iOS 9 adoption at 12.5% and rising after 24 hours of availability

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66

Was that comment meant for the Apple Stores with trees thread? :D

I didn't follow that branch. :p
  • Reply 42 of 66

I spent the $3 and bought it. Pretty good!
  • Reply 43 of 66
    I'm really liking iOS 9 a lot on my assorted devices... especially the different ad-blocking apps(!). I haven't picked one yet, but Peace is looking really good and a notch above Blockr and Chrystal.

Sad only for my customers with older iPad 2, 4s, etc. that this **Killer App/Function** does not work on their devices. They could've really used it.

Oh well... time to push some new Apple hardware :D

*** How (sadly?) appropriate the name "Killer" applies here.

Oh yeah... and as others have already stated, sadder yet is that AI Forums is the worst site experienced with iOS 9... by a long shot... with over 120+ websites in my daily feed that load and scroll like butter(!) :no:
  • Reply 44 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Seems to be going just as smoothly as most other recent Apple OS rollouts.

Quote:

Apple customers report devices crashing after iOS 9 update

A significant number of Apple customers are reporting their mobile devices have crashed after attempting to upgrade to the new iOS 9 operating system, the latest in a line of launch glitches for the tech giant.

Twitter and other social media were awash with disgruntled customers reporting two distinct faults, with one appearing to be linked specifically to older models of Apple iPhones and iPads.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/digital-life-news/it-is-beyond-inconvenient-apple-customers-report-devices-crashing-after-ios-9-update-20150918-gjq9c9.html

• Reply 45 of 66

iOS 9 feeling a tad sluggish on my 6+ compared to iOS 8, but no bugs. Hopefully performance improves on subsequent releases.

• Reply 46 of 66
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Typical... drive-by posters make spew their crap, with zero detail to back it up and as usual... disappear.

Upgraded all my iDevices to iOS9.  Zero issues.  Seems to be more the rule, than the exception.

Really happy with it on my iPhone 6, but I've temporarily restored back to 8.4.1 on my iPad Air as the stuttering when scrolling through the threads on AI (holding it in landscape mode) was really annoying me. I know that 'going to portrait' seems to cure it but then the text is too small for my comfort.

Does anyone have a cure for that particular issue?

• Reply 47 of 66
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I admit I'm still a bit on the fence. My new phone arrives next Friday. So is there any advantage to upgrading to iOS 9 on my current 6 Plus?

Anyone?

What fence? There is no fence. There are only people who think they know better than Apple as to whether or not software updates should be applied.

Update it. 

• Reply 48 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I don't like the "cards" view of the open apps. It's more difficult to determine what's open and to close an open app because flipping through the "cards" is sloppy. Nothing snaps into place. There's no drop shadow or other element visually separating the cards. Pretty terrible compared to the previous implementation and seems like 'change for change's sake'.

I like the cards view because you can actually see more than one app at a time. You don't need to see the content, that was always a gimmicky addition. It scrolls much more fluidly, and with the 3D effect is like flipping through a deck rather than each individual card flying past you left-to-right.

Big usability improvement. And it doesn't need to "snap" because you tap to open them wherever they land, and can also swipe up to close any of them, not just the one in front of you.

• Reply 49 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdyB View Post

Really happy with it on my iPhone 6, but I've temporarily restored back to 8.4.1 on my iPad Air as the stuttering when scrolling through the threads on AI (holding it in landscape mode) was really annoying me. I know that 'going to portrait' seems to cure it but then the text is too small for my comfort.

Does anyone have a cure for that particular issue?

For most people the experience is the exact opposite. Apps that use Metal scroll infinitely better than they ever did before. Maybe try installing a content blocker and see if that helps, or reset settings.

• Reply 50 of 66
    pmz wrote: »
    I like the cards view because you can actually see more than one app at a time. You don't need to see the content, that was always a gimmicky addition. It scrolls much more fluidly, and with the 3D effect is like flipping through a deck rather than each individual card flying past you left-to-right.

Big usability improvement. And it doesn't need to "snap" because you tap to open them wherever they land, and can also swipe up to close any of them, not just the one in front of you.

You can't swipe up to close the app until the cards stop moving and the cards don't stop moving in an intelligent way, they slide around instead of "magnetically" snapping into position.
  • Reply 51 of 66
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    iOS 7 numbers will likely stay consistent for a bit; it's not just iPhone 4 owners but people with A5 devices who don't want to upgrade to 8; 9 doesn't make things worse but it's rarely better for them than 8 is.

