Top iOS ad blocker Crystal lets advertisers pay to bypass restrictions

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Nice reporting on the subject AppleInsider¡ You failed to mention that the developer said that this will be a feature you can turn on/off like many Ad blockers on desktop. But I guess your agenda now is to make those ad blocker look like villains.
  • Reply 42 of 184

Wow.... Ive been scammed! 

Just left a one star review for Crystal as well as scathing comments. 

.. and I dont care if you can turn the feature off. The fact that he is doing it in the first place, and not mentioning it anywhere when I bought it shows him to be the scammer that he is. I would never have bought it knowing his intention was to get the advertisers to pay him to let ad's through !

I then went and bought Purify which is on sale today for just 79p in the UK and disabled Crystal. Atleast I can white list now too.....

Now, to complain to Apple for a refund I think..

• Reply 43 of 184
    Dude. One must think that this will impact the sales of the Crystal ad blocker. Which, will never be heard from again once word gets around.
  • Reply 44 of 184
    I voted by requesting a refund for the app.
  • Reply 45 of 184

wait, so google is paying to show adds. i mean, come on, really? though that does make me smile, this app no longer does what it says it does and therefore does not meet apple's app guidelines (false advertising), drop this app. glad i got it for free, sorry for those who did not.

• Reply 46 of 184
    Simple solution. Go to the App Store, give Crystal a 1-star rating, then go to iTunes and request a refund, try another content blocker.

I have to say, this is the first refund I've ever requested from Apple.
  • Reply 47 of 184
    nasserae wrote: »
    Nice reporting on the subject AppleInsider¡ You failed to mention that the developer said that this will be a feature you can turn on/off like many Ad blockers on desktop. But I guess your agenda now is to make those ad blocker look like villains.

I had no idea about that. I already submitted my refund.
  • Reply 48 of 184
    Hey Crystal! Fk you! Give me my $1 back you POS!
  • Reply 49 of 184
    You'll be able to turn the future off?
    So he'll take money from the advertisers to allow ads through... and then allow us to block them anyway?
    Well he's ripping off someone - I just can't work out who. :/

lol

This is a 'dog and his bone' story.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    This feels dirty. Non obtrusive ads should be allowed for free. The guy just set up a toll booth on Apple's highway. What if a nefarious "redirect ad" company gives him $1 MM?
  • Reply 51 of 184
    mikesmoke wrote: »
    Well. I'm glad Crystal cost me only 99 cents. The ad blocker that doesn't block ads. Will be looking for a replacement. Good to know this information.

Go into iTunes, view purchase history, and click "report a problem." Request refund.
  • Reply 52 of 184
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jungmark wrote: »
    This feels dirty. Non obtrusive ads should be allowed for free. The guy just set up a toll booth on Apple's highway. What if a nefarious "redirect ad" company gives him $1 MM?

He's basically made himself a gatekeeper.

Expect tons of these apps to come in the coming months. People are gonna exploit the crap out of this money pit.
  • Reply 53 of 184
    If this pisses you off as much as it does me, go to the App Store and leave a one star review. Also include a statement exposing the developer for betraying his users and selling out to the very advertisers from which he offered protection.

Also include this link for instructions on how to get a refund (for anyone who didn't get the app for free):

DOUCHEBAG APP DEVELOPER

http://murphyapps.co/about/

• Reply 54 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foris View Post

Did this guy used to work at Volkswagen?

I think his best friend is Pharma Bro.

• Reply 55 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Douglas Bailey View Post

Well he's ripping off someone - I just can't work out who. :/

Here's a tip to answer your question... How much did you pay him vs. how much are advertisers likely paying him?

• Reply 56 of 184
    It is kind of funny though to see a developer out Google Google. Make them pay access to play their game. Maybe he can charge them by the hit.
  • Reply 57 of 184
    sog35 wrote: »
    Thats why its time for Apple to man up and release their own Ad blocker for iOS.

How about this?

Embed ad blocking in settings.

Allow the user to white list what they want with on and off switches.

Only have Goog ads blocked by default.
  • Reply 58 of 184
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    badmonk wrote: »
    Let us all trash the app with 1 ??/???? reviews!

????

Deleted.

Done.

And I've now got my refund.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,293member
    I'll be asking for a refund just to make a point.
  • Reply 60 of 184
    sog35 wrote: »

Good idea.  I'm sure Apple can make an awesome ad-blocker.  It isn't rocket science.

The media will have a field day, but who cares.  

And if Giggle complains or tries to take Apple to court, it will only make them look like the scum they are.

It's a Win-Win-Win-Win