Adobe identifies major Flash Player vulnerability, says exploit being used in real-world attacks

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Or Adobe will get Flash to export to HTML5 really well, which would be a great outcome.

Maybe they’ll just bring back Wallaby, the alpha of which I still have on my computer.

• Reply 22 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Thankfully, Flash is not on mobile at ALL, which will keep pushing it towards the end.

I thought I read somewhere that it is (sort of) on mobile, but it's sandboxed inside apps (mostly games) that were developed with Flash.

• Reply 23 of 46
    cm477cm477 Posts: 99member

I don't have Flash installed on my desktop, but I use Chrome when I really need to use flash. Unfortunately, many educational sites still use flash for their content, as does at least one major utility company (Southern California Edison). I can see how certain sites do not have the resources to move away from Flash in the near term, but a major utility has no excuse. 

• Reply 24 of 46
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Good reminder for all to download and uninstall.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    shsfshsf Posts: 302member

Just kill it already, worst effing idea and execution is what flash has been, and a nightmare of security vulnerabilities. 

• Reply 26 of 46
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

I don't have Flash installed on my desktop, but I use Chrome when I really need to use flash. Unfortunately, many educational sites still use flash for their content, as does at least one major utility company (Southern California Edison). I can see how certain sites do not have the resources to move away from Flash in the near term, but a major utility has no excuse. 

Lynda.com uses Flash for their courses. I'm not sure HTML 5 could do what they use Flash for.  It is very complex the way they have integrated the movie, the lesson files, the text, your progress, etc. They should have the resources though to convert it, especially since Linkedin bought them.

They do have an iPad version but for the desktop they still use Flash for some reason.

I've converted all my Flash to HTML 5, surprisingly using Flash CC to do it.

• Reply 27 of 46
    Originally Posted by cm477 View Post

a major utility has no excuse. 

I once had to smack together a setup for someone who wanted to access his bank from his iPad. The bank used Flash only for the login box, because–get this–it recorded the way in which the username and password were typed in. If it deviated from previous methods, they wouldn’t let you in, even if you had both correct, because it assumed “it wasn’t you” because of the different way of typing.

Utter insanity.

• Reply 28 of 46

Wow stick a fork in this steaming pile.  Kill it already adobe. Suckers been in a coma on life support for years now, just let this damn plague of a piece of software die.

• Reply 29 of 46
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

Never missed it. Never used it for as long as iPhone 1. Steve Jobs did the right thing for Apple: no stupid Flash for phone.

• Reply 30 of 46

You mean like the BBC as one example?

I have been nagging them for at least a year to dump this PoS but....

• Reply 31 of 46
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    Friends don't let friends use Flash.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    I uninstalled Flash from my iMac months ago thank God. Yep many websites insists you install it to play video like Directv. Shame. It's staying off my machine.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

These f'ing  s-for-brains. I just installed 19.0.0.207 last night (release day).

I f'ing hate having it installed, and I have it blocked for every site except for the 1 or 2 that I absolutely (begrudgingly) have to use it for.

PLEASE just shoot this thing.

Don't install flash in the system, just keep a copy of crome around for sites that require it (like Hulu)  (chrome has flash imbedded in the app)

• Reply 34 of 46
    Originally Posted by IndyFX View Post

Don't install flash in the system, just keep a copy of crome around for sites that require it (like Hulu)  (chrome has flash imbedded in the app)

So... compromise by just giving your information to Google.

Why not just install it, turn it off, and only tick the on box in Safari when you absolutely need it? I leave ClickToFlash at all times anyway, because it forces MP4 video on sites and it loads in an embedded QuickTime window (right-click “Download” for anything, thanks Mavericks and newer!).

• Reply 35 of 46
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,302member
    I'll gladly abandon Flash when its no longer needed for some of the websites I regularly visit.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

I have finally uninstalled Flash. The only reason it went back originally was because YouTube kept complaining and not playing videos.

• Reply 37 of 46
    Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

...YouTube kept complaining and not playing videos.

ClickToFlash without having Flash installed solves that.

• Reply 38 of 46

ClicktoFlash caused too many problems for me in the past. The easier solution was to have Little Snitch always ask me whenever the Flash plugin wants to access the Net. I only allow for the site I'm visiting and only until I quit the browser.

• Reply 39 of 46
    A lot of you criticizing use of Flash sound like you were born (or planned by parents) around when few of us started IT career (yes some of us are Steve Jobs age and in IT as well).

So perhaps a word of introduction to real world: It is in use and there is a lot of old material that will never get converted.

Face the facts of life before bringing immature criticism. It does not sound smart when you act like non-reasonable Apple pundits.

Direction is there, but you need to adopt real life better.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Originally Posted by maciekskontakt View Post

So perhaps a word of introduction to real world: It is in use and there is a lot of old material that will never get converted.

So a response from the real world: Then that old material will never again be used, costing potential business and thus currency.