Bank website accidentally teases upcoming Apple Pay launch in Canada

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2015
One year after it debuted in the U.S., Apple Pay NFC-based mobile payments may finally be on the verge of launching in Canada, a leak by local bank TD Canada Trust hinted on Tuesday.

A footer on the bank's website briefly offered a link to an Apple Pay page, according to iPhone in Canada. Though now pulled, the page explained that TD customers would be able to add personal credit and access cards to Apple's service. It noted that individual transactions would be limited to $100, "subject to change."

TD's U.S. subsidiary, TD Bank, launched Apple Pay support in December 2014, which would make its parent company likely to be among the first Canadian backers.

An expansion of Apple Pay to Canada has been rumored for sometime. Reports have typically pointed toward November.

Neither Apple nor TD have offered a timetable, but the creation of promotional materials may suggest that TD has entered an agreement and is gearing up to launch support in the near future. Apple Canada has also reportedly registered applepay.ca.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 56

Well it's about time!

I suspect CIBC/PCF will be forced to follow suit shortly.

• Reply 2 of 56
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Maury Markowitz View Post

Well it's about time!

I suspect CIBC/PCF will be forced to follow suit shortly.

How's the NFC terminal situation in Canada? Retailers having the equipment would be the other end of the necessary equation. Is it mostly tapping or dipping? I just went to a car repair place and had my first chip card dipping experience: seemed to take a very long time and I didn't like it.

• Reply 3 of 56
    jfc1138 wrote: »

How's the NFC terminal situation in Canada? Retailers having the equipment would be the other end of the necessary equation. Is it mostly tapping or dipping? I just went to a car repair place and had my first chip card dipping experience: seemed to take a very long time and I didn't like it.

Canada has had contactless and chip-enabled terminals for years. First there was MasterCard PayPass, then Visa PayWave, then Interac Flash. That's why Apple Pay isn't that big a deal in Canada. The US has been slooow as molasses, actually still using swipe-and-signature in most retail establishments.
  • Reply 4 of 56
    solipsismysolipsismy Posts: 5,099member
    jspence444 wrote: »
    Canada has had contactless and chip-enabled terminals for years. […] That's why Apple Pay isn't that big a deal in Canada.

Why are there still so many stupid comments and misconceptions about Apple Pay when it's been available for a year now. I kind of understand why there were so many idiotic comments about how cards with chips in them are better, or how Google Wallet is the same as Apple Pay, but it's been a fucking year already. Those people should know by now how Apple Pay differs and why it's a big deal to the future of secure mobile payments.
  • Reply 5 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

One thing I have noticed with Apple Pay is that the session can time out pretty quickly, so if you are in the grocery checkout and you initiate Apple Pay a few minutes before the clerk finishes ringing up your items, Apple Pay will have timed out and you will have to reinitiate the payment. With a traditional credit card transaction that never happened.

• Reply 6 of 56
    Tapping is absolutely everywhere. […] This is why a lot of Canadians were surprised that Canada wasn't one of the first countries

And? What the fuçk does tapping a physical card have to do with getting the banks in Canada to agree to Apple's back-end design and implantation for Apple Pay?
  • Reply 7 of 56
    solipsismy wrote: »
    Why are there still so many stupid comments and misconceptions about Apple Pay when it's been available for a year now. I kind of understand why there were so many idiotic comments about how cards with chips in them are better, or how Google Wallet is the same as Apple Pay, but it's been a fucking year already. Those people should know by now how Apple Pay differs and why it's a big deal to the future of secure mobile payments.

Of course it's a big deal to US users who have been and continue to use old magstripe technology. And it's a step forward for convenience, security, and privacy for users in Canada but not as big a development compared with the US.
  • Reply 8 of 56
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jspence444 View Post

The US has been slooow as molasses, actually still using swipe-and-signature in most retail establishments.

What is the general perception of the retail transition to chip readers? The deadline was Oct 1 I think. I left the US a couple weeks before that but up to that point I had not seen any new readers in the establishments that I frequented.

• Reply 9 of 56

Woot. TD Canada Trust is my bank, so I'm glad to see it's coming soon.

Granted, tapping my card is pretty quick & easy already. But being able to tap my iPhone instead and enjoy increased privacy is a plus.

• Reply 10 of 56
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Canada has had contactless and chip-enabled terminals for years. First there was MasterCard PayPass, then Visa PayWave, then Interac Flash. That's why Apple Pay isn't that big a deal in Canada. The US has been slooow as molasses, actually still using swipe-and-signature in most retail establishments.

