Questionable rumors peg Nov. 19 iPad Pro launch, 2.5M units for 2015

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    I agree completely, the MacBook, lovely as it is seems a tad gimped - I love, love, love the engineering and design, but I fear it'll struggle over the coming years to keep up, whereas the iPad Pro I know will do admirably or better given the speed of the processor (and knowing my 2 year old version still rocks) and with the addition of more RAM that device will be one you can use very productively for several years without any issues. Plus, it's iOS and I just find that OS to have matured and become much more sophisticated in the past few years. Plus, all the iOS games (I'm a board game fan) of course. :-) It's definitely a very good compromise.

Wonder if we'll see an iPad dock like they had with the gen 1 iPad that you can put on your desk (with attached keyboard) - probably lots of peripherals like that given the "smart connector" it sports.

The MacBook just seems to have been designed for an A9x or a A10 series chip to me.

I know it runs OS X but still....
  • Reply 22 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

For me it is all about the keyboard. I would rather have an iPad than a MacBook for when I'm away from my iMac...I just need to be able to do a certain level of work. The keyboard is essential, since I do lots of remote server management work.

I'm really hopeful that the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard can do it for me. I think it can.

Yep, exactly, combining it with the keyboard is where it's at. I did it with my Air and that's when the iPad came into full usefulness, such that I started taking it instead of my MBA. I chose a folio, it was not ideal covering the beautiful shell of the iPad, but to be honest, the folio is so durable I throw it in my bag and never worry about it. One thing I'm looking for in a new keyboard case/folio for the new iPad Pro would be adjustability with the screen. The folio I have allows full adjustment of angle, whereas some of the options are limited to angles, and also they don't always lock the iPad in place, so it's not quite (for me) as flexible in terms of usage. There is a new Logitech they're promoting but I've yet to see any details. The one I chose is from Zagg (for my Air) which I love but not sure the iPad Pro will be produced in sufficient numbers that we see as many options in cases and keyboard folios.

• Reply 23 of 52
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

"what would you expect in an Air 3 that the Air 2 doesnt have?"

1.  Apple Pencil experience

2.  3D Touch

3. 4GB of RAM

4. Same magnetic connector as iPad Pro to allow it to connect to future devices.

Indeed. Now, you do understand why that product is not available today, and won't be until late 2016, correct?

• Reply 24 of 52
    I agree completely, the MacBook, lovely as it is seems a tad gimped - I love, love, love the engineering and design, but I fear it'll struggle over the coming years to keep up, whereas the iPad Pro I know will do admirably or better given the speed of the processor (and knowing my 2 year old version still rocks) and with the addition of more RAM that device will be one you can use very productively for several years without any issues. Plus, it's iOS and I just find that OS to have matured and become much more sophisticated in the past few years. Plus, all the iOS games (I'm a board game fan) of course. :-) It's definitely a very good compromise.

Wonder if we'll see an iPad dock like they had with the gen 1 iPad that you can put on your desk (with attached keyboard) - probably lots of peripherals like that given the "smart connector" it sports.

iOS is just a nice light weight OS.

Love Mac OS X is great. Been using it since the Beta back in Sept 2000.

Still wondering what the end game is. Just seems like it is coming eventually.

Intel getting slower with their releases and I can't say Apple is happy about it.
  • Reply 25 of 52
    pmz wrote: »

Indeed. Now, you do understand why that product is not available today, and won't be until late 2016, correct?

I could see the iPad Air 3 getting the Pencil.

iPad Air 3 with A9x and then the next Pro with a 10x chip.

They will maintain a gap.

Then maybe a slightly cheaper mini with no Pencil capability and a plain A9 chip.

Just an opinion.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    flaneur wrote: »
    I believe all the screens are coming from Sharp, and this might be their first big trial for high production of IGZO displays at this resolution. DigiTimes in Taiwan might have no insight into this situation in Japan. (I know, "insight" is a bit ironic here.)

Did you just IGZO this thread?
  • Reply 27 of 52
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The keyboard is essential, since I do lots of remote server management work.

I'm really hopeful that the iPad Pro + Smart Keyboard can do it for me. I think it can.

Why do you want to use an iPad Pro rather than a MBP for server management? They are both about the same size and once you buy a keyboard and some special apps, the difference in cost is not that great plus the MBP is so much more versatile. 

Sure you can create and edit php files with ssh, but I'd rather have a local file system and ftp, especially for creating and uploading images. I suppose there are apps for that but I'm usually doing several things at once so a MBP is my preference for maintaining websites and servers when I'm away from my desktop.

When I go to the data center to maintain the servers I cannot connect through wifi due to firewall security so I have an ethernet cable and I just patch into the switch. Can't do that with an iPad. Some people use one of the provided carts with a monitor/keyboard but there are only a few of them and they are often in use. No way I can see an iPad replacing my MBP.

