Apple blocks iFixit dev account following fourth-gen Apple TV teardown

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 72
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    msantti wrote: »
    Apple in usual paranoia mode.

    Yes, it was against policy.

    If iFixit waited until the exact day of availability, then no problem.

    Something uber top secret Apple did not want leaking?

    Like no A9 chip?

    Like no 4K capability?
    like you have to stick to the freaking policy that you agreed when you signed up. Violation is violation.
  • Reply 22 of 72
    I wish they could stop selling product to those damn "will it survive being smashed by a tank" article writers. What a waste of material, money, etc. Every time some jackass buys an iPhone explicitly to destroy it, that's one more legit customer that has to wait until stock is replenished. They should track the websites and blacklist the writers of those articles. At least at the beginning of a new product rollout.
  • Reply 23 of 72
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    How could they do such a thing!!! Violated an NDA, and willingly. OMG this is a serious 1st world problem

    What do you expect? It's a first world company and product.
  • Reply 24 of 72
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    How could they do such a thing!!! Violated an NDA, and willingly. OMG this is a serious 1st world problem

    Quite the contrary. It is this kind of disdain for contracts that ultimately leads to IP theft at the other end of the spectrum. Quite a 'third world' problem.
  • Reply 25 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    fallenjt wrote: »
    like you have to stick to the freaking policy that you agreed when you signed up. Violation is violation.

    Yawn.
  • Reply 26 of 72
    iFixit, the organisation that routinely tears down hardware and presents it's findings on it's internet site, were sent early release product?

    Sure, doesn't release them from their contractual obligations... however always takes two to tango... seems to me both sides made an error in judgement in this case.
  • Reply 27 of 72
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I wish they could stop selling product to those damn "will it survive being smashed by a tank" article writers. What a waste of material, money, etc. Every time some jackass buys an iPhone explicitly to destroy it, that's one more legit customer that has to wait until stock is replenished. They should track the websites and blacklist the writers of those articles. At least at the beginning of a new product rollout.

    Why? Apple got the money for the product. Once you buy and own a product, you can do whatever you want with it. It's pretty draconian if they started doing that.
  • Reply 28 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Good news!!

    They could have waited until launch and the information would have been just as valuable, instead they wanted to play the "insider leak" guys.

    What they did was disrespectful. Apple sent them a unit to develop apps for and instead they selfishly tore it down to leak information and for their own profit.
  • Reply 29 of 72
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    jsmythe00 wrote: »
    How could they do such a thing!!! Violated an NDA, and willingly. OMG this is a serious 1st world problem

    People this stupid exist?
  • Reply 30 of 72
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

     
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by radster360 View Post



    I am a bit disappointed as iFixit was wrong in their action and it is the risk they took (I would have thought they are much smarter than this). Though I do enjoy iFixit work as it has helped me a lot when I am fixing and upgrading my Mac products. I hope they sort this out with Apple.




    Apple doesn't need them or their app. I hope they are permanently banned from the App Store.



    Apple users who fix and modify Apple's devices can certainly benefit from iFixit.  ;)

    But iFixit;  that was very naughty of you to release info on an unreleased product.  :no:

  • Reply 31 of 72
    sirlance99 wrote: »
    dysamoria wrote: »
    I wish they could stop selling product to those damn "will it survive being smashed by a tank" article writers. What a waste of material, money, etc. Every time some jackass buys an iPhone explicitly to destroy it, that's one more legit customer that has to wait until stock is replenished. They should track the websites and blacklist the writers of those articles. At least at the beginning of a new product rollout.

    Why? Apple got the money for the product. Once you buy and own a product, you can do whatever you want with it. It's pretty draconian if they started doing that.

    I thought I read that Apple only charged the developers $1.
  • Reply 32 of 72
    They got off easy. In some localities, the consequences of violating an NDA can be more... serious.
    Buat a deal, face the wheel:)
    http://madmax.wikia.com/wiki/Bust_a_deal,_face_the_wheel
  • Reply 33 of 72
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Lord Amhran View Post



    Actually what they said was "We weighed the risks, blithely tossed those risks over our shoulder, and tore down the Apple TV anyway,"



    So they knowingly violated a contract and got the punishment they deserved.



    They should also be sued for the destruction of Apple hardware.

  • Reply 34 of 72
    lxglxg Posts: 19member
    Why risk it for an Apple TV? Obviously, could have waited until the device hit shelves. To be honest, i have no interest in Apple TV tear down. So it was definitely a bad call. And bc of this shady attitude don't plan to use their services or website:
  • Reply 35 of 72
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

     

    What were Apple thinking iFixit would do with the unit in the first place?


    I don't think Apple has telepaths on the payroll. The situation is simple - iFixit signed the "deal" (by enabling dev's account). Apple chose devs to sent TVs to. iFixit willingly violated the terms. Apple got angry and reacted since the terms were violated.

    I don't think Apple needs to babysit anyone or "predict" what will happen if the terms are violated. But by NOT acting they would have demonstrated that those terms are an empty threat. Hence, there was no other way in which Apple could resolve the issue.

  • Reply 36 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post



    Apple in usual paranoia mode.



    Yes, it was against policy.



    If iFixit waited until the exact day of availability, then no problem.



    Something uber top secret Apple did not want leaking?



    Like no A9 chip?



    Like no 4K capability?

     

    So, knowing EXACTLY what Apple already told us is a secret.... No A9 and 4K chip... Do know know what you're talking about!

  • Reply 37 of 72
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by msantti View Post





    Yawn.



     

    You'd be the first I sued till your in the poorhouse, if you broke a NDA with my company.

  • Reply 38 of 72

    Since this was a calculated for profit violation, Apple should sue them.

  • Reply 39 of 72
    What were Apple thinking? Ifixit take stuffs part, It's what they do, why did Apple expect anything different?
  • Reply 40 of 72
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member

    An NDA is an NDA. I can't feel sorry for iFixit at all. They should have waited til the first day of the AppleTV going on sale to the public to release the teardown.

Sign In or Register to comment.