You don't think it is a big deal? Yes, we have been chipping and tapping but there is more to it than that. I think it will be a pretty big deal. The uptake will be slow as it seems to be everywhere, in spite of the fact that the terminals are ready. I bank with RBC and I wouldn't be surprised if they drag their heels. Their CEO was speaking out against ?pay because he felt it would detract from the direct connection with the customer a bank card affords the bank.
  • Reply 11 of 56
    Please use the product (ApplePay) prior to making comments about it. I have used cash, credit card, credit card with chip, add funds to an app and then scan barcode and ApplePay. ApplePay is the most secure (FACT) and based on my personal user experience of most methods it is by far the easiest and convenient to use.
  • Reply 12 of 56
    paxman wrote: »
    You don't think it is a big deal? Yes, we have been chipping and tapping but there is more to it than that. I think it will be a pretty big deal. The uptake will be slow as it seems to be everywhere, in spite of the fact that the terminals are ready. I bank with RBC and I wouldn't be surprised if they drag their heels. Their CEO was speaking out against ?pay because he felt it would detract from the direct connection with the customer a bank card affords the bank.

Agreed, I think it's positive for the consumer to have a more distanced relationship with the bank.

My point was simply that it's not as groundbreaking a change in Canada as it is in the US.
  • Reply 13 of 56
    LOL. Tons of the terminals (where you tap a physical card) in Canada are ready for Apple Pay.

Most people could surmise that's what I was saying without replying like a child. 

Jesus fucking Christ! It doesn't matter if Canada has 100% saturation of NFC-capable payment systems in retailers if there are NO banks in Canada that are willing to support Apple Pay. How hard is it to understand that the banks have to come first?
  • Reply 14 of 56
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Why is everyone getting so defensive about ?pay?

AFAICT, everyone here from Canada is excited about it and wants to use it.  They're just talking about all the chip and tap POS terminals here in Canada because it means almost every retailer is ready to handle ?pay immediately when it launches.  Rather than having to wait for POS systems to be upgraded like many places in the US.  They're not saying that they'll forgo using ?pay because we already have chip and tap.

And yes @SolipsismY, we all understand that the banks need to support it.  Which is why we've been so frustrated -- the stores are all ready but the banks are dragging their feet.  However, now that TD will have it, it's almost certain the other banks will have it very shortly.  Everything seems to happen hive-mind style up here.  For example, almost as soon as Tangerine had photo deposit for cheques, all the major banks had it.

• Reply 15 of 56
    And yes <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/208536/SolipsismY" style="display:inline-block;">@SolipsismY</a>
    , we all understand that the banks need to support it.  Which is why we've been so frustrated -- the stores are all ready but the banks are dragging their feet.  However, now that TD will have it, it's almost certain the other banks will have it very shortly.  Everything seems to happen hive-mind style up here.  For example, almost as soon as Tangerine had photo deposit for cheques, all the major banks had it.

1) If one understands that then one shouldn't make a facile argument about Apple Pay being a perfect fit in a country with no support from the banks.

2) It's been one fucking year since it was announced. Shit takes time. Give it a few years before you start complaining about an fledgling service that requires the participation and back-end rejiggering from banks, of all things.
  • Reply 16 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

What is the general perception of the retail transition to chip readers? The deadline was Oct 1 I think. I left the US a couple weeks before that but up to that point I had not seen any new readers in the establishments that I frequented.

Merchants are just eating the fraud. Online retailers had to do that anyway. Wal-Mart, Target and Home Depot switched months before the deadline, being stores with stuff worth reselling.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

I just went to a car repair place and had my first chip card dipping experience: seemed to take a very long time and I didn't like it.

What do you expect from a standard by Europeans made in 1995? It poorly solves their problems that no longer exist (offline transactions, which have known security flaws), and fails to solve problems that have come up (Internet use, stolen credit card numbers). But who cares, Europe is by default better than the US.

• Reply 17 of 56

Who said anything about banks not needing to support it first? <span style="line-height:1.4em;">Please enlighten me.</span>

You did, hence my quoting of your stupid comment that failed to mention anything about financial institutions, and placed your entire argument on "tapping is absolutely everywhere."
  • Reply 18 of 56
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismY View Post

1) If one understands that then one shouldn't make a facile argument about Apple Pay being a perfect fit in a country with no support from the banks.

2) It's been one fucking year since it was announced. Shit takes time. Give it a few years before you start complaining about an fledgling service that requires the participation and back-end rejiggering from banks, of all things.

1) It's a perfect fit when the hardest part (getting merchants to update their terminals) has already been done for most.

2) We shouldn't have to wait a couple years. At the pace that Apple has been adding banks in the US (for example), it's pretty clear the delays are not any sort of technical issues, but rather getting the banks off their asses to make the decision to support Apple Pay (and by default, Samsung Pay which apparently uses the same EMVco standard).

If anything, banks here should have more incentive to support Apple Pay simply because the user engagement would be much higher (due to there being more terminals).

• Reply 19 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member

Still being asked for a PIN when I try to use Apple Pay with my debit card at my local Rite Aid. Not sure if it's the hardware or the employee training. Annoying either way. Haven't been able to get an answer from them.

• Reply 20 of 56
    Ellalalalala .....Finallyy The Apple Pay has come to Canada"