• Reply 28 of 52
    I'm all over this!

For you young'ns the first Apple tablet was a input device only -- no display, no APU, no nothin'. It was made by Wacom, was released for the Apple ][ in 1979 & sold for $650 -- that's $2,130.36 in 2015 dollars..

Ugh. Is this how they made TRON?
  • Reply 29 of 52
    Quote:

"what would you expect in an Air 3 that the Air 2 doesnt have?"

1.  Apple Pencil experience

2.  3D Touch

3. 4GB of RAM

4. Same magnetic connector as iPad Pro to allow it to connect to future devices.

yes - this would be a nice upgrade, although for me the pencil is what i really want, i don't see Apple allowing pencil in the smaller iPads.

• Reply 30 of 52
    ingelaingela Posts: 217member

In a world of practically useless $450-$1200 Chromebooks, this is a steal of a device even if you are not an artist. 

• Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

yes - this would be a nice upgrade, although for me the pencil is what i really want, i don't see Apple allowing pencil in the smaller iPads.

I'm hoping that's exactly what we'll see. Those (iPad Pro) features are significant enough that would (might) compel people to upgrade. Apple needs to provide compelling reasons to buy a new iPad given how most everyone who will ever own one has one, and the replacement cycle between upgrades is growing because the chips are already so fast and the market is mature, meaning most of the features that ever will be incorporated into tablets are pretty much here. I'd expect the Pro features to be the only reasons to upgrade the Air and mini - look at the last Air upgrade, photo and camera stuff, big yawn for most of us, but the Pro features (speedier CPU with pencil, smart connector and more RAM) are easily converted into the other iPads and make them diminutive "pro" devices, which will then become the standard. I would expect staggered releases, as others have said, first the Air next year, then the mini the following year.

• Reply 32 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Did you just IGZO this thread?

I always IGZO the thread, unless you do first.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mike1 View Post

I wish they'd announce an "Air 3". Time to replace my iPad 2 but I don't need or want the larger form factor of the Pro.

I would bet Apple updates the Air line on an every-other-year basis moving forward.  Same with the Pro.  

• Reply 34 of 52
    Movies and games would be sweet on this one. Too bad there is no 3d-touch until Pro 2 next fall.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    The iPad Pro looks pretty awesome...but at more than $1,200 for the 128GB Pencil tax, it's hard to not just get a new 13" MBP instead...and keep my iPad Air.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    Quote:

Originally Posted by williamlondon View Post

I'm hoping that's exactly what we'll see. Those (iPad Pro) features are significant enough that would (might) compel people to upgrade. Apple needs to provide compelling reasons to buy a new iPad given how most everyone who will ever own one has one, and the replacement cycle between upgrades is growing because the chips are already so fast and the market is mature, meaning most of the features that ever will be incorporated into tablets are pretty much here. I'd expect the Pro features to be the only reasons to upgrade the Air and mini - look at the last Air upgrade, photo and camera stuff, big yawn for most of us, but the Pro features (speedier CPU with pencil, smart connector and more RAM) are easily converted into the other iPads and make them diminutive "pro" devices, which will then become the standard. I would expect staggered releases, as others have said, first the Air next year, then the mini the following year.

I'd be surprised if the iPad mini gets the Pro features. I'm not confident there's a bright future for that device or small tablets in general.

• Reply 37 of 52
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    ...revoke...

• Reply 38 of 52
    Quote:

I'd be surprised if the iPad mini gets the Pro features. I'm not confident there's a bright future for that device or small tablets in general.

You're probably right. Since I got my 6+ my poor mini sits there quite unloved it seems, as well as my Kindle. My mini I still do use occasionally, but mostly only for reading PDFs and sometimes it's just at hand (which I suppose isn't really a roaring testimonial is it?<grin>). Sad, it was such a great device (and still is). The size works for some things (for me) still but I can't really justify the upgrade to the current model this year (as I thought I might do).

It's interesting to watch these issues sort themselves over time, where we as consumers use these devices differently, then the market offers a new format or form factor, which we incorporate into our usage patters and old ones fade away. We're all still learning at this point, but you're right, the size of the mini has fewer unique uses given how larger phones and thinner/lighter weight larger tablets have come into the fore in recent years. Even the eInk devices are struggling, where it seemed a couple of years ago they were so functional.

• Reply 39 of 52
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by slickdealer View Post

I would bet Apple updates the Air line on an every-other-year basis moving forward.  Same with the Pro.  

They'll probably want to upgrade the pro a few time, to really crush the competition and give them no hope, before going on a 2 year cycle

• Reply 40 of 52
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

They'll probably want to upgrade the pro a few time, to really crush the competition and give them no hope, before going on a 2 year cycle

I think the Air was just shifted to March, waiting for 3d-touch which is for now being "tested" by a crowd of iPhone 6s owners.