More like people with Jailbroken devices who "won't" upgrade.
    You can't swipe up to close the app until the cards stop moving and the cards don't stop moving in an intelligent way, they slide around instead of "magnetically" snapping into position.

Eh... I preferred the previous version because I could close the apps without focusing them first.
  • Reply 52 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Ad Blocking alone is worth it. The webpage will be loaded much faster.

I just installed Peace on iPhone 6. Can't tell how effective it is, but some ads are still getting through. Supposedly they use Ghostery's database but it does not seem to work quite as well.

Looks like no Ad Blockers are available for iPhone 5, iPad 2,3,4 or iPad mini 1 even though they can run iOS 9.

• Reply 53 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

It has been unusually quiet on the Apple Discussion Forums. Oh there’s the usual screaming and hollering by a few screwballs about bricked phones and such, you know the background noise that accompanies any release. But it seems to be a successful launch and rightfully so. This has probably been the most pre-tested iOS release ever. Developer and public beta programs have seen to that.

Unfortunately, I am one of the few that have had problems on my iPhone 6. During the upgrade, it got stuck on a step where I had to "Swipe to Upgrade." I had to do multiple DFU restores and set it up as a new phone for it to finally work. Whenever I tried to use either my iTunes or iCloud backups, it would not download the apps, and prodding or poking the app icons on the home screen or in the App Store would not get them to download. Now I have to just decide which of 1500 apps I had previously I really need to download from scratch from the App Store. Since I have had previous problems with updates (ever since iOS 7.0) and I have been upgraded continuously since iOS2, so I suspect there is something corrupted in my profile. I haven't upgraded my iPad Air. I will be crossing my fingers on that one. 

• Reply 54 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

Unfortunately, I am one of the few that have had problems on my iPhone 6. During the upgrade, it got stuck on a step where I had to "Swipe to Upgrade." I had to do multiple DFU restores and set it up as a new phone for it to finally work. Whenever I tried to use either my iTunes or iCloud backups, it would not download the apps, and prodding or poking the app icons on the home screen or in the App Store would not get them to download. Now I have to just decide which of 1500 apps I had previously I really need to download from scratch from the App Store. Since I have had previous problems with updates (ever since iOS 7.0) and I have been upgraded continuously since iOS2, so I suspect there is something corrupted in my profile. I haven't upgraded my iPad Air. I will be crossing my fingers on that one. 

Yeah I bircked a brand new 5s on setup to the point it wasn't recoverable by the store techs and they handed me a new one: when they discovered I'd serially setup phones since the 3 series with restore from.. they said I'd accumulated corruption that had finally just caught up with me...

• Reply 55 of 66
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    pmz wrote: »

For most people the experience is the exact opposite. Apps that use Metal scroll infinitely better than they ever did before. Maybe try installing a content blocker and see if that helps, or reset settings.

Content blocker - such as Crystal?
  • Reply 56 of 66
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

What fence? There is no fence. There are only people who think they know better than Apple as to whether or not software updates should be applied.

Update it. 

The fence that exists when I'm only going to have the thing for another 7 days.

• Reply 57 of 66
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

The fence that exists when I'm only going to have the thing for another 7 days.

It might make restoring your new phone smoother if it was an iOS 9 backup.

• Reply 58 of 66
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

It might make restoring your new phone smoother if it was an iOS 9 backup.

That's where my interest has centered so I've settled with leaving it at 8.4.1 until I get the new one Friday, then in the spirit of what the hell I'll update the 6 Plus, backup; and then setup my new one from there. A smooth transition for my settings, passwords and other stuff will be worth the slight bit of extra effort and it's the start of a long weekend for me and I can putter with chores while it grinds away. Getting all my music etc. onto the new one is going to be an overnight run anyway... the "benefit" os having the experience of 9 on the 6 series for under an entire week I can forego. (I'll freely admit: two weeks and out and I would have totally caved...)

and as everyone reflects: better done right than done fast and glitched up.

• Reply 59 of 66

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

Quote:

Yeah I bircked a brand new 5s on setup to the point it wasn't recoverable by the store techs and they handed me a new one: when they discovered I'd serially setup phones since the 3 series with restore from.. they said I'd accumulated corruption that had finally just caught up with me...

And I bricked my iPad. Now for the endless cycles of DFU restores, setting up as new device, restoring again, hours trying to synchronize... I should have held out a little longer. 

• Reply 60 of 66
    Actually that 5s was at its release when I was setting up my brand new phone from a restore from backup initial setup. Not a recent experience involving iOS 9. But it's made me conservative on these things.