Apple exhausts launch-day iPhone 6s, 6s Plus preorder supply

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2015
Apple on Monday officially ran out of online stock for people wanting to get an iPhone 6s or 6s Plus on launch day, Sept. 25, though some orders may still ship relatively quickly.

Across all launch countries, the earliest possible delivery date has been updated to Sept. 29. Some U.S. deliveries of the regular 6s could happen as late as Oct. 6 though, and Apple's U.K. site mentions shipments taking 1 to 2 weeks. For an iPhone 6s Plus, times have stretched out to 3 to 4 weeks worldwide.

In past years, such delays often took effect within hours or even minutes of Apple opening iPhone preorders. This year, however, Apple added several more days between the start of preorders and the actual launch, presumably giving it more time to build up inventory.

The best chance of getting a 6s or 6s Plus on launch day now likely involves lining up at a retail store, whether one of Apple's or one belonging to a third-party chain, such as AT&T or Best Buy.

To keep control of scalpers Apple is limiting retail purchases to reservations in some regions, including Japan, mainland China, Hong Kong, and tax-free U.S. states. Scalpers could potentially abuse sales in tax-free states to turn a higher profit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    I think it's just that anyone planning to buy phones and ship them overseas would gravitate to states that don't charge sales tax. Using the words "abuse" and "scalpers" is being a bit pejorative methinks.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

In related news, "Samsung announces it will exhaust launch-day Galaxy S6 Plus preorder supply" (by producing exactly 6 of them).

• Reply 3 of 35
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    The way to shut down the scalpers and ensure stock for people buying an iPhone for themselves is to limit purchases to one iPhone, not two. Selling two iPhones to each person makes scalping profitable and screws over the people who just want to buy one.
  • Reply 4 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    mcarling wrote: »
    The way to shut down the scalpers and ensure stock for people buying an iPhone for themselves is to limit purchases to one iPhone, not two. Selling two iPhones to each person makes scalping profitable and screws over the people who just want to buy one.

Sorry, that won't work. What if you want buy an iPhone for you and your significant other?

They could force a "no cash for two phones" purchases.
  • Reply 5 of 35
    I am not surprised. I checked a few days ago on in-store pick up options (since I was toying with the idea of canceling my Day 0 order, and taking advantage of the 10% Discover card discount by buying it outright): basically, the only model I saw being available were 16GB gray. Almost all the 128s were gone, as well as the copper and the gold.
  • Reply 6 of 35
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    But but they had more days for preorders! Fail fail. /s
  • Reply 7 of 35
    I don't think this means they "sold out." It just means they can't deliver phones ordered today by September 25.

It's not any more than that.

It's doesn't mean the supply dried up. And it doesn't mean (as some have suggested) that Apple created this shortage and moved all it;s units in stores.

It just means that if you order a phone assembled in China on a Monday, you might not get it by Friday.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Sorry, that won't work. What if you want buy an iPhone for you and your significant other?

It would work perfectly.  If the two people are so close they can queue together -- or separately -- or one person can queue twice if she loves her that much.

• Reply 9 of 35
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    If you think this was hit...wait til IP7 next year. All new design most likely. Everyone with a IP6 and higher will upgrade.

I'm willing to guess mostly IP5S and lower are currently upgrading.

They're getting to the point (if not already) in which they have little room to change the design. Can't go bigger. Thinner yes, but how much? Enough to make it look significantly different?
  • Reply 10 of 35
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mcarling View Post

It will not work. They will just send more people to buy iPhones for them. In the US, the issue is not as bad as it used to be since Apple started releasing the iPhone in China and HK at the same time as the US.

• Reply 11 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It will not work. They will just send more people to buy iPhones for them.

Not so simple.  The scalpers pay $50 per phone.  They would have to raise that to $100 per phone to keep the same number of scalpers.  To get more scalpers would require a further increase in the price, trashing their margins.  One iPhone per person would probably put the scalpers out of business.

• Reply 12 of 35
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    They're getting to the point (if not already) in which they have little room to change the design. Can't go bigger. Thinner yes, but how much? Enough to make it look significantly different?
    I think we will see a design with no physician home button soon and an edge to edge screen. Giving us either larger screen with same physical size or same screen size but smaller phone. I think this is where 3D Touch will eventually lead us.
  • Reply 13 of 35
    I think we will see a design with no physician home button soon and an edge to edge screen. Giving us either larger screen with same physical size or same screen size but smaller phone. I think this is where 3D Touch will eventually lead us.

We're still years away from an in-screen fingerprint scanner
  • Reply 14 of 35
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member

"Apple on Monday officially ran out of online stock..."

Well, someone has to say it...

Apple is Doomed!!!

• Reply 15 of 35

Scalpers are a nuisance. Especially in places like here, where the end users can't buy them because the scalpers send their buying scouts and buy all they can.

It's so ridiculous and if there was a law for it I would jail them when they finish their purchase, run out of the shop and offer it for sale in front of the Apple Store.

I make me sick to my stomach. 

Edit: I'm from HK and preordered around 5-10 minutes after going live (since the website was unavailable for me so long) and times were already 4-6 weeks when I hit the page.

• Reply 16 of 35
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

What's limiting the thickness of the phone (among other things) is the 3.5mm audio jack on the device. True, an iPhone is 6.9mm deep so there's probably a few more tenths of a millimeter they can shave off, but I don't see it being substantially thinner unless they drop that port or change it to a flatter design. Personally, I can see Apple doing it but I'd really, really rather they didn't use a propitiatory or other non-standard connection for headphones. Are really, on larger format phones, do we really need/want thinner?

They're plenty of other things Apple can do with future iPhones: wireless charging, curved screens (akin to the Flex, not Samsung's), higher refresh rates, glasses-less 3D, or simply bumping storage up. With Samsung bumping up V-NAND up to 32 and 48 layers, and being efficient to boot, there's almost no reason why iPhone storage can't be doubled across the board, and not for much more money, either.

Software, well software always evolves. It's hard to say what will and won't be implemented. iOS stick lacks interface elements versus Android (To clarify, I believe all phone OSs lack elements from each other and none are a perfect solution), and all phones still lack elements from Desktops that can reasonably be implemented now. With iOS 10 (iOSX?) being next years release I'd imagine they've got something big in the works. MacOS and iOS cross-compatible apps/OS, anyone? An iPad Pro could run either frankly, depending on preference.

• Reply 17 of 35
    I can hardly wait for the bus loads of Chinese scalpers to show up.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Hmm, someone got their phone early and according to 9to5Mac the A9 chip is a beast. Can't wait for geekbench scores of the A9X.

[QUOTE]In addition to images of the device itself, Geekbench results from the device were shared, as well. In a single-core Geekbench test, the iPhone 6s scored a 2413, beating out the Retina iPad mini, iPad mini 3, and even the iPad Air 2. The multi-core score of the device was 4795. The Geekbench results also confirmed that the device features 2GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 19 of 35
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    If you think this was hit...wait til IP7 next year. All new design most likely. Everyone with a IP6 and higher will upgrade.

Next year's iPhones will have a built-in selfie stick... You heard it here first!

Liquid Metal next year, so when you drop your iPhone it bounces right back up into your hand.

iPhone 7 Siri will have Barbara Eden's chirpy voice, and you will be able to have her call you "Master." During "dark mode" Siri will start getting frisky and have a sultry tone to her voice.

Next year's iPhones will be able to charge by using your body heat.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

Not me. My iP5c is just starting a long life with me !