Second-gen Apple Watch likely to wait until mid- to late 2016 - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    sog35 wrote: »
    I'd rather charge a watch every day.
    Who the heck can remember if they charge Mon/Wed/Fri/Sun, ect.

Just charge everyday just like the phone.
    I charge my 6+ every 2 days. I want my watch with the same frequency/s
  • Reply 22 of 70
    pmz wrote: »
    Having worn the 42mm model for months now, I can safely say I'm very much interested in a larger model. Perhaps 48mm.

Compared to other "big watches that men wear" the 42mm is still rather small.

Yeah, I could use a little bigger screen, too. I can't believe I even briefly considered the 38mm. I really don't think that would have been big enough for me. And that's not taking into account the battery doesn't last quite as long as the 42mm.

I don't really care if my watch isn't as bulky as "other men's," if that is the popular thing now. Just a bigger screen would be nice.
  • Reply 23 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Sometimes I forget to take a charger with me. 

That is not the watch's fault.

• Reply 24 of 70
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    pmz wrote: »
    Having worn the 42mm model for months now, I can safely say I'm very much interested in a larger model. Perhaps 48mm.

Compared to other "big watches that men wear" the 42mm is still rather small.

That's because round watches are measured across the diameter, which of course is anywhere, but most noticeable across the width of the way it's worn. But Apple measures the watch using the length, meaning top to bottom. The width is much less, because of the rectangular shape.

The "standard" industry size for a round case is 42mm. But we're seeing watches, such as those in the line from Arnold Schwarzenegger which are a full 52mm in size, having some popularity. But as he says, he's got big wrists. I've got small wrists.
  • Reply 25 of 70
    mstone wrote: »
    That is not the watch's fault.

That's not the point. Plenty of people forget their chargers. And if you go somewhere where you can't charge, you're in the same situation.
  • Reply 26 of 70
    Quote:

That's not the point. Plenty of people forget their chargers. And if you go somewhere where you can't charge, you're in the same situation.

Sometimes I forget the entire watch. It is not the end of the world.

• Reply 27 of 70
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    magic_al wrote: »
    I guess it's safe to say the case won't get thinner than the diameter of the crown.
    Hahahahahahaha!!!!
  • Reply 28 of 70
    "The Cowen forecast calls for Apple to ship 18 million Watches by the end of 2015, but at least 45 million in 2016, added analyst Timothy Arcuri."

[B]Just asinine.[/B]
  • Reply 29 of 70
    Hopefully the same size but with a bigger battery to power a gps chip and an altimeter.

touchID on the scroll-wheel might be asking a bit much for a few years.

A camera for FaceTime shouldn't to too hard.

Louder speaker is a must i think.

Some new colours like copper would be cool. see http://www.suunto.com/Global/ProductImages/Essential/suunto-essential-copper-front-1936-negative-800x800pix-01.png?width=570
  • Reply 30 of 70

Sometimes I forget the entire watch. It is not the end of the world.

What? These are nutty posts from you here. Why don't we just not buy anything? Then we don't have to think about forgetting them. I suppose you forget your phone too, and that doesn't bother you either.

I don't see your point.
  • Reply 31 of 70
    So you want to triple battery life and keep the same size?  What type of magic is this?

I said, if possible. Yes, that's a laudable goal, and don't think Apple isn't working on it. The die shrink should give a serious increase in efficiency, assuming that Apple doesn't use most of it for performance. It could also result in a smaller package. It's certainly possible that Apple could work out a slightly bigger battery even with a slightly thinner watch because of the smaller package. If so, it's altogether possible that we could see a two day battery life. But that's only if Apple wants to do that this year. And we don't know if anything we've read here is true. So if they did what I've said, but don't thin the case, we could easily see two days. With some careful use, it could go a weekend. Someone here says that they only need to charge every two days as it is. So it would depend on how you use it.
  • Reply 32 of 70
    that makes ZERO sense.  So you expect phones to last 3 days also?

