Apple adds former Boeing CFO James Bell to its board of directors

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2015
Apple on Thursday announced a new addition to its board of directors: former chief financial officer and interim CEO of The Boeing Company.

Via Wikipedia.

Bell spent 38 years at Boeing, where he also oversaw Boeing Capital Corporation and Boeing Shared Services. He served as the airplane manufacturer's interim CEO in 2005.

"James brings a wealth of global, financial and industrial experience from his successful career at Boeing as corporate president and CFO," said Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook. "I am thrilled to welcome him to Apple's board of directors and I look forward to working with him."

Bell is also a member of the boards of JP Morgan Chase, Dow Chemical Company, and CDW. He's a Trustee of Chicago's Rush University Medical Center, and has worked with New Leaders for New Schools to help develop talented teachers and principals.

"I am an avid user of Apple products and have a tremendous respect for the company's ability to innovate," Bell said. "I am delighted to join the Apple board and look forward to contributing to its continued success in any way I can."

The former Boeing executive attended California State University, Los Angeles, where he earned a bachelor's degree in accounting.

"We look for outstanding individuals to strengthen our board's breadth of talent and depth of knowledge, and we are very happy to have identified a fantastic person in James Bell," said Art Levinson, chairman of the Apple Board of directors. "I'm confident that he will make many important contributions to Apple."

Former Apple board member Mickey Drexler left the company in March, six months after Bill Campbell ended his 17-year tenure on the board.

As Apple continues to find tremendous financial success, investors in the company have placed overwhelming confidence in its board of directors, reelecting them with 95 percent support at this year's annual shareholder meeting.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 30
    brobcbrobc Posts: 8member
    Fire Al Gore!!! What expertise does he bring to Apple's board? How to scam people by selling imaginary green energy credits? Get him out of there!
  • Reply 2 of 30

Glad Drexler will be gone. I have no idea what some (fading) clothing retailer had to do with Apple (and no, his retail aesthetic has nothing to do with it, since J Crew stores are an incomprehensible mess, with poor product displays; at least, in the men's section).

Boeing is a superbly managed company, and Bell did an outstanding job there. He is a terrific addition.

I hope Al Gore, Andrea Jung and Art Levinson will be the next ones to be jettisoned.

• Reply 3 of 30
    Glad Drexler will be gone. I have no idea what some (fading) clothing retailer had to do with Apple (and no, his retail aesthetic has nothing to do with it, since J Crew stores are an incomprehensible mess, with poor product displays; at least, in the men's section).

Boeing is a superbly managed company, and Bell did an outstanding job there. He is a terrific addition.

I hope Al Gore, Andrea Jung and Art Levinson will be the next ones to be jettisoned.

Didn't Levinson leak inside information to the press previously? I seem to recall his connection to something that was a bad leak for Apple.

I did find this: http://business.time.com/2013/09/18/googles-calico-could-pose-a-conflict-for-apple-chairman-arthur-levinson/
  • Reply 4 of 30
    Also, the stock is getting pummeled again this morning. Looking like AAPL could be headed to $103 or $100.
  • Reply 5 of 30
    This is very interesting because...

1. Apple acquired Coherent Navigations this year.
    2. Coherent Navigation was developing a commercial high-precision navigation service that leverages the Iridium satellite network. (iGPS)
    3. Boeing had been leading the development of proprietary iGPS with Coherent Navigations.

Could we have pilot-less self-flying planes/cars in the near future? (A la Jetsons)
    [VIDEO]
    [IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63537/width/350/height/700[/IMG][IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/63536/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

With GPS accuracy to the centimeter with Coherent Navigations Iridium, a self flying plane would be much easier to do then a self driving car.

Time will tell.
  • Reply 6 of 30
    I hope this isn't just to make the board more multicultural
  • Reply 7 of 30
    1. The stock price makes me sick...
    2. Boeing expertise = Apple Plane!
  • Reply 8 of 30

I guess this is more for general engineering expertise, I doubt we are getting a plane any time soon :) Though lets not rule it out for the future!

Sounds like a good addition.

• Reply 9 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by brobc View Post

Fire Al Gore!!! What expertise does he bring to Apple's board? How to scam people by selling imaginary green energy credits? Get him out of there!

"Imaginary green energy credits"?

Such sad ignorance on display.... there ought to be a law against such obvious stupidity...

Learn about contract-for-differences, which is what Apple, Google, and dozens of other US (and EU) companies are doing.

• Reply 10 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

I hope this isn't just to make the board more multicultural

I did not realize that blacks in the US were from a different culture... who knew...:rolleyes:

• Reply 11 of 30
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

I did not realize that blacks in the US were from a different culture... who knew...:rolleyes:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but multicultural applies to racial groups. 

• Reply 12 of 30
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    Apple is getting into the autonomous, electric airplane business¡
  • Reply 13 of 30

Did anyone else notice that this guy is basically an accountant?

BS in Accounting and was in charge of Capital services (financing).

Not an aeronautical engineer... no flying electric cars yet.

• Reply 14 of 30
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Former CFO, eh? Another board member to help count all those beans.
  • Reply 15 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Boltsfan17 View Post

Not sure if you are being sarcastic, but multicultural applies to racial groups. 

Of course I am being sarcastic.

Perhaps you can provide a thoughtful explanation what 'culture' Mr. Bell, born and brought up in the US, belongs to, as well as explain the attributes of his 'culture', and how that is 'multiculturalism' in Apple's board? Please don't bother with providing some random links. Explain.

I'll wait.

(While you're at it, you may also wish to expound on what you think @monstrosity meant).

• Reply 16 of 30
    Originally Posted by Slprescott View Post

2. Boeing expertise = Apple Plane!

BREAKING: Apple Plane to be announced in 2018.

BREAKING: Apple Plane manufacturing problems delaying launch.

BREAKING: Apple Plane rollout pushed to 2020; AAPL hammered in after hours.

BREAKING: Elon Musk joins Apple Board

BREAKING: Space Station Jobs to be announced in 2025.

BREAKING: Space Station Jobs manufacturing problems delaying launch.

BREAKING: Space Station Jobs rollout pushed to 2030; AAPL hammered in after hours.

• Reply 17 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Of course I am being sarcastic.

Perhaps you can provide a thoughtful explanation what 'culture' Mr. Bell, born and brought up in the US, belongs to, as well as explain the attributes of his 'culture', and how that is 'multiculturalism' in Apple's board? Please don't bother with providing some random links. Explain.

I'll wait.

(While you're at it, you may also wish to expound on what you think @monstrosity meant).

multicultural |m?lt??k?lt?(?)r(?)ladjectiverelating to or containing several cultural or ethnic groups within a society

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a socially defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience.

• Reply 18 of 30
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Boeing?  BOEING?  Are you kidding me?  <SMH>

• Reply 19 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brobc View Post

Political connections.

• Reply 20 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

multicultural |m?lt??k?lt?(?)r(?)ladjectiverelating to or containing several cultural or ethnic groups within a society

An ethnic group or ethnicity is a socially defined category of people who identify with each other based on common ancestral, social, cultural or national experience.

Stupid definition. I could give you five others. Here, let me repost my question from above:

I'll wait.