Apple exhausts launch-day iPhone 6s, 6s Plus preorder supply

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Hmm, someone got their phone early and according to 9to5Mac the A9 chip is a beast. Can't wait for geekbench scores of the A9X.

Is a beast of an  A9 clip,  a battery eater ?   :wow:

• Reply 22 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The way to shut down the scalpers and ensure stock for people buying an iPhone for themselves is to limit purchases to one iPhone, not two. Selling two iPhones to each person makes scalping profitable and screws over the people who just want to buy one.

ridiculous idea. I pre-ordered two, gold for me and rose-gold for the wife. Hoping they arrive Friday else it'll be Monday the way post-office / local couriers work in Scotland.

• Reply 23 of 35
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    With 4K video I have to wonder if at some point a way to record to an external storage device would be feasible. I fully get why Apple have no such feature for general use, but if there were a way via the connector to record 4K to some wee box with removable media the possibilities would be amazing. Given Apple is at the forefront of 4K editing too this would be a win win for Apple.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    adm1 wrote: »
    ridiculous idea. I pre-ordered two, gold for me and rose-gold for the wife. Hoping they arrive Friday else it'll be Monday the way post-office / local couriers work in Scotland.

You didn't go for the tartan ones then? ;)
  • Reply 25 of 35
    josha wrote: »
    Is a beast of an  A9 clip,  a battery eater ?   :wow:

It seems Apple always manage great battery life, if not better, with each new iteration of an iPhone despite far greater power. If this keeps up iPhones will generate power as well as be better than a Cray ;)
  • Reply 26 of 35
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

The way to shut down the scalpers and ensure stock for people buying an iPhone for themselves is to limit purchases to one iPhone, not two. Selling two iPhones to each person makes scalping profitable and screws over the people who just want to buy one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

You didn't go for the tartan ones then? image

no, I'd lose it too easily. need it to stand out against the kilt, tartan furniture, tartan carpet and the pet haggis who wears a wee tartan coat. ;)

• Reply 27 of 35
    adm1 wrote: »
    no, I'd lose it too easily. need it to stand out against the kilt, tartan furniture, tartan carpet and the pet haggis who wears a wee tartan coat. ;)

ROFL
  • Reply 28 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MAJANI View Post

What's limiting the thickness of the phone (among other things) is the 3.5mm audio jack on the device. True, an iPhone is 6.9mm deep so there's probably a few more tenths of a millimeter they can shave off, but I don't see it being substantially thinner unless they drop that port or change it to a flatter design. Personally, I can see Apple doing it but I'd really, really rather they didn't use a propitiatory or other non-standard connection for headphones. Are really, on larger format phones, do we really need/want thinner?

And, there ya go...

http://appleinsider.com/articles/15/09/22/apple-prepares-for-thinner-smartphones-with-slim-headphone-plug-patent

• Reply 29 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adm1 View Post

We're not talking about restrictions on pre-orders.  We're talking about restrictions on walk-ins without an appointment.

• Reply 30 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member
    mcarling wrote: »

We're not talking about restrictions on pre-orders.  We're talking about restrictions on walk-ins without an appointment.
    But the same point holds. If I missed the pre-order window for some reason, and had to order one each for me and my life partner, and someone has to stay home and look after the cats, then we're back up to two.

Of course, I could construct a more elaborate scenario in which I might have a legitimate reason to buy three or more in person on launch day, but a limit of two seems a reasonable compromise. (If the au pair needs one, she can damn well wait in line for herself. Or at least get over her problems with the cats.)

The point is restricting the number of phones you can buy at a time is an inconvenience to your customers, and making it minimally inconvenient to a majority of people is good customer service. Limiting it to one would probably lead to an outcry, probably on these very pages, about how unfair it is for couples with work or caring responsibilities (look, one of the cats had conjunctivitis, so someone needs to look after them at the moment).
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Anome View Post

and someone has to stay home and look after the cats.

Jesus H., are you serious?

• Reply 32 of 35
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member
    joelsalt wrote: »
    Jesus H., are you serious?
    Well, we're not allowed to keep haggis as pets here, as they're classified as an invasive pest. A good thing, too, having seen the damage done by the Great Haggis Plague of 1996.
  • Reply 33 of 35

Well, there we have it then. I'd take that as proof they're at least trying to make phones substantially slimmer (or teardrop shaped).

• Reply 34 of 35
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder if this will outsell iPhoney Galaxy S6 day one?