Microsoft woos Mac owners with $300 Windows 10 'Trade Up' promotion

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 71

This sounds an awful lot like the program at Apple where they will assess the value of your Android or Windows phone at the store and give you a gift card for that amount - likely to buy an iPhone. Not sure if they are still doing that.

Of course the idea of trade-ins are nothing new if you look at other industries like autos.

• Reply 62 of 71
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    If someone were trying to force me into it, I would gladly PAY $300 not to have to migrate from Mac to Windows.
  • Reply 63 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems like Windows 10 came pretty quick. What ever happened to Windows 9? I guess that they just skipped completely over that number. Maybe they were trying to run away from 8 and simply moving to 9 wasn't far enough removed from the nightmare that was 8.

Not that I really pay much attention to Windows releases since I never use Windows, but I think that Windows 8 must have been a huge failure and a big misstep, and that's why MS decided to make the move to Windows 10. 

Windows 9 never existed. 8 was awful and everyone hated it; 8.1 was not much better save the return of the Start button. Now, I may be wrong, but in my own mind, and taking a queue from copycat Samsung, I believe Microsoft used the number 10 because the new Windows was unveiled in September 2014 when just earlier in the same year came Apple's summer announcement of OS X 10.10 Yosemite.

• Reply 64 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I belong to the exclusive and wonderful 10% image

I can't really say that I switched either. I've had Macs since the Mac Plus and Windows since version 1. Sun Sparc in the 1990s then Solaris and finally Red Hat Linux since the very first release. But mostly people consider me a Mac fanatic.

• Reply 65 of 71
    Me. Went from Amiga 500 to LC 630 or something like that, can't quite remember...
    paxman wrote: »
    I belong to the exclusive and wonderful 10% :)
  • Reply 66 of 71

d

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It seems like Windows 10 came pretty quick. What ever happened to Windows 9? I guess that they just skipped completely over that number. Maybe they were trying to run away from 8 and simply moving to 9 wasn't far enough removed from the nightmare that was 8.

Not that I really pay much attention to Windows releases since I never use Windows, but I think that Windows 8 must have been a huge failure and a big misstep, and that's why MS decided to make the move to Windows 10. 

I still think that this whole convergence of Touch with vintage desktop OSes is a terrible idea, and I never wish to see Apple head in that direction. And no, I don't ever want to see Apple make any ridiculous 2 in 1 product that's worse than the 2 product categories that it's attempting to replace. Talk about a downgrade.

You are right, Microsoft skipped 9 because they wanted to put 8 far behind them, since it was such a disaster.  I don't think Microsoft will get all that many people to switch to PCs, since Macs are preferred by many (including myself).  $300 is a paltry sum also, Macs cost many times more than that, and people are not likely to accept such a small amount of money for their hardware.

One thing that Windows has over OS X at this point is performance, it is much snappier.  Opening programs on Windows 10 is speedier, it feels more like Snow Leopard did (the most stable version of OS X to date).  Apple said that performance and usability were two huge focus areas of 10.11 El Capitan, so we will see how much that improves the experience of using the OS.  Ever since OS X moved to a yearly release schedule, quality has slipped, and the number of bugs has increased.  By the time the bugs are brought more under control, a new version is released, and the process repeats itself.  Speed and quality need to be continuous focus areas, otherwise the system will become unusable.

Make no mistake, I appreciate Apple tremendously, I really like the company's ethos of simplicity and ease of use.  I am just offering some constructive criticism to prod Apple to go back to basics, and make stable software, rather than chasing new features without minding quality control.  Happy weekend to all!

• Reply 67 of 71
    Daniel, modern OS X versions are blisteringly snappy on SSDs, not spinning platter drives. Yet Apple persist in shipping a 21.5" iMac with a 5400rpm 2.5" HDD, and the same in the now ancient 2012 MacBook Pro 13" which they still haven't discontinued.
    Use an Air, Retina, or Fusion equiped Mac. The others feel broken, they are that slow in comparison.
  • Reply 68 of 71
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    rogifan wrote: »

You can't compare that LG and MBA. LG has almost no bezel around screen. Why would you NOT want 2cm of bezel around laptop screen?!? What's wrong with you? ;)

But seriously... with so many aluminium, carbon-fibre and magnesium thin and light laptops from Asus, Samsung, LG, Dell, HP, Lenovo... you name it... some comments really are getting old and tired.
  • Reply 69 of 71
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    d

You are right, Microsoft skipped 9 because they wanted to put 8 far behind them, since it was such a disaster.  I don't think Microsoft will get all that many people to switch to PCs, since Macs are preferred by many (including myself).  $300 is a paltry sum also, Macs cost many times more than that, and people are not likely to accept such a small amount of money for their hardware.

One thing that Windows has over OS X at this point is performance, it is much snappier.  Opening programs on Windows 10 is speedier, it feels more like Snow Leopard did (the most stable version of OS X to date).  Apple said that performance and usability were two huge focus areas of 10.11 El Capitan, so we will see how much that improves the experience of using the OS.  Ever since OS X moved to a yearly release schedule, quality has slipped, and the number of bugs has increased.  By the time the bugs are brought more under control, a new version is released, and the process repeats itself.  Speed and quality need to be continuous focus areas, otherwise the system will become unusable.

Make no mistake, I appreciate Apple tremendously, I really like the company's ethos of simplicity and ease of use.  I am just offering some constructive criticism to prod Apple to go back to basics, and make stable software, rather than chasing new features without minding quality control.  Happy weekend to all!
    Daniel, modern OS X versions are blisteringly snappy on SSDs, not spinning platter drives. Yet Apple persist in shipping a 21.5" iMac with a 5400rpm 2.5" HDD, and the same in the now ancient 2012 MacBook Pro 13" which they still haven't discontinued.
    Use an Air, Retina, or Fusion equiped Mac. The others feel broken, they are that slow in comparison.

No, Daniel is onto something... I've been playing with (and comparing) 13" MBA and 14" TravelMate... both with SSD. Granted, Acer has faster CPU and more RAM... however Acer's choice of SSD is usually not from the top shelves speed wise... I think it is around 500MB/s read and 350MB/s write in best-case scenarios... and even with basic things that should not take much advantage of faster hardware - boot, manipulating windows etc. - Travelmate feels quite a bit snappier. Not that MBA is slow, but it feels like they have gone for smooth feel rather than maximum performance.

I didn't check SSD performance of that MBA... maybe they are putting slower SSDs in MBA than what they use on MBP?
  • Reply 70 of 71

For the few Windows only applications that I run, I use Parallels 11 on my iMac.

And yes, it does run Windows 10.