Adobe releases Photoshop and Premiere Elements 14 for Mac with new tools

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What entity uses the refine tool and brushes over the fine hairs ... Could that be a human?

The point is that you don't have to deal with the fine hairs yourself. You just position the brush over the area that needs work and the software "knows" what you want to do. It is sort of like telling the gardener to cut the roses and pull the weeds. You don't have to tell him to cut each individual flower and pull each dandelion one by one.

• Reply 22 of 27
    mstone wrote: »
    What entity uses the refine tool and brushes over the fine hairs ... Could that be a human?
    The point is that you don't have to deal with the fine hairs yourself. You just position the brush over the area that needs work and the software "knows" what you want to do. It is sort of like telling the gardener to cut the roses and pull the weeds. You don't have to tell him to cut each individual flower and pull each dandelion one by one.

From the results, I'd call it mowing rather than cutting individual flowers ...
  • Reply 23 of 27
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

In this case you are just wrong. The hair / fur edge detection is outstanding, better than Photoshop or Affinity.
  • Reply 24 of 27
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,821member
    Exactly! It works similar to the Quick Select tool in both Photoshop and Affinity Photo. First you do a quick select and then use the refine tool. The red mask which is just one view choice adjusts to capture the fine hairs automatically as you brush over them.

As I stated in the post where I unintentionally started this side bar, they almost always use examples in marketing videos that are reasonably simple, and as Dick says, even then they are not perfect. In real life unless the model in question is 'green screened' the results are usually sub par with any software. Am I surprised? No of course not, but my OP was, it is marketing trickery, and the point is proven when i see gullible comments like, 'That feature alone is worth the price!" written in blogs referring to the marketing ad. I too have used Adobe products since they were beta and use the latest versions today.
  • Reply 25 of 27

In this case you are just wrong. The hair / fur edge detection is outstanding, better than Photoshop or Affinity.

My subjective opinion is it different than yours -- that does make either wrong?

BTW, have you actually used this new Adobe offering with any challenging fur/hair/edge image? The reason I ask is that, according to the article, the software was just released.

Adobe on Thursday [09/24/15] debuted Photoshop Elements 14 and Premiere Elements 14, its latest set of consumer level photo and video editing tools that now comes with even more automated features to make your images pop.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    My subjective opinion is it different than yours -- that does make either wrong?

BTW, have you actually used this new Adobe offering with any challenging fur/hair/edge image? The reason I ask is that, according to the article, the software was just released.

Actually Dick... your picking hairs* here (literally!) ;)

@mstone is correct in stating that the "Refine Mask..." processing in PS and Elements is pretty outstanding in many cases.

@digitalclips is also correct in stating that Adobe specifically chooses easy photos to start with for marketing purposes.

And if you really want to get "anal retentive" about the subject of "professional masking", there is absolutely NO ONE-CLICK masking tool, plug in, or feature anywhere that takes the place of pixel-peeping, hand painting/correcting, and/or combining the different approaches that @mstone mentioned above for different portions within the same photo for absolutely fail-proof professional results when compositing.

Pro-masking is an incredibly large part of what makes me The Pixel Doc when not doing IT support... :smokey:

*** There's only 1 way to perfectly mask all hairs, and that's carefully painting the mask, or even painting the hairs over again or adding some new ones. The reason being is that the original hairs themselves "might contain" too much color contamination (even if this can also be controlled in Refine Mask), or not enough in some cases where the background is drastically different than the subject your cutting out/compositing.
  • Reply 27 of 27

Am I missing something?

First: While you posted a video (above), it looks like an image is being edited -- not a video .

Second: The result is terrible in the amount of detail that's lost.

1000  1000

Here's an example of isolating hair in a compressed video, not an image using FCP

[VIDEO]

The capabilities demonstrated are a standard feature of FCP -- no need to buy any extras!

Just wanna say thanks for the video(!)... and ya... pretty much what I'm talking about in my above post regarding "no one single click method" to perfect masking.