The Guardian trots out notorious Mike Daisey to speculate about how Apple could be doomed

Comments

• Reply 101 of 128
    ai46 wrote: »

You give them (CNBC and Fortune) too much credit for timeliness. They'll get to it next week.

You are probably correct. Still, this kind of trash talk usually has them perpetuating it as fast as possible.
  • Reply 102 of 128
    No report is essentially objective, like Fox for R and CNN for D.

DED here is the one for Apple. I wish DED could report Apple with objective view one day.

Of course, if DED is Apple Stock holder, my wish won't come true.
  • Reply 103 of 128
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

fanboyism?  Don't think so.

Please point out anything DED said that is FALSE.  Its not fanboyism if what you say are FACTS.  Telling FACTS is not being a fanboy.  That's called reporting.

Not exactly. I think some here have complained at times about cherry-picking facts rather than painting the entire picture. Look at the Dems and Republicans for examples of using real facts to spin a false narrative. Not of course saying that's what DED does.

Examples? (Serious/substantive ones, please).

• Reply 104 of 128
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,563member
    Of political stories using cherry-picked facts to prove their position? Any discussion of the economy should probably fit, or if you want some specific example use the recent Bengazi inquiry.
  • Reply 105 of 128
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    It's amazing to me that liars like Daisey and Enderle still get paid to write.
  • Reply 106 of 128

Mike Daisey is doomed. Every dog has his day - Apple will, at some point in the future, fall from grace - but poor Mike, one day he will die - there's nothing surer. As will we all. So my condolences in advance to those you will eventually leave behind, once your life has run its course. Meanwhile, eat, drink and be merrie!

• Reply 107 of 128
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    fearless wrote: »
    Mike Daisey is doomed. Every dog has his day - Apple will, at some point in the future, fall from grace - but poor Mike, one day he will die - there's nothing surer. As will we all. So my condolences in advance to those you will eventually leave behind, once your life has run its course. Meanwhile, eat, drink and be merrie!

I'm glad you brought that up. A modest proposal:

People of Mike Daisey's tonnage should be rendered before cremation, whereupon their body fat can be used for biodiesel of medium-grade quality. No match for vegetable oil, but still useful for ships at sea, offshore platforms, etc.

That way they will feel better about themselves when facing the Grim Reaper, and in fact the prospect of paying back nature for their excesses might get them off any misguided messianic compensatory missions they might be on.

Clearly his poor self-image is at the root of his campaign to take down the most admired and benevolent of American corporations.

Daisey, take note! Deliverance through diesel oil!
  • Reply 108 of 128
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Of political stories using cherry-picked facts to prove their position? Any discussion of the economy should probably fit, or if you want some specific example use the recent Bengazi inquiry.

Sog35 was asking you about DED, and you said there have been some "complaints" here about his "cherry-picking."

That's what I was asking about too, whether you had any examples of DED doing that.
  • Reply 109 of 128
    That you need to write so much tells the influence he got via improper means. A known and proven serial liar gets to write an article as an expert on what he lied about. Sad.
  • Reply 110 of 128
    flaneur wrote: »

I'm glad you brought that up. A modest proposal:

People of Mike Daisey's tonnage should be rendered before cremation, whereupon their body fat can be used for biodiesel of medium-grade quality. No match for vegetable oil, but still useful for ships at sea, offshore platforms, etc.

That way they will feel better about themselves when facing the Grim Reaper, and in fact the prospect of paying back nature for their excesses might get them off any misguided messianic compensatory missions they might be on.

Clearly his poor self-image is at the root of his campaign to take down the most admired and benevolent of American corporations.

Daisey, take note! Deliverance through diesel oil!

LOL. On the topic of giving back to nature after you die, you should check on how the Parsees (Zoarastrians) bury their dead. Search for 'tower of silence in Bombay.'

Your proposal is not all that outlandish!
  • Reply 111 of 128
    Sog35 was asking you about DED, and you said there have been some "complaints" here about his "cherry-picking."

That's what I was asking about too, whether you had any examples of DED doing that.
    That's not at all what I said. You should re-read it.

The point I made was including facts doesn't make the story either factual nor automatically qualify as reporting. The mention of complaints about cherry-picking facts was in general, not DED specifically, which I would have expected the last sentence to have made clear.
  • Reply 112 of 128
    gatorguy wrote: »
    That's not at all what I said. You should re-read it.

