Apple launches Move to iOS content migration tool for Android

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
In conjunction with iOS 9, Apple on Wednesday released Move to iOS, a tool for switching away from Android that is also its first-ever app custom-developed for Google's rival operating system.

As its name implies, Move to iOS is designed simply to migrate data from an Android device to a new iPhone or iPad. Users can transfer their contacts, calendars, photos, videos, browser bookmarks, email accounts, and even their SMS history.

During the transfer process, iOS establishes a private Wi-Fi network and connects with the Android device. Entering a security code authorizes copying data and configuring apps like Mail.

The app also tries to identify which Android apps have counterparts on the App Store, and can download free ones automatically and place any paid apps on an iTunes Wish List.

Move to iOS is a free download, and runs on any device with Android 4.0 or later.

Although Google has a number of apps on iOS, Apple has largely avoided anything to do with Android as a way of keeping people in its hardware ecosystem. Until now its only Android presence has been Beats Music, which Apple acquired in 2014 and will soon be shut down after the company finishes migrating people over to Apple Music.

To do that, though, Apple will release an Apple Music app for Android sometime in the near future. The service has so far been restricted to iOS and iTunes, and in fact won't show up on the Apple TV until October.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39

Predictably, the Google touts are upset and giving it one star reviews - I weighed in with a perfect 5; way to troll 'em Apple.

• Reply 2 of 39
    Why can't this be done for transfer between existing iPhones also? Imagine how easy configuring a new iPhone would be. Doesn't this make sense to anyone else :\ ?
  • Reply 3 of 39
    markbyrn wrote: »
    Predictably, the Google touts are upset and giving it one star reviews - I weighed in with a perfect 5; way to troll 'em Apple.

Predictably, the Apple touts are giving Google Apps one star reviews.

It goes both ways. It really doesn't matter in the end. Apple is mostly winning. Not that there needs to be a winner nor should there be only one winner.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    jakebjakeb Posts: 562member
    iCloud already does this for existing iPhones, right?
  • Reply 5 of 39

The iPhone to iPhone is automatic from your back-up Super easy never had a problem and the same for a new mac as well. 

• Reply 6 of 39
    Why can't this be done for transfer between existing iPhones also? Imagine how easy configuring a new iPhone would be. Doesn't this make sense to anyone else :\ ?

I already use iTunes for backup and restore. You can also now use iCloud. It is preferable because that way, you have a way to restore your data and settings in cases where you old iPhone is:
    1. Stolen or lost or destroyed
    2. Suffers catastrophic failure (as my old 3GS near the end of its warranty period)
    3. You need to do a factory refresh, or suffer from accidental bricking.
    4. You need to clone your iPhone into or out of a temporary loaner under Apple Care.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Uhm... Am I missing something? When you unbox a new phone you can "restore from backup" to transfer everything onto the new phone (or a factory default reset used or old or previous phone).
  • Reply 8 of 39
    sirlance99 wrote: »

It goes both ways. It really doesn't matter in the end. Apple is mostly winning. Not that there needs to be a winner nor should there be only one winner.

Winner at what? Trolling app ratings?
  • Reply 9 of 39

Some of the reviews on the Play store are hilarious.

• Reply 10 of 39
    uxqatom wrote: »
    Uhm... Am I missing something? When you unbox a new phone you can "restore from backup" to transfer everything onto the new phone (or a factory default reset used or old or previous phone).

Doesn't this require a wired or cabled connection, and iTunes? Can a 'restore from backup' be done wirelessly, between only two iPhones :\ ?
  • Reply 11 of 39
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,102member

I love the disclaimer at the bottom "Bring your Android phone to an Apple Store and we'll recycle it for you" which is basically code for "toss that pice of sh!t in the trash where it belongs!"

• Reply 12 of 39
    Hey all
    Messeges broke when I upgrades to 9. In the text entry area there is an audio bubble, buuble is not responsive to touches, that completely covers the text area. One can still see the text area to enter text if you hit return a number of times, but the bubble never disappers. While typing you can continue to type even when the the text is obscured by the bubble.
    I have a iPhone 5.
    Any one else experiencing this?
  • Reply 13 of 39
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member

Already exists. Back your existing device up to iTunes or iCloud, then restore to your new device. Easy-peasy....

Edit: and if done via iCloud its wireless. I would highly recommend wifi but it's your choice :)
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Already exists. Back your existing device up to iTunes or iCloud, then restore to your new device. Easy-peasy....

well not so easy - once restored you have to re-enter quite a bit of stuff, including entering your passwords multiple times, re-entering your credit cards for apply pay, fingerprints etc....  then some apps require re-entering of some data

• Reply 15 of 39
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

It goes both ways.

Many Google apps have pretty good ratings on the App Store, and most criticism I see (failure to comply with interface guidelines, and the need to log in to an account for almost everything) is a) valid and b) at least partially shared by reviews on Android sites. But I bet you that not a single reviewer of the "move to ios" app has actually used it to move content from an Android to an iOS device. I see a difference here.

• Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

well not so easy - once restored you have to re-enter quite a bit of stuff, including entering your passwords multiple times, re-entering your credit cards for apply pay, fingerprints etc....  then some apps require re-entering of some data

If you backup to your Mac in iTunes using encryption, you only have to enter your AppleID password once when you restore it. I just backed up and restored 3 iPads and 2 iPhones from iOS 8 to iOS 9 and entered my AppleID password 5 times. Apple Pay and finger prints were included when I restored my iPhone 6. So, yes, easy.

• Reply 17 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

If you backup to your Mac in iTunes using encryption, you only have to enter your AppleID password once when you restore it. I just backed up and restored 3 iPads and 2 iPhones from iOS 8 to iOS 9 and entered my AppleID password 5 times. Apple Pay and finger prints were included when I restored my iPhone 6. So, yes, easy.

i just found that - was this new to iTunes 12 ?

i hope this remember all my apply pay data as well....

i have a dodgy mute with on my iPhone, when muted, it turns on/off just from touching anywhere near the switch - driving me crazy, but re-enetering so much stuff has prevented me from taking it to apple for repair - now i can do that!

• Reply 18 of 39
    tyler82 wrote: »
    I love the disclaimer at the bottom "Bring your Android phone to an Apple Store and we'll recycle it for you" which is basically code for "toss that pice of sh!t in the trash where it belongs!"

That's technically not recycling. ;)
  • Reply 19 of 39
    Doesn't this require a wired or cabled connection, and iTunes? Can a 'restore from backup' be done wirelessly, between only two iPhones :\ ?

Syncing with iTunes requires either a USB cable or Wifi.
    Syncing with iCloud requires Wifi.
    There is no restore "wirelessly between two phones."
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ai46 View Post

i just found that - was this new to iTunes 12 ?

i hope this remember all my apply pay data as well....

i have a dodgy mute with on my iPhone, when muted, it turns on/off just from touching anywhere near the switch - driving me crazy, but re-enetering so much stuff has prevented me from taking it to apple for repair - now i can do that!

I believe it's been there for a while. I haven't used ApplePay since upgrading, but as far as I can tell, all my credit card info is correct after upgrading. Use a cable to back up to your Mac, set the backup to "This Computer," give it a password--write that down!!!--click backup, download any stuff that's on the iDevice but not on the computer, then run the backup twice, just to make sure it got everything. Now you can take the phone to an Apple Store and if they replace it, when you set up the new one, just plug it in to the computer and restore from backup. An extra benefit is that the restore won't take all day like restoring from iCloud.

HTH