Apple takes iWork for iCloud out of beta, adds features

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

I worked in IT for 20 years in a variety of positions and departments and only once did I create a pivot table, and never once did I have to connect to an external database. The vast majority of people, more than 80% probably more than 90% have no need for such functionality and can leave features like that to the big suites like Office. It's not a bad thing these apps don't do everything, why should they especially when they are free options that cover 100% of the vast majority of users' needs. For those who need more, it's nice there are options, even on iOS now.

"Free" does not mean worthless.  Linux is free, yet it powers a sizable proportion of the Internet, the granddaddy of all networks (a big task).  OS X and iOS are free, and they also are very capable systems.  iWork is free, yet it can and should be developed into a killer office suite, and should even include FileMaker, since that is also part of the Apple family, and Microsoft includes Access, their own database client, with Office.  Apple has the $$$ to devote resources toward developing iWork and iWork for iCloud into serious contenders in the office productivity space, and just because you don't use PivotTables, doesn't mean that they are not useful to many others.  PivotTables are one example of a feature that should be added to the suite, and there are many others that can be added as well.  iWork is not a toy, and should not be treated as such.

• Reply 22 of 30
    Quote:

Originally Posted by danielsutton View Post

"Free" does not mean worthless.  Linux is free, yet it powers a sizable proportion of the Internet, the granddaddy of all networks (a big task).  OS X and iOS are free, and they also are very capable systems.  iWork is free, yet it can and should be developed into a killer office suite, and should even include FileMaker, since that is also part of the Apple family, and Microsoft includes Access, their own database client, with Office.  Apple has the $$$ to devote resources toward developing iWork and iWork for iCloud into serious contenders in the office productivity space, and just because you don't use PivotTables, doesn't mean that they are not useful to many others.  PivotTables are one example of a feature that should be added to the suite, and there are many others that can be added as well.  iWork is not a toy, and should not be treated as such.

Oh ffs, I never said "free" is worthless<rolls eyes>, quite the opposite, it's people who demand features available in expensive suites who declare iWork to be worthless. In fact you've just called it a toy<wry grin>, and you claim *I* said it's worthless? You've got that bass ackwards, me thinks, what a fucking laugh. Actually, I think it's perfect for my needs, and for the needs of a vast majority of users. Free and worthless, that's a comparison only you are making.

But, you think Apple should cater to the needs of a small % of people who use a certain feature, and then it wouldn't be a toy? Is that it? There are most likely quite a few features that could be added to the software but that doesn't mean they should, simply because they have lots of money. I'm sure Apple considers lots of features, but there are decisions and then there are smart decisions, and adding a feature that is used by almost no one isn't something it appears Apple considers a smart decision (at this time - maybe later, but I'm not holding my breath, but then again I don't give a rat's arse about pivot tables and external databases).

• Reply 23 of 30
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
    I still miss the old styles browser and updating styles using the old method. What also lacks are Automator actions. It used to be possible to create a folder action, converting Pages files into PDFs
  • Reply 24 of 30
    dacloo wrote: »
    It used to be possible to create a folder action, converting Pages files into PDFs

Why not: File - export - Pdf
  • Reply 25 of 30
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

I think the web apps is the reason why the text box linking feature was dropped from the desktop app. They can't figure out how to make that work in a web-based app, so neither version gets it. Makes sense... web browsers just don't have that level of intelligence.... to flow text out of one arbitrary box and into another one. That one feature is what really tarnished my fan status for Apple.

Text box linking exists in the desktop version of Pages. Has for a while now. Not as elegant or as flexible as before but it's there.

• Reply 27 of 30

Text box linking exists in the desktop version of Pages. Has for a while now. Not as elegant or as flexible as before but it's there.

How? Where? Please advise.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

nathan005 wrote: »

Yes yes! How???
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nathan005 View Post

Create two text boxes. Select them then select them.

Format > Shapes > Unite Shapes

Done.

As mentioned, not as elegant. Not nearly as flexible. Text flows from top text box to bottom. Can't reposition once they're united. But it works.

• Reply 30 of 30

Format > Shapes > Unite Shapes

Yeah that's not even close. It just changes the shape of the text box (like typing in a circle)

Linking would allow you to change where text flows on a page. So I want to make a 1/2 page booklet on 2 8.5x11 pages. I need 4 text boxes - text flows from pg1-right to pg2-left to pg2-right to pg1-left, and the boxes don't touch.

Also used in many magazine style layouts.