The point I made was including facts doesn't make the story either factual nor automatically qualify as reporting. The mention of complaints about cherry-picking facts was in general, not DED specifically, which I would have expected the last sentence to have made clear.

Ah, my mistake then. I thought your first sentence was quite clear, but not so much your last sentence.

It's good to know that you have no major issues with DED's reporting of facts.
  • Reply 113 of 128
    The British press sure seems to be anti Apple and I am not sure why. Whenever I read a British story I know immediately that it will be clickbait and very anti Apple to the point where I don't even read those stories anymore. They don't have a dog in the game so I just don't understand it.
    I'm afraid you are right and I am equally confused why this is the case. Go back 2 years and the BBC were generally unbiased if a little pro-Apple. Now every story, even the success/good news stuff is openly biased against Apple - to the extent that I've started filing complaints with BBC trust. Similarly the guardian appears to be on the turn, they still have the Stephen fry articles but the vitriolic tone of the readers responses to any Apple story appears to be influencing the editorial direction. As a Brit I can only apologise, I don't mind being exposed to genuine evidenced based criticism or investigative journalism and the whole left wing/right wing issue is a lot less charged or polarised over here and therefore irrelevant, but this is just lazy, sensationalist journalism and I expect better from the guardian.
  • Reply 114 of 128
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by aircm1982 View Post

No report is essentially objective, like Fox for R and CNN for D.

DED here is the one for Apple. I wish DED could report Apple with objective view one day.

Of course, if DED is Apple Stock holder, my wish won't come true.

DED is an APPL stock holder, not that it's disclosed at the bottom of the article he writes.

• Reply 115 of 128
    LOL. On the topic of giving back to nature after you die, you should check on how the Parsees (Zoarastrians) bury their dead. Search for 'tower of silence in Bombay.'

Your proposal is not all that outlandish!

Did not know the story of this practice, thanks. I am a fan of Indo-European roots history, though, so I'd run across the more primitive Scythian exposure of the dead on simple platforms on the steppe.

Too bad about the vulture crisis. Maybe they'll bounce back.
  • Reply 116 of 128
    Anyway, here's the point:

[B]"Shame on The Guardian"—Gruber.[/B]

You would think the new editor, Katharine Viner, would know better than to poke a stick at the most aware segment of her on-line readership, seeing as how she comes out of the Internet side of The Guardian's business, not the print side. I'd consider it a major blunder to buy a piece from Daisey, looking at it from the publisher's point of view.
  • Reply 117 of 128
    richl wrote: »
    DED is an APPL stock holder, not that it's disclosed at the bottom of the article he writes.

So what?

Why shouldn't someone own a company's stock because they love the products, the high quality management, and most importantly how financially successful they are, and therefore feel sufficiently positively about it so that they want others to benefit from it too? How will the fact that he discloses ownership make a difference to whether you think he is more or less credible?

(Oh, please don't cite silly disclosure practices adopted by the media, which are nothing more than bogus credibility-theater.)
  • Reply 118 of 128
    flaneur wrote: »

Did not know the story of this practice, thanks. I am a fan of Indo-European roots history, though, so I'd run across the more primitive Scythian exposure of the dead on simple platforms on the steppe.

Too bad about the vulture crisis. Maybe they'll bounce back.

This is indeed a crisis. But Bombay-ites (they're now called 'Mumbaikars') don't want the vultures in their midst. (Interestingly, however, I understand that the crows and the peacocks have picked up some of the slack.)

Funny, considering that the city has no shortage of the human kind....*

*Add: Don't anybody take offense, please! I lived in that city for many many years, I know it well, I LOVE it, and think it's one of the greatest cities on the planet!
  • Reply 119 of 128
    Ah, my mistake then. I thought your first sentence was quite clear, but not so much your last sentence.

It's good to know that you have no major issues with DED's reporting of facts.
    He always includes interesting facts. I learn something from nearly every one of his articles.
  • Reply 120 of 128
    richl wrote: »

Actually your mention was the first time I've ever seen this disclosed.

AppleInsider absolutely needs to clearly disclose this fact somewhere anytime a Dilger piece appears on this site.

http://www.cnet.com/news/apple-blogger-dominates-shareholder-meeting/

I know the tendency here is to act like AI is a full blown rumors and news site instead of a blog. On occasion I've had to hold feet to fire here for lapses in reportage and disclosures of conflict of interest. If Dilger writes for a living and he now discloses on his own site that he is an AAPL stock owner, it needs to accompany his posts here.