Adobe identifies major Flash Player vulnerability, says exploit being used in real-world attacks

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 46
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So... compromise by just giving your information to Google.

Why not just install it, turn it off, and only tick the on box in Safari when you absolutely need it? I leave ClickToFlash at all times anyway, because it forces MP4 video on sites and it loads in an embedded QuickTime window (right-click “Download” for anything, thanks Mavericks and newer!).

I only use it when I need flash, so google knows I use hulu. Not terribly worried about them tracking that (though, given my 'druthers  I would prefer to use just safari)

The problems I had with click to flash is that (at least when I evaluated) your browser still reports flash is installed, many sites then default to flash content rather than using HTML5 (which +95% have because of the iPad prolifiaration). Have been running this way for several years, perhaps I should re-evaluate.

• Reply 42 of 46

If you do use Flash please check out their update released today:

https://helpx.adobe.com/security/products/flash-player/apsb15-27.html

• Reply 43 of 46
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    techlover wrote: »

That was darn fast by Adobe standards wasn't it? Articles were saying it might be a week or more before a fix was available. Instead little more than a day.
  • Reply 44 of 46
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

That was darn fast by Adobe standards wasn't it? Articles were saying it might be a week or more before a fix was available. Instead little more than a day.

Count me in as also being pretty surprised to see a patch so quickly.

• Reply 45 of 46
    indyfxindyfx Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

No doubt they have known about it for weeks (if not months) they just had a ND agreement with whoever discovered it (and the in the wild exploits) so they waited and announced it the day before they had the updated version (patch)

If so, they withheld acknowledging a known exploit that was "in the wild" so they could deliver a patch the day after it was disclosed.

This is not good behavior (no matter if it is MS (typical) Apple, google or adobe) If you are aware that people are being exploited and that there is a simple fix (disabling the flash plugin) and you don't announce shortly after discovery you are in the wrong. It is pretty obvious that adobe did just that.