Microsoft woos Mac owners with $300 Windows 10 'Trade Up' promotion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    oO This must be the worst marketing idea ever.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Hahahahahahahaha these people are insane!
  • Reply 23 of 71
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,265member

$300 will only pay for maybe two or three hours of psychotherapy - at best, to get over the loss of your Mac.

Then you end up with a Windows PC. 

Now you're back to square one, drowning in a sea of buyers remorse, needing even more psychotherapy, but it's now on your dime because you've just emptied your wallet and can't sleep because you're worried about malware, privacy leaks, and why your new PC just gets getting slower and slower and slower and runs Windows Update nonstop. And why does that damn start menu extend across half the friggen screen?

Sorry Microsoft, this sounds like an discounted offer for a Bag 'o Hurt that I neither want nor can afford. Maybe I'll do something slightly less annoying and life altering, like adopting a puppy that cannot be housebroken and insists on sleeping in my bed. 

• Reply 24 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DewMe View Post

$300 will only pay for maybe two or three hours of psychotherapy - at best, to get over the loss of your Mac.

Heh, heh, heh....

Very good. :P

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 25 of 71

This is going to be really popular.

Apple are doomed

• Reply 26 of 71
    revenant wrote: »

at least. say goodbye to your sturdy aluminium, here is a plastic junker that will no doubt creak and warp in the months to come.

It's really interesting to envision how the world of computers would look like without Apple. All cheap, crappy plastic junk with gruesome interfaces?
    Man, we're lucky.
  • Reply 27 of 71
    Microsoft:
    We'll buy your used PC for $200
    We'll but your used Mac for $300!! Macs are worth more!!
    Buy a PC.
  • Reply 28 of 71
    No credit toward Surface Pro?

Come on down to the Microsoft store. We'll give you a heck of a deal on a bunch of computers you probably don't want.
  • Reply 30 of 71
    [SIZE=3]It would be interesting to find out what Microcrap would do with all (snicker snicker) of the Macs they'd get.... Would they return them to Apple, or send them to the dump, or replace worker's PCs with something that actually works and is worth something?[/SIZE]
  • Reply 31 of 71
    jm6032jm6032 Posts: 147member
    mike022465 wrote: »
    It would be interesting to find out what Microcrap would do with all (snicker snicker) of the Macs they'd get.... Would they return them to Apple, or send them to the dump, or replace worker's PCs with something that actually works and is worth something?

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. I would certainly be willing to buy some old $300 macs...
  • Reply 32 of 71
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Fred1 View Post

Singing to the choir here, but there's no way I'm going to sell my 2009 Macbook Pro for $300.  I replaced it with a Retina Macbook Pro last year (so sweet!), but I'd rather use it as a serving tray than give it up for 3 Benjamins!

How about you sell me a new "Surface" for $100?  (just in case I need a second serving tray!)

I like the serving tray comment.

• Reply 33 of 71
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

But you don't need a new computer to run Windows, you can just install it on your Mac.

Ditto! This is what I tell people. Just get a Mac, as it can do both (if you really have to run Windows). 

• Reply 34 of 71
    uraharaurahara Posts: 733member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by darwiniandude View Post

Well, this is how it looked from front.

You missed the thing with cables behind...

• Reply 35 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
  • Reply 36 of 71
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,942member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

It's really interesting to envision how the world of computers would look like without Apple. All cheap, crappy plastic junk with gruesome interfaces?

Man, we're lucky.

I agree. The idea that computers need to be beautiful & delightful to use? ONLY Apple. The only reason others even bother to (poorly) copy is because they'd be steamrolled if they didn't. 

• Reply 37 of 71
    mystigomystigo Posts: 183member

Joking aside -I wonder what kind of condition the laptop needs to be in. I have one the original aluminum ones that my kids trashed and won't even chime anymore. My wife has been pushing me to throw it away. Would they take that (sans hard drive).

• Reply 38 of 71
    Quote:

Originally Posted by WonkoTheSane View Post

Man, we're lucky.

i meant  you pay for what you get. my wife had a toshiba that was plastic and loud when it moved ever so lightly on her lap. her computer was cheaper, but the battery and specs were dreadful. 

• Reply 39 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Hey MS, why don't you give us Win 10 for free. The best Windows machine is a Mac.
  • Reply 40 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    It seems like Windows 10 came pretty quick. What ever happened to Windows 9? I guess that they just skipped completely over that number. Maybe they were trying to run away from 8 and simply moving to 9 wasn't far enough removed from the nightmare that was 8.

Not that I really pay much attention to Windows releases since I never use Windows, but I think that Windows 8 must have been a huge failure and a big misstep, and that's why MS decided to make the move to Windows 10. 

I still think that this whole convergence of Touch with vintage desktop OSes is a terrible idea, and I never wish to see Apple head in that direction. And no, I don't ever want to see Apple make any ridiculous 2 in 1 product that's worse than the 2 product categories that it's attempting to replace. Talk about a downgrade.

Prior Windows version numbers are marketing. I think 10 is the actual version number. (Plus it matches conveniently with OS X ).