Apple earns record $51.5B revenue on sales of 48M iPhones, 5.7M Macs

Posted:
in AAPL Investors edited October 2015
Apple reported yet another record smashing quarter on Tuesday, earning $51.5 billion in revenue and $11.1 billion in net profit on blockbuster sales of 48 million iPhones.

Overall revenue was up 22 percent year over year, compared to $42.1 billion in revenue and $8.5 billion net profit during the same period a year ago. Apple was also propelled by record sales of 5.7 million Macs, up 3 percent year over year.
The iPhone set a fourth-quarter sales record, while the Mac posted an all-time record for sales in Apple's Sept. 2015 quarter.
"Fiscal 2015 was Apple's most successful year ever, with revenue growing 28 percent to nearly $234 billion," said Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook. "This continued success is the result of our commitment to making the best, most innovative products on earth, and it's a testament to the tremendous execution by our teams."

"We are heading into the holidays with our strongest product lineup yet, including iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, Apple Watch with an expanded lineup of cases and bands, the new iPad Pro and the all-new Apple TV which begins shipping this week."

Gross margin was at 39.9 percent for the quarter, up from 38 percent a year ago. Apple's earnings were $1.96 per diluted share, an increase from $1.42 EPS in the September 2014 quarter.

iPhone units posted a 22 percent year over year increase, while revenue from the hot selling handset was up 36 percent.

International sales accounted for 62 percent of the quarter's revenue, and sales in China were up 99 percent year over year.

iPad sales continued their decline in the quarter, however, falling 20 percent year over year to 9.8 million tablets.

"Apple's record September quarter results drove earnings per share growth of 38% and operating cash flow of $13.5 billion," said Apple Chief Financial Officer Luca Maestri. "We returned $17 billion to our investors during the quarter through share repurchases and dividends, and we have now completed over $143 billion of our $200 billion capital return program."

Looking forward to the December quarter, Apple's first of fiscal 2016, the company is projecting revenue between $75.5 billion and $77.5 billion, with gross margins between 39 and 40 percent. Operating expenses are expected to be between $6.3 billion and $6.4 billion, with other income of $400 million, and a tax rate of 26.2 percent.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 183

WHAMMO!

China sales up 99%! Let me repeat that... 99%!

sixcolorsevent

Apple reporting $1.96/share on 51.5B revenue. Beating the street.

10/27/15, 1:30 PM

sixcolorsevent

iPhone up 22% YOY to 48M, iPad down 20% YOY to 10M, Mac record 5.7M, up 3.3% YOY 39.9% margin

10/27/15, 1:31 PM

sixcolorsevent

China revenue up 99%

10/27/15, 1:31 PM

• Reply 2 of 183
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And the stock is doing nothing. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 3 of 183
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member

Oops! Phone sales too low.

• Reply 4 of 183
    melgross wrote: »

To low compared to?
  • Reply 5 of 183

What, no absurd 10% leap in the stock price after hours? Google and Amazon must be supplying Wall Street with a constant flow of crack.

• Reply 6 of 183
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Is this sarcasm or trolling?

• Reply 7 of 183
    totaltotal Posts: 83member

3% up now, be patient .. at least AAPL did not tank -10%, we should be happy! :-)

• Reply 8 of 183

Excellent quarter. The juggernaut marches on... 

Screw the short-term moves (although it's up by >3% as I write). The stock will be up substantially over time for those who're willing to wait. Either you have the faith, or you don't.

• Reply 9 of 183

All those Wall Street boys were right again. Wait, scratch that, I mean wrong again. Shocker.

• Reply 10 of 183
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Looks like Apple's "Other" category grew by 1% since the 3rd quarter earnings report, if the numbers I"m seeing elsewhere are accurate. Went from 5% of the total earnings to 6% of the total earnings, and that has to be driven almost exclusively by the ?Watch. And that's up 2% year over year, and 1% from the previous quarter. So it looks like the ?Watch may be responsible for close to a steady 1% quarterly growth of he "Other" category, so theoretically 4% growth by March? 

• Reply 11 of 183
    mubailimubaili Posts: 453member
    total wrote: »
    3% up now, be patient .. at least AAPL did not tank -10%, we should be happy! :-)
    Yea! Mang, I wish they would just guide strongly for Q1 and we could make money in the short term. Then misses the guide when reporting Q1 and we make money by buying puts. Why can't Apple manipulate its share price? Why can't it think different anymore?
  • Reply 12 of 183
    sog35 wrote: »
    They need to go private.

I hate being a broken record but nothing will make this stock get a fair valuation as long as Wall Street is allowed to manipulate the shit out of it.

It's up 3% now but if this was anyone else it would be up at least 10%. Best Q4 in Apple's history. Record iPhone sales for this quarter, 30% Android switchers. Record Mac sales. And Wall Street basically says meh.
  • Reply 13 of 183

As Benjamin Graham said, the market is a voting machine over the short term but a weighing machine over the long term.

If they keep taking care of making money, this will sort itself out over time.  Maybe a long time but it will happen.

• Reply 14 of 183
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

It's up 3% now but if this was anyone else it would be up at least 10%. Best Q4 in Apple's history. Record iPhone sales for this quarter, 30% Android switchers. Record Mac sales. And Wall Street basically says meh.

3% isn't much, and sentiment can change, so that it could go down.

• Reply 15 of 183
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

To low compared to?

It's low in growth for quarter over quarter I guess.

1)If you see, last quarter, Apple sold 47.54 million iPhones vs this quarter it is 48 million even considering 99% growth in China.

Note that this quarter, there was new iPhone release (though only for few days)

2)Comparing same for last years two quarters, it sold 39.27 million iPhones compared to 35.2 million smartphones.

3)Add that to dropped sale  of iPads from 12.32 million to 9.88 million iPads.

As far as stock is not down, I am happy camper.

Hopefully We will see revenue growth from non iPhone segments from upcoming quarter. 

Most important though is guidance for next quarter is showing around 4% growth, which may be new norm as far as iPhones sales are concerned.

Now growth has to come from other categories for share price to change drastically.

• Reply 16 of 183
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    rogifan wrote: »

Pity about iPads dragging this all down.

arent the Mac sales much higher than predicted by IDC in their recent OS share survey? I can see the Mac getting to 30% of the market eventually.
  • Reply 17 of 183
    I love these negative analysts. Total f......g tools. Anyway sell the rip. Wall Street had too much money to gain by manipulating the stock. It's not suitable for long term investors anymore. Go punch an analyst if you know one.
  • Reply 18 of 183
    shahhet2 wrote: »
    1)If you see, last quarter, Apple sold 47.54 million iPhones vs this quarter it is 48 million even considering 99% growth in China.
    2)Comparing same for last years two quarters, it sold 39.27 million iPhones compared to 35.2 million smartphones.

Hopefully We will see revenue growth from non iPhone segments from upcoming quarter. 

Is it an apple's to apple's comparison? How many iPhone 6's were counted in Q4 last year compared to 6S's this year? I think more of the sales were pushed in to Q1 this year which would explain why last years QOQ change was greater than this year.
  • Reply 18 of 183
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    shahhet2 wrote: »

Most important though is guidance for next quarter is showing around 4% growth, which may be new norm as far as iPhones sales are concerned.
    Now growth has to come from other categories for share price to change drastically.

The growths impressive if you consider that they would have very few sales to channel of the 6/+in the month before the 6S/+
  • Reply 20 of 183

+ .84%