Apple sells blockbuster 13 million iPhone 6s, 6s Plus units in launch weekend

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 88
    It didn't include China last time around for a start.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smarky View Post

This is interesting to hear and good news for Apple. 

I have connections with the biggest supplier of multi network phones via retail here in the UK and every indiction has been that sales have been poor and a lot less than they where expecting.

Before launch a memo went out to all staff in the company (many thousands) that usual staff discount is not available on the device due to demand and the decision will not be reviewed until Feburary at the earliest.

On Sunday it was announced that staff discount was now being offered effective immediately as well as several other discounts above the normal which are effectively several hundred pounds discount vs the already fairly heavy standard staff discount, with particular activity around the 16gb model (I guess this may be a local issue and the company bought to many 16gb models?) were they launched a flash sale for colleagues until the end of the week.

They also announced several price reductions on the 16gb model just 3 days after release as well as various urgent internal company memos and conference calls about how important it is to sell into these.

I think the reality is that there are now quite a few reasonable quality android phones now which are considerably cheaper - Motorola for example, and last year was the big punch with new looking phones. In the UK the intiial price cotinues to also be further and further divorced of subsidies.

It will be interesting to see if Apple rolls out their upgrade /leasing payment plan internationally next year to help mitigate/hide the cost factor... 

I havent seen much evidence of strong demand in France either. I see a LOT more Samsungs in people's hands, and in shops. SFR is particularly agressive, but so is Orange at pushing those.

• Reply 82 of 88
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wdowell View Post

I'm replying to this on an iPhone 6s. I've never owned an android device in my life.

I wish this forum would allow for a bit of intellectual curiosity - i am in business and find the numbers interesting, instead of this sort of infantile commentary that I see over and over again.

Of course ? will thrive and the iPhone sales be strong but I'm adding context to their announcement.

This isn't intellectual curiosity but mental masturbation.  Without data there is no way to have any sort of informed discussion whether a week more pre-order or extra country means anything at all.  Demand exceeded supply is the only data point you have.  To determine if it made any difference would require you to know, or at least have a reasonable guess, how much demand exceeded supply.

Conjecture that "sales were flat YoY if you only consider 2014 launch countries" has as much merit as conjecture that if Apple had made 20M phones they could have sold them at launch.  In other words, zero merit.

Given the way the "curiosity" was conveyed the only conclusion is a desire for concern trolling and not honest discussion.  No thanks.

• Reply 83 of 88
    jungmark wrote: »
    wdowell wrote: »
    For those of you who say the extra week of pre-orders didnt help, of course it did - it's an extra week of pre-orders booked for the first day!
    If the argument is that they wouldnt have sold more - as if there was a finite number of interest which didnt increase with word of mouth as days rolled into second week - is madness. and doesnt stand water. Do sales suddenly go to zero when the phone is in the shops? of course it doesnt - it continues to sell. Giving an extra week of pre-orders no doubt increased the number.  

My point remains - they allowed an additional week to get that first burst of sales looking solid. 

Add china to comparable numbers, in additional to that week, and i find 12 million very modest - if not flat -growth Y/Y.

If Apple had a certain quantity set aside for preorders, why would it matter if they had 3 days or 7 days or 10 days? It also had a finite quantity of in-store iPhones as well.

While that's true the expanded time gave many people that couldn't get a preorder in before the chance to get one in now.
  • Reply 84 of 88
    Quote:

I think the reality is that there are now quite a few reasonable quality android phones now which are considerably cheaper - Motorola for example, and last year was the big punch with new looking phones. In the UK the intiial price cotinues to also be further and further divorced of subsidies.

It will be interesting to see if Apple rolls out their upgrade /leasing payment plan internationally next year to help mitigate/hide the cost factor... 

I havent seen much evidence of strong demand in France either. I see a LOT more Samsungs in people's hands, and in shops. SFR is particularly agressive, but so is Orange at pushing those.

More concern trolling.

1) iOS has never had much share in Europe outside of the UK.  If anything EU marketshare (ignoring the UK at 30-35%) is marginally up.  iOS gained 6.9% in the UK, 3% in Germany and dropped 4% in France according to Kantar numbers between 2014 and 2015 (around March timeframe). 

2) Android flagship phones have always been cheaper after a couple of months.  Certainly by mid cycle flagship Android phones of the same generation is much cheaper than iPhones.  There's no real difference in 2015 vs 2014 and Apple hasn't "hidden" the cost delta, it's just that with Apple you got a slightly less crappy deal from the carriers.

• Reply 85 of 88
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

While that's true the expanded time gave many people that couldn't get a preorder in before the chance to get one in now.

Nah, the extended pre-ordering allows folks to not stand in line which was fun the first time but exceedingly tedious thereafter.

As folks got more and more comfortable with Amazon, the thought of having a small $500 item shipped to your doorstep got less and less scary.

• Reply 86 of 88
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Gotta agree with @nht, for someone claiming to want to have an "intellectual" discussion, you sure trot out the typical concern troll posts (I guess in your view only looking at the negative is being intellectual).  

Apple has the fewest "leavers" of the ecosystem, so their installed base continues to grow YoY.  Android for the last 4 years has had good phones in the higher end, but have failed to impact Apple's iPhone growth.  If the iPhone 6 was perceived to bring in a lot of "switchers" and new users (as data showed), then with all of the improvements this year the 6s will continue this trend.  Expect less than half of the iPhone installed base as upgraded to a "6 model", so this is likely to happen a lot this year.

• Reply 87 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Now analysts are saying 3-4 MM are China just so they can say yoy is flat in other launch countries. Analysts, always trying to turn an Apple positive into a negative.