    fallenjt wrote: »
    Think again!
    [image]

That doesn't change anything he said. To me, that's a rose gold watch. Not that there's anything wrong it, I just don't care for either pink or gold, or bulky and heavy watches that do little more than tell time which makes that even less appealing than the rose gold iPhone 6S.

Source? I certainly know a lot of people that use cases, but the number is far from 99%, and I also see a great many number of devices without cases. I certainly don't use one.
  • Reply 71 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

no, not that many.  I don't typically use a case and neither does my boss.   And I know of others who don't.   Many, and I would not bet against a large majority being in cases, but no where 99%

• Reply 72 of 115
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    maccentric wrote: »
    It wouldn't be hard to do and it makes a lot of sense. This is just the inverse of what they did for the 5s cycle when they dropped the 5 and created the 5c at the lower price and offered that in 5 colors. Also note, that from Apple, Gold and Rose Gold are now only available on the 6s. The 6 and 5s are only available in Silver and Space Grey.
    Well I'm not suggesting it wouldn't be easy to do. It's just the implication is that Apple would lose sales because status seekers wouldn't upgrade, or buy an S, if other people couldn't tell. And while I'm sure there's an element of that, I think there's still status in being able to say it's an "S". So I don't see Apple needing to do this.

As for the missing gold option on the 6, well that's likely to prevent cannibalization of the 6s with a "gold" premium. It also offers an explaination as to why the 6S is offered in a 16GB base model, to accommodate those who must have a gold phone.
  • Reply 73 of 115
    Just putting this out there. The subjective taste of these colors are greatly impacted by the failed/limited ability of your eyes to read colors correctly. The more color blind you are the less likely you'll appreciate these tints.
  • Reply 74 of 115
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

As for the missing gold option on the 6, well that's likely to prevent cannibalization of the 6s with a "gold" premium. It also offers an explaination as to why the 6S is offered in a 16GB base model, to accommodate those who must have a gold phone.

More likely to limit costs is why the S now only has silver and space gray.  Majority of production will be 6S so you limit your costs in order to make as much as you can from the cheaper option.

• Reply 75 of 115
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why is it called Rose Gold? I can see why it would be called rose coloured, or even "light pink," but where is the gold?

In Apple's accounts in banks around the world...

• Reply 76 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Why is it called Rose Gold? I can see why it would be called rose coloured, or even "light pink," but where is the gold?

To my eyes, there is no gold color to the rose gold iPhone and Apple Watch Sport cases. It's pink anodized aluminum... along with sophisticated marketing. Most guys who buy it will be severely disappointed. To my eyes, under the Apple store lights, the anodized color is a light PINK.

Go to any Apple store where the rose gold Watch Sport and rose gold Watch Edition are on display. They look very different in color. Only the latter contains real gold and any appearance of gold color.

• Reply 77 of 115
    cpsro wrote: »
    Most guys who buy it will be severely disappointed. The anodized color is PINK.

1) :???: No one is going to think that an aluminum device is literally made of a gold and copper alloy.

2) This is what pink anodizing looks like.
  • Reply 78 of 115
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

I know these are aluminum alloys, but considering the price of copper nowadays, does anyone know if that metal is in fact being mixed-in with the aluminum to produce the rose-gold model?  Just curious.  To me, it is a very nice color... I would consider it when it's time to upgrade my iP6+ in another year.

Until then, bring on the new iMacs... in maybe a rose-gold option?  :)

• Reply 79 of 115
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) image No one is going to think that an aluminum device is literally made of a gold and copper alloy.

2) This is what pink anodizing looks like.

Because of all the smart@sses in the Apple Kingdom, I've re-worded my post to make it clear I'm talking about the color of the device and that it's light pink.

• Reply 80 of 115
    sflocal wrote: »
    I know these are aluminum alloys, but considering the price of copper nowadays, does anyone know if that metal is in fact being mixed-in with the aluminum to produce the rose-gold model?  Just curious.  To me, it is a very nice color... I would consider it when it's time to upgrade my iP6+ in another year.

Until then, bring on the new iMacs... in maybe a rose-gold option?  :)

I'm guessing it's just an anodizing. I'm not sure if cooper would be used in that process, but [@]melgross[/@] might know as he's stated he'd done anodizing in the past. Even if it is, I'd think the amount is negligible which is why they can offer it without a price increase.

cpsro wrote: »
    Because of all the smart@sses in the Apple Kingdom, I've re-worded my post to make it clear I'm talking about the color of the device and that it's light pink.

It's not being a smart ass when you make a very specific comment about a "most guys will be disappointed." Are you saying that in-person, under the Apple Store lights it looks that much different to you that you feel people are buying what they think looks like a rose gold color online just to find out it's actually pink in color in person? I've seen rose gold in person, and in no way does it look like pink (which I've shown an example of), light or otherwise, to me. I would doubt that those two colors look the same to you but there is no way to be certain, but I'd wager that "most guys" can see variances in colors much better than you if you think the rose gold color looks pink.