New Apple TV sales start on Oct. 26, ships next week, Cook says

Comments

• Reply 161 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by boredumb View Post

No, you aren't being thick, it's just that I've ranted about this in a few threads, and took the shortcut approach this time...

If you are only using ATV to stream movies/TV then you probably have no complaints, but if you also use it to stream photo streams and/or

music, then you may have had the experience of having your iTunes or iCloud Match lose track of some of your music, requiring reripping or redownloading, or entirely lose touch with your photos regularly, requiring restarts, and sometimes resets to - temporarily - reestablish your access.

Until this is solid, no point spending more for the same results, for my usage anyway.  

If the newer features are what interest you exclusively, then, buy away!

Ah, thanks for that, I was being thick I think (at least temporarily). I've read references to the iTunes Match and other such services causing issues, but since I don't use those I have filed them away in my "couldn't really care less" folder which I forget sometimes I even have.<grin> Sorry that Apple isn't doing a better job with stuff like that, it must be frustrating.

Yes, you're right, for me it's the new services, the apps (e.g. media centres) but mostly I have to admit, it's about the games I'm probably most excited. Equally, however, I'm excited to see what cool things app developers come up with that take this device by storm (and devices like it). I love my ATV, have been a fan since pre-order ATV gen 1, currently using a gen 2 (because it's hackable and I run Kodi on it). Of course if you're not so keen on the new apps I can see how this wouldn't be anything but continuing to deploy a product not quite there yet. Hope they fix those issues and quick.

• Reply 162 of 184
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tenly View Post

I did go back and re-read it and I did spot my error. I used the word "should" when I meant to use the word "would" and that's what's responsible for the misunderstanding.

In any case, the point of my previous post was to state that I think Apple has every intention of enabling 4K support on the Apple TV retroactively. It won't take new hardware. The A8 is more than capable enough. After re-reading much of this thread, I agree with those that have suggested Apple is working on getting 4K content ready in iTunes. As soon as it's ready, I think they'll release an update which enables 4K in the hardware.

Why would Apple sit back to see which streaming standard gets ratified...? Wouldn't they normally evaluate both (or all) of the competing technologies and then decide which one best suits them and throw their support behind that one....?

Thanks for clarifying - most people wouldn't:)

While none of us know Apple's plans, my opinion is that they will not later enable 4K video streaming in this new (gen 4) Apple TV.  I think Apple is waiting on HEVC to fully baked on the licensing side before they add this functionality in terms of HW support into a new model.  4K without HEVC for Internet streaming is going to be very niche as the BW required for any reasonable quality stream will be higher than most can receive.

• Reply 163 of 184
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by polymnia View Post

Its an interesting question.

I suspect the router would be fine. I can stream 4k off the internet through the apps built in to my TV. If I can get 4K over the small pipe to the internet, I assume the fatter (though wireless) pipe between the iPhone and my (current) AirPort router would be even more robust.

But, perhaps the 4K files captured by the iPhone 6s are higher bitrate than what is delivered over the internet via streaming 4K media services?

If we were to take the 4K haters at their word, the 4K delivered via Netflix, etc. probably wouldn't saturate a dial-up AOL connection ;) 

At hack of the first episode of "Breaking Bad" 4K on Netflix had the episode streaming at 41Gb/sec. You're gonna need at least a 50Gb connection with a good 'n' or 'ac' router.

• Reply 164 of 184
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

Are we sure that the new Apple TV hardware will not support 4K? It might just be a software update in a year or two.

I was thinking the same thing, this just might be the case. As far as there not being any content yet for 4K, this is actually not true. I have over 60 4K movies now, without a single doubt that number will quadruple by year out. Amazon Instant Video, NetFlix, Ultraflix, M-GO, Video Unlimited, YouTube, Google Play, etc. Though I think 4K will start to really take off once BluRay 4K discs become available next month. I will certainly be buying lots of them as I still prefer physical media, however I will definitely be ripping and encoding them for my Nvidia Shield TV. 2016 will be a huge year for 4K so by the time the Apple TV 5 in mid year comes along there will be plenty of content available. Though that will suck for this year's Apple TV buyers if Apple can't upgrade the resolution.

• Reply 165 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

At hack of the first episode of "Breaking Bad" 4K on Netflix had the episode streaming at 41Gb/sec. You're gonna need at least a 50Gb connection with a good 'n' or 'ac' router.

I don't know what it's like in the US but 100Mbps is the average speed here in Switzerland now, 20Mbps for the real budget minded or prepaid crowd. With many opting for fiber now, myself included as we have one of the fastest growing infrastructures in the world for it. There are now only a few places that can't get it yet. Which still has it's downsides as their tearing up all of our streets to install it, I hate traffic.

• Reply 166 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

How large are those 4k movie files?

What 4k Bluray players are available next month?  I thought the first player would be the Samsung coming out next year? 

4K movie file sizes range from 80GB to 200GB depending on the movie and length. Like I've noticed action movies with lot's of movement are actually larger than a drama that has a longer running time. Than again it could just be a coincidence, how it was encoded and so on. I didn't know that about the the BluRay players, I've just heard about the actual BluRay discs themselves. So that sucks, no player, no go. I guess it's not such a big deal as the online streaming services keep releasing more and more films every month and it's just a matter of time when new titles will be released daily. Will definitely not have to wait another year though, at the rate they're releasing now there will be at least 400 titles available by year out.

• Reply 167 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

I don't know what it's like in the US but 100Mbps is the average speed here in Switzerland now

Depends, we have our budget folks too. I'm paying for the middle tier and getting 170Mbps on average now. So, it's getting better here in the USA.

