iOS 9 adoption at 12.5% and rising after 24 hours of availability

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 66
    cm477 wrote: »
    And I bricked my iPad. Now for the endless cycles of DFU restores, setting up as new device, restoring again, hours trying to synchronize... I should have held out a little longer. 

Quick question: did you initiate the upgrade over WiFi on your iPad, or did you plug it into your Mac running the newest version of iTunes (12.3 from 17 Sept.)?
  • Reply 62 of 66
    mstone wrote: »
    I just installed Peace on iPhone 6. Can't tell how effective it is, but some ads are still getting through. Supposedly they use Ghostery's database but it does not seem to work quite as well.

Looks like no Ad Blockers are available for iPhone 5, iPad 2,3,4 or iPad mini 1 even though they can run iOS 9.

Yes, that's true... unfortunately because it is the older iOS devices that would've benefited most from Ad-Blockers. :\

News: as has been reported "Peace" which used the Ghostery database and API is no longer available because the developer Marco Ament pulled it. I fully expect Ghostery to create their own ad blocker for iOS, but in the mean time I'm successfully, liking, and suggesting Blockr over Chrystal. Main reason is for it's added pro functions and access directly from within Safari to black as well as white-list, and to temporarily turn on and off.
  • Reply 63 of 66

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

And I bricked my iPad. Now for the endless cycles of DFU restores, setting up as new device, restoring again, hours trying to synchronize... I should have held out a little longer. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Quick question: did you initiate the upgrade over WiFi on your iPad, or did you plug it into your Mac running the newest version of iTunes (12.3 from 17 Sept.)?

I tried upgrade connected directly to my Mac. In my experience, I have had upgrades via iTunes and "over the air" both fail, but it has not been predictable. I think this is the first time both my iPhone and iPad have failed. I haven't upgraded my wife's iPhone yet, but presumably whatever is corrupting the process is not present on her phone or in her backups (and she uses my old phones). 

Interestingly, I had problems with the iOS 9 beta on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air. I was able to restore my iPhone to 8.4 completely, but I could not get the apps to sync/upload on my iPad. It seemed to be a software issue, but I convinced the Apple Store "Geniuses" to give me a new iPad since I argued that nothing else had worked (at this point I knew more about this stuff than they did, and I had the most condescending "Genius" I have ever encountered in however many years there has been a Genius Bar.). The new iPad worked perfectly, restoring and synching all the apps completely. So a new device can fix the problem (even if only temporarily) even if it seems like a pure software issue. Even with DFU or factory restores, there remains some"problem" on the device. 

• Reply 64 of 66
    cm477 wrote: »
    I tried upgrade connected directly to my Mac. In my experience, I have had upgrades via iTunes and "over the air" both fail, but it has not been predictable. I think this is the first time both my iPhone and iPad have failed. I haven't upgraded my wife's iPhone yet, but presumably whatever is corrupting the process is not present on her phone or in her backups (and she uses my old phones). 

Interestingly, I had problems with the iOS 9 beta on both my iPhone 6 and iPad Air. I was able to restore my iPhone to 8.4 completely, but I could not get the apps to sync/upload on my iPad. It seemed to be a software issue, but I convinced the Apple Store "Geniuses" to give me a new iPad since I argued that nothing else had worked (at this point I knew more about this stuff than they did, and I had the most condescending "Genius" I have ever encountered in however many years there has been a Genius Bar.). The new iPad worked perfectly, restoring and synching all the apps completely. So a new device can fix the problem (even if only temporarily) even if it seems like a pure software issue. Even with DFU or factory restores, there remains some"problem" on the device. 

First, wanna say thank you for your detailed reply which is always helpful when trying to find a solution to a problem.

Yeah... I'm also leaning towards a software issue here, and quite possibly "repeated update/system rot" which carries over to the backups of course.

Now with that said, considering that you were successful in a full restore from backup to a new devise, we may have to consider the idea as Apple fans, and something the Android crowd has seen specifically with assorted dives including Nexus branded products from Google, that the hard drives simply wear out... some faster than others. Odd again though that you would experience this on 2 of your devices.

Completely outside of our control, but there have been times when I would really have liked to be sure that an older iOS device is truly wiped clean before selling it. Something that I do to all Macs be doing a double pass secure wipe and zero-write in Disk Utility.

Regardless, thanks again for your reply... and sorry to hear about your Genius Bar experience. That's something that you should write a letter to Apple about. Feedback is always good, and don't forget to write about good experiences as well ;)
  • Reply 65 of 66
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Had some spare time so I updated my 6 Plus. Updated the iTunes. Synced the phone and set the update to download only. Got all the apps and podcasts downloaded. Synced the phone once the update and podcasts and apps had been downloaded. Backed up the phone. Disconnected the phone, made sure all the apps were closed and powered it off. Restarted the phone, once up and running I reconnected to my desktop and when asked if I wanted to install the downloaded update I said yes.

Oh and my local backup is encrypted so my passwords are retained.

Once through the few setup question steps I ejected, then powered off the phone and restarted it.

The wallet has my various cards, ApplePay is functional, my various accounts are still accessible via my Touch ID and other accounts still let me in with the saved ID. Linked to my Watch and SoundLink Mini II smoothly.

So far so normal.
  • Reply 66 of 66
    I'm finding a few bugs though~
    1). Photos from my photo albums don't upload when on Facebook anymore~
    2). Sometimes, images I was not intending on sending or selected are sent anyways~!
    3). My battery now gets very warm when charging my phone~ It's also NOT charging up as quickly as it did before iOS 9.
    I have an iPhone 6~