Pixar staff gets early chance to test iPad Pro & Apple Pencil

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    larryjwlarryjw Posts: 1,031member
    After years development, jetsam and flotsam of code naturally build up. The challenge of starting from scratch and doing it right "this time" "with what we know now" makes such a port invaluable.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Astropad will support iPad Pro out of the box.  This will let you use the iPad Pro as a Wacom Cintiq replacement with Photoshop etc. on the Mac. 

I am very upset I did not know about this app.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtamesis View Post

It would be nice if they can get a professional 3D modeling app like Cinema 4D or Maya running on it.

Heck, even Blender would be pretty cool!

• Reply 23 of 30
    Quote, "Johnson claimed that the Pro had "perfect palm rejection as far as we were able to see."

That's it, no other comments from the Pixar group? I would have expected a lot longer article full of quotes from the different artists. This doesn't tells much, or does it?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cornchip View Post

I am very upset I did not know about this app.

Heck, even Blender would be pretty cool!

That's probably even less likely. The others are still going to be awfully constrained on polygon count if you want a framerate suitable for realtime interactions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geekmee View Post

"After Pixar was taken over by Disney, he became that company's largest individual shareholder and a member of the board of directors."

Jobs became the largest shareholder of Disney??.... (This was never clear to me?)...Does that mean Laurene Powell has a controlling stake in Disney?...Which owns ESPN?

It's rare for an individual to have a controlling stake in any really large company due to dilution. You should really rethink your approach here. Disney acquired Pixar. Jobs took a certain number of shares in Disney. There is no way they would have issued a significant number of shares issued to Jobs to dilute everyone else's stakes to fewer than 50% of total outstanding shares. His stake was still massive.

• Reply 25 of 30

I like your thinking! The iPad Pro will shine as a mobile companion pro device. Apple isnt interested in replacing your workstation with a tablet, they want you to have a tablet that extends your workstation to the couch, airplane, train or even neighborhood park. I like that idea. In fact, I do that already with my iPad and a Jot Touch and it's great! Next year will be THE year for mobile artists. I have sat for a decade in front of a desk chained to a Cintiq. It's so refreshing to be able to choose a creative environment freely that caters to the type of energy I'm going after when doing a particular assignment for a client. Artists that draw from the environment's vibe will have a field day with this device. Myself among them.

• Reply 26 of 30
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    The Pixar comments are not exactly glowing. They really seem to be following the "if you can't say anything nice..." approach.

"Well, we like the.... uh... um... palm rejection! Yes, the palm rejection is nice."

I still haven't read of anyone reviewing/playing with the pressure sensitivity settings. This is the first thing anyone who uses a Wacom tablet is going to want to know about.
    ireland wrote: »
    iPad Pro looks great. But as with any professional product it'll live or die by what software it offers. Apple should be courting Adobe to bring full PS to iPad Pro. That alone would be huge for this product.

The software will decide if it really is a "Pro" device, rather than just a game and movie player. Pros need to use the actual tools that get the job done for them, not the kinds of things we've seen so far with mobile versions. I use Photoshop 6-12 hrs a day. I use several hundred dollars with of plugins with that Photoshop every day. Whatever I use on a pen based portable has to be capable of doing all of the same things. It has to have CMYK, it has to have adjustment layers, it has to have layer masks, it has to run Topaz, Aurelon and BPelt plugins or otherwise provide their full functionality. It has to allow me to apply our custom colour profiles.

I look at what's available right now for mobile with apps like Procreate and Pixelmator, and I see a good start that needs a LOT more work before they're even remotely ready. Hopefully the iPad Pro is the device that inspires them to start taking things seriously and bring their apps up to speed.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    bsenka wrote: »

The software will decide if it really is a "Pro" device…… Pros need… has to be… It has to have… it has to have… it has to have… it has to run…

You had me, then you lost me. Yeah, I was only four when the Mac was unveiled, but think about the Mac in 1989. That's what the iPad is now. Take a deep breath, everything is going to be OK. :smokey:
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Marvin wrote: »
    The easier route to go would be something that works like Handoff. You'd have a comp in Photoshop on a Mac and need to add a sketch. Having the iPad near the computer would send the current comp wirelessly over to the iPad. You can then sketch on the iPad and changes would be synced back onto the Mac. This can be an image layer sync and the layers on the iPad project wouldn't have to be the same as on the Mac. The Mac project might have 100 layers open and you can just create a single linked layer to the iPad and the iPad can be working with a single layer to save memory and performance. Linking with iCloud or Creative Cloud would be useful too, especially in a business as a freelance or just remote artist could sketch something outside the office, link it with the cloud and people in the business can be using the layer in comps and adding to it with version controls and locking.

Having the full set of plugins and masking features from Adobe apps would be good to have for people who want to only use an iPad without a Mac and to use when mobile but the sales numbers would have to justify the development and support cost. If the pen worked on all iPads it would be more worthwhile adding fuller software support because then you hit a portion of ~70 million per year instead of likely <10 million per year starting at ~$900 with the Pencil and $1067 with keyboard too. Every iPad could use these accessories.

The price is high for a tablet but for graphics artists, it competes with the following 13" touch display Wacom at $999:

http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Cintiq-Touch-Tablet-DTH1300K/dp/B00U2K20H4

If the user experience can rival that then it offers more functionality for the price.

Big software developers will likely bring more and more features to mobile versions of their software over time. Mobile devices aren't going away and they aren't going to revert back to using legacy UIs so they have to keep redesigning parts of their software to work with touch. Modern tablets have only been around for 5 years vs over 30 years for traditional computers and it takes time to assess the demand and rewrite millions of lines of code. Part of the consideration is to do with the audience too. Like with Nintendo, they can put out the platform, developers can put out the software but if the audience that uses the platform isn't interested in that particular software then it won't sell. The iPad audience is primarily a consumer rather than producer audience so if pro apps are to be successful on that platform, they need to get an audience of producers using the platform as one of their main productive platforms. Pencil and keyboard accessories will help with this as well as cloud syncing of files.

+1,000,000
  • Reply 29 of 30
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    cornchip wrote: »
    You had me, then you lost me. Yeah, I was only four when the Mac was unveiled, but think about the Mac in 1989. That's what the iPad is now. Take a deep breath, everything is going to be OK. :smokey:

I think we are on the same page with that. On a previous thread about the iPad Pro/Pencil, I expressed that we likely won't see the full potential of this setup for a few iterations of the product line.