• Reply 168 of 184
    polymniapolymnia Posts: 1,080member
    smaffei wrote: »

Check and check!

Though I assume you mean Mb/sec
  • Reply 169 of 184
    Quote:

Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Depends, we have our budget folks too. I'm paying for the middle tier and getting 170Mbps on average now. So, it's getting better here in the USA.

That's great, plenty of speed, what are your uploads speeds like. My line isn't the fastest fiber option available but it is 1Gbps D and 1Gbps U with fixed IP. Which is a must for maintaining your own email and cloud server, which I do.

• Reply 170 of 184

Oh, it cable. So, up is bad. A lowly 12 Mbps.

• Reply 171 of 184
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ wrote: »

I think that they will be. The average TV size has increased these past years and when the 70" are cheap enough, more and more people will be buying them.

youre citing price, he was addressing size. i could afford one but i have no desire for a tv that size in my old house. 42" currently, and couldnt go much larger.
  • Reply 172 of 184
    takeo wrote: »
    I'm still buying the new AppleTV because the current one is painful in need of an update. But I'm not looking forward to buying the next AppleTV in just a year or two when they finally support 4K.

i will gladly buy the next one if it offers me new value. i always find somebody to give or sell my old stuff to.
  • Reply 173 of 184
    relic wrote: »
    I don't know what it's like in the US but 100Mbps is the average speed here in Switzerland now, 20Mbps for the real budget minded or prepaid crowd.

when i tested my neighbor's speeds on the lowest-end cable, she was get 1-2Mbps. her cable/phone/internet bundle is over $100/mo. let that sink in.

thats what the entertainment titans (all based in the US) have to deal with. much easier for small nations such as yours to wire themselves appropriately...but that isnt where the prized content originates, so youll have to wait for us.
  • Reply 174 of 184
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    sog35 wrote: »
    How large are those 4k movie files?

What 4k Bluray players are available next month?  I thought the first player would be the Samsung coming out next year? 

That's what I had heard too - but I couldn't remember where I heard it and definitely didn't have any citations so I dropped it and didn't argue. It might have been something I heard in one of the AI podcasts....? Whatever the source though, it had said there would be players and content available for the 2015 holiday season (which is almost now). Again though...I'm sure I heard it...but I don't know whether the source was speculating, wishful thinking or actually reporting something factual....
  • Reply 175 of 184
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TechLover View Post

You can post all of the charts, graphs, and statements of FACT That you want to.

You can certainly tell me that my eyes are fooling me.

You can also try your hardest to convince me that a 4K screen does not look better than a 1080 screen.

All I can say is that in my opinion a 4K set simply looks better to me at any distance. My opinion is based on what I have actually seen with my own two eyeballs. That just is my opinion. My opinion does not show up on any chart or graph. Nor does my opinion fit your narrative of FACT's.

If my eyes are fooling me, so be it. But I have pretty good vision that could spot a flea on a dogs ass from a yard away.

I understand if you don't want to believe it, or can't see it for yourself. That is perfectly fair. After all these are my eyeballs (not anyone else's) telling my brain (not someone else's brain) which screen is better.

Actually, you can both be right. I suspect that you notice that 4K screens look better simply because they are better screens with a better dynamic range, black levels, viewing angles, etc. Currently, most TV manufacturers are making pretty average 1080p panels in an attempt to get people to upgrade to 4K. So it's not the pixels that make it look better from farther away; it's the increased quality of those pixels on the more expensive 4K TVs.

If this is actually what's going on, then your upsampled image from a 1080p AppleTV might also look better on the 4K TV than a 1080p TV. That probably depends a lot on the stream quality to the AppleTV, though.

• Reply 176 of 184

Does anyone know if this is going to launch at 12:00 (midnight) or some time in the morning? Don't really want to have to stay up on a Sunday night :(

• Reply 177 of 184
    richl wrote: »
    I assume that I'll be able to just walk into a store and buy one next week?
    Yes I was wondering this. Apple themselves couldn't say when I spoke to them.
  • Reply 178 of 184
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member

Is it Monday yet? :)

I'm definitely looking forward to this.  And when I turned in my 5s to get a 6s, I got a gift card for $165, so free!

• Reply 179 of 184
    tenlytenly Posts: 710member
    Yes I was wondering this. Apple themselves couldn't say when I spoke to them.
    Are you expecting supply constraints? I expect there will be plenty in stock and I haven't heard anything to the contrary...have you?
  • Reply 180 of 184
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member

4K 8K 16 K  ALL RUBBISH WITHOUT ADEQUATE CONNECTION SPEED

i have apple tv 2   at 720  for my family is fine.  chasing specs for specs doesn't address the usability variable

i have TWC  which government policies created, there is little competition in broadband

so i've had so much trouble with TWC that i have changed my preference in netflix and itunes to standard def

yes a save a few bucks from itunes, but i can't even consider downloading 4k to even test the resolution

yes i will be buying a 4k tv  75 or even 80 for my theater room rather than a projection style unit

but why 4k?   because now 1080 res tv's are cutting options, hdmi connections "less smart" interfaces

so i'm getting 4k tv for the other stuff most 1080 only have a few hdmi input, so with apple tv using one why do i need more?

well my lg (which i love) hdmi went out thank goodness it has 3 so i had to switch around for my cable box to work

theater room won't have a cable box but want all the other "stuff"  

and as several have said i can get the 4k with the "stuff"  at about what i paid 4 years ago for my lg 1080

so if  fiber and no data caps becomes the norm i'll HAVE to stick to no more than 720 def or sd