YouTube for iOS gets 'material design' makeover, new editing tools in update

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
Months after Google rolled out a redesigned YouTube app for Android, the Internet search giant released a similarly revamped version for iOS on Monday with new gesture controls, video editing tools and more.

The new YouTube app sports a completely redesigned interface built with Google's "material design" aesthetic, matching the firm's most recent iOS offerings like Google Maps. Most apparent to users will be liberal use of bold colors, neatly integrated contextual menu buttons and a layered UI divided into three sections: Home, Subscriptions and Account.

Also part of material design are newly integrated gesture controls first introduced with apps like Chrome. In the case of YouTube, swipe gestures allow users to navigate between sections and menu items.

Included in today's update are a set of in-app video editing tools, pushing users toward a one-app film creation solution.

YouTube for iOS is a free 40.7MB download from the iOS App Store. The new UI is currently rolling out and may not be immediately available for all users.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I deleted their terrible app and only use the web version when necessary.

• Reply 2 of 23

Their app is bad, Facebook's is worse.

This update is hideous.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    I don't watch youtube unless it's embedded in the website. So don't care for it.
  • Reply 4 of 23
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    This makes me realize Apple needs to launch a rival to YouTube. Then I could truly be Giggle free.
  • Reply 5 of 23
    abbyzabbyz Posts: 2member

That's literally impossible at this point. YouTube has far too much content and loyal subscribers to be topped. 

Many websites like Dailymotion have tried and failed. The only platform comparable to YouTube is Facebook video and they're used for a different purpose. 

• Reply 6 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Their app is bad, Facebook's is worse.

This update is hideous.

This is sitting in my update queue on my iPhone. If it's anything like the update I don't want it. They just ruined the app.
  • Reply 7 of 23
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

I wonder what Fandroids would say if Apple released an Apple Music app for Android and it followed all of iOS's design cues. Of course Google is doing this because they know Apple would never reject one of their apps for not following Apple's HIG.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    Nasty. "Material design" (in which they take their design back in time to iOS 1 days, looks like crap.

This app now looks like crapp.

Google stuff always looks kinda dumb. Like an art student without the gift for it is designing.

But at least they were clean and not so cluttered in their apps. This... It's just crap.

Please keep your crapp design off my devices.

If your making for Apple, stick to iOS design guidelines.

Don't jar me when I open your app from my feng shui user interface or browser just to slap me in the face with your crap "custom" paint job from the 1990's.

Why? Because it's crap. Stop putting crap on my devices.

Because it's crap.
  • Reply 9 of 23
    rogifan wrote: »
    I wonder what Fandroids would say if Apple released an Apple Music app for Android and it followed all of iOS's design cues. Of course Google is doing this because they know Apple would never reject one of their apps for not following Apple's HIG.

The difference is that people WANT Apple design on their stuff because it's nice.

Nobody buys android devices or uses Google apps and praises them for style.

Because their style is crap. Except when their partners copy Apple.
  • Reply 10 of 23
    Accidentally touching the image opens the app in the App Store. Not what I wanted to do.

Any chance Google will support 3D Touch peek and pop?
  • Reply 11 of 23
    9secondko wrote: »
    Nasty. "Material design" (in which they take their design back in time to iOS 1 days, looks like crap.

This app now looks like crapp.

Google stuff always looks kinda dumb. Like an art student without the gift for it is designing.

But at least they were clean and not so cluttered in their apps. This... It's just crap.

Please keep your crapp design off my devices.

If your making for Apple, stick to iOS design guidelines.

Don't jar me when I open your app from my feng shui user interface or browser just to slap me in the face with your crap "custom" paint job from the 1990's.

Why? Because it's crap. Stop putting crap on my devices.

Because it's crap.

Microsoft calls their version of this "Modern UI"
  • Reply 12 of 23
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

That is some ugly shite, right there...

• Reply 13 of 23
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    rogifan wrote: »

We already know what they would say because we saw countless articles about the comments and ratings of their "Move to iOS" app on the Google Play Store.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    I hate any app that looks alien to the iOS platform.
  • Reply 15 of 23
    I just updated, but stll dont see this ugly red design.
  • Reply 16 of 23
    Huge red bar.... bad...
  • Reply 17 of 23
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    I wish someone make an Youtube App that follow Apple HIG.
  • Reply 18 of 23
    ksec wrote: »
    I wish someone make an Youtube App that follow Apple HIG.

I wish Apple would follow their own HIG. The Music app is such a mess it's practically criminal.
  • Reply 19 of 23
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    That's strange. I've had the new Youtube app for a few weeks now. Can't remember exactly when it auto downloaded to my phone, but certainly a while before the new iPhones came out as its on my iPhone 6.

I wonder if it's being deployed staggered across different countries (I'm in the UK)?

I remember thinking at the time it was much harder to navigate and the UI was/is confusing and ugly.
  • Reply 20 of 23

I don't care about the new look for the YouTube app, it doesn't offend me. The new look doesn't really impress me either.

What does offend me is that the app is now less useful than before for simply browsing content from the channels I have subscribed to and my history.

I use YouTube to watch and listen to a lot of content and this update is a step backwards in usability in my opinion.

Hope they bring back that left hand slide over menu that contained all of the channels and options like history, that was a useful interface.