My 6+ easily lasts two days now. And almost everyone who has one that I've spoken to says the same thing. So is it possible? Of course it is. The biggest desire on these forums is for more battery life. I remember when my first iPhone, the 3G, barely lasted a full day. Often, it was pretty much dead by early to mid evening. That is, by the end of dinner time.

Things have gotten much better, and they will get better still.
  • Reply 33 of 70
    Dudes. A thinner model that displays the time 24-7, and I'm in. It would be funny to see them offer a waterproof model in plastic, like the watches most people wear. Ha ha!
  • Reply 34 of 70
    Quote:

A year would be April. They're talking about mid year, or late year.

Well, it was almost may, so mid year is 1-2 months later, considering how staggered the launch was, for many countries this news means 1 year :-) if this time they don't drag the release along.

• Reply 35 of 70
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

So you want to triple battery life and keep the same size?  What type of magic is this?

moore's law squared?

double chip performance (same performance, 1/2 the power draw) every 18 months (that should be doable)

now  increase battery performance by 50% in the same time frame (moore law doesn't apply to battery chemistry ;-)... 

it would basically be tripled

The other thing that Apple has is they can optimize the code (they control the compiler)

So, it's not magic... just pushing the sciences to the edge of the envelope, and then backing off... just a little.

• Reply 36 of 70
    melgross wrote: »
    A year would be April. They're talking about mid year, or late year.

You're right, April 24th is 6 days shy of bejng Mid-2016, but with how slowly he roll out was is calling it a Mid-2015 product really that egregious? I don't know anyone that received theirs in April — all in May–July — but nearly all those same people receive their iPhone 6S-series this past Friday.
  • Reply 37 of 70
    Quote:

What? These are nutty posts from you here. Why don't we just not buy anything? Then we don't have to think about forgetting them. I suppose you forget your phone too, and that doesn't bother you either.

I don't see your point.

The watch is completely redundant. It is the least important thing I carry.

• Reply 38 of 70
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"The Cowen forecast calls for Apple to ship 18 million Watches by the end of 2015, but at least 45 million in 2016, added analyst Timothy Arcuri."

Just asinine.

Agree.  I think the AW will be a very successful product for Apple (eventually 2nd only behind the iPhone), but it will take a number of years to get there.  I can see 15 million in a full year since introduction (so by end of April 2016), but 45M in 2016 is just crazy.  I don't think the next full year (mid-2016 to mid-2017) would even double that, to 30M.

Still get a mix of reactions to my AW.  Most people when they see it will ask if it is the AW, but many others have no clue and ask what it is.  They seem fascinated when told however.  Everyone asks how I like it, to which I always say I really enjoy it.  A few (tech) people say it is geeky.

A few more h/w features (GPS, sensors), a (configuration/optional) always on watch face, and 3rd party developers will greatly expand the use cases over the next 2-3 years.  Just one example - golfing - today I know people who bought golf watches that have GPS and have some default map data, to provide rudimentary distance-to-pin calculations.  With GPS in an AW (and even carrying the iPhone in your bag which is close enough), you can get a detailed little map, distance to pin, but also through accelerometers get information on your stroke speed.  This will only get better with time.  Apps + GPS will make this a very common means to enhance competitive training for all areas of running, throwing, swinging, etc.

• Reply 39 of 70
    foggyhill wrote: »
    Well, it was almost may, so mid year is 1-2 months later, considering how staggered the launch was, for many countries this news means 1 year :-) if this time they don't drag the release along.

Well, it was April here, and so that's the start point. Normally, Apple releases new products here the same time every year, so April would be a year. But yearly measurements go by the quarter. So it could come out in late June, and it would be in the same quarter. I usually think of it as January through April, then May through August, then September through December as early, mid and late in the year.

But really, it's just how many months between availability. April would be 12 months.
  • Reply 40 of 70

The watch is completely redundant. It is the least important thing I carry.

For you, maybe. But your reply was acting as though it was extrapolating to others. That's not proper. To others, their phone is redundant. How far do you want to take that?

To those of us who find our devices to be important enough so that we want them everywhere, forgetting them, or their chargers, matters a lot. You can't dismiss our needs because your are less.

And since we're human, we do forget chargers occasionally.