Apple blocks iFixit dev account following fourth-gen Apple TV teardown

Comments

• Reply 41 of 72

They only paid $1 for the AppleTV. In other words, Apple gave it away nearly free for developers to write apps for it, not destroy it.

• Reply 42 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    foggyhill wrote: »

I like Apple. Got a most recent iMac, 2 brand new iPhones. A 3rd gen Apple TV and considering an iPad Pro.

But, I don't kiss Apples butt at every turn.

Yes, a crapping idiot like you, claiming Apple is hiding not using the A9! when they already said they didn't, would yawn!

You'd be the first I sued till your in the poorhouse, if you broke a NDA with my company.
  • Reply 43 of 72

iFixit make a clear mistake. For that, I don't approve of their actions. It's a shame, because they had built up much respect. That's been tarnished for me now.

• Reply 44 of 72
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    foggyhill wrote: »
    So, knowing EXACTLY what Apple already told us is a secret.... No A9 and 4K chip... Do know know what you're talking about!

I was just pointing out the weaknesses of the new Apple TV.

I like it but not worth all the hush hush hardware wise.
  • Reply 45 of 72
    Oh no! You Apple fanboys are so upset about the parts of an idevice being exposed. I have an iPhone 6 so don't say I'm a fandroid haha
  • Reply 46 of 72
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Why? Apple got the money for the product. Once you buy and own a product, you can do whatever you want with it. It's pretty draconian if they started doing that.

Right. Tell that to Microsoft when it bricks your X-Box One when you try to play unauthorized software on it. Somethings you buy with no restrictions, others you buy with restrictions. Developers get the hardware at reduced prices and early in exchange for certain conditions.

If I were Apple I'd consider suing iFixit for any money it made in terms of online hits. After all the money was made through a breach of contract.

• Reply 47 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

They willingly and knowingly decided to break the NDA and now they must live with the consequences of their actions.

Was it really worth it though to sever their relationship with Apple over one little product like an Apple TV?

What about all of the future products that they will miss out on now? Apple should never, ever grant them access to any products again.

Anyway, I don't really care. That's their problem.:smokey: 

• Reply 48 of 72
    Developers were given the chance to get AppleTV early, so that they could work with tvOS and have more apps ready by launch time.
    Not all developers. A small select group was seeded with pre release hardware. I'm not excusing them, they still breached a contract and Apple could sue them according to the terms of the NDA. But giving them early access was a dumb choice on Apple's part.
  • Reply 49 of 72
    Developers were given the chance to get AppleTV early, so that they could work with tvOS and have more apps ready by launch time.
    Not all developers. A small select group was seeded with pre release hardware. I'm not excusing them, they still breached a contract and Apple could sue them according to the terms of the NDA. But giving them early access was a dumb choice on Apple's part.

ALL developers. Period. Until they ran out, which happened in less than 24 hours (I was a day late checking my email box that day, and when I clicked on a link in the email to register, I was told they were all gone; and I can assure you I am not part of some 'small slelect group').

Also, I had to pay full price (not $1 as some uninformed person mentioned in another post).
  • Reply 50 of 72
    Looks like they got exactly what they expected.
    I've used iFixit videos in the past... They were wrong to accept the ATV and then violate the NDA. I think I'll look elsewhere for my videos in the future.

Man up and do what you agree to do!... Doing what is right is often the harder choice and some people/organizations just can't resist.
  • Reply 51 of 72
    Never had an NDA with Apple; but, had 'em with other firms you're likely familiar with. Never silly enough, never considered that self-importance trumps explicit confidence.

Always had time-delimited arrangements, though - allowing me to contribute once any info embargo ended. Always made sense and allowed 1st-person analysis when it was legit.
  • Reply 52 of 72
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Also, I had to pay full price (not $1 as some uninformed person mentioned in another post).

That's what I read also on multiple sites. So if that's not the case, then many sites reported that wrongly.

• Reply 53 of 72
    Originally Posted by jsmythe00 View Post

How could they do such a thing!!! Violated an NDA, and willingly. OMG this is a serious 1st world problem

Your point is what.

• Reply 54 of 72
    iFixit got just what they wanted. Publicity. I am kind of surprised Apple sent them a review unit in the first place. Usually they camp out in Australia to be the first to purchase the goods to then tear them apart.
  • Reply 55 of 72
    I absolutely love iFixit - we need more sites like that, so we can keep all those technical products in good condition for much longer. We throw away far too much, and repairing stuff helps to avoid that.

But this was stupid. I hope they have the courage to admit that they were wrong; apologise and review their internal decision making procedures.
  • Reply 56 of 72

The NDA was not signed in good faith by iFixit.

• Reply 57 of 72
    queuequeue Posts: 28member
    The message iFixit is sending is they can't be trusted. I don't think it's wise.
  • Reply 58 of 72
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Why? Apple got the money for the product. Once you buy and own a product, you can do whatever you want with it. It's pretty draconian if they started doing that.

That doesn't apply to anything with software in it, which is everything. You can never own software. Even open source licensing transfers no ownership to you. It's "pretty draconian."

• Reply 59 of 72

Excellent now other smaller companies like ours can profit from this ban :) Yupe Evil! Respect for Apple

• Reply 60 of 72
    jensonbjensonb Posts: 532member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ScartArt View Post

What were Apple thinking iFixit would do with the unit in the first place? Of all the developers Apple could have sent it to, iFixit must be one of the least deserving.

iFixit's videos are pretty popular, I can see why Apple would have been satisfied with the idea they were going to make an App to easily allow people to watch their teardowns on.

It's a shame iFixit then went and jumped the gun like this. I was surprised when I saw they'd done it - not because they had one, just because I assumed it wouldn't be permitted. Lo and behold...