Apple brings Force Touch to the desktop with new $129 Magic Trackpad 2

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    Quote:

Originally Posted by spheric View Post

The tech specs actually state "Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer", which your machine most definitely is not. Your 2009 iMac does NOT have Bluetooth 4.0 hardware.

Regardless of what version of the driver OS X ships with, your iMac has Bluetooth 2.1+EDR. It does not support Bluetooth 4.0.

I agree with you, BUT as I noted the tech at Apple checked and as long as the iMac is running Apple's Bluetooth software above 4.0 then it will work.   As I said I have a 2009 iMac and am running Apple Bluetooth Software Version: 4.3 (Yosemite) and it paired, pointed and highlighted but wasn't fully recognized.  Now I have upgraded to El Capitan and I have version 4.4.014 16320 and the Trackpad 2 is working fine.  The hardware of course remains the same Bluetooth 2.1+EDR.

So in summary:

1)   Apple released Force Touch under Yosemite (updated MacBook this year), but when they released the updated Trackpad 2 for both new and older Macs it doesn't work under Yosemite only under El Capitan

2)   Specs for Trackpad 2 clearly state it requires "Bluetooth 4.0-enabled Mac computer", but it will work as long as the Apple Bluetooth Software is v4.0 and above (but really it only work if it is v4.4 running El Capitan)

I hope that you can see that this is a very confusing situation and Apple should clarify this better.

• Reply 62 of 63
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member

I agree. That IS a bit of a mess.