Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

So, 2016 line up (subsidized):

iPhone 7+: $299

iPhone 7: $199

iPhone 6S+: $199

iPhone 6S: $99

iPhone 6+: disconnected

iPhone 6: Free.

Where will be the place for 4" iPhone, let's say 6c? at $99 tier with 6S? Then the phone must be a kick-ass phone at the same level with 6S.

Apple can discontinue the 6 & 6+, and put the 6c (with A9, 2GB RAM) in the free slot.  So you have;

7+   : $299

7     : $199

6S+ : $199

6S   : $99

6C   : Free

So essentially, every device sold will come with a minimum 2GB of RAM and a powerful SoC capable of powering iOS 9 / iOS 10

• Reply 22 of 84
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Apple can discontinue the 6 & 6+, and put the 6c (with A9, 2GB RAM) in the free slot.  So you have;

So essentially, every device sold will come with a minimum 2GB of RAM and a powerful SoC capable of powering iOS 9 / iOS 10

fallenjt wrote: »
    So, 2016 line up (subsidized):
    iPhone 7+: $299
    iPhone 7: $199
    iPhone 6S+: $199
    iPhone 6S: $99
    iPhone 6+: disconnected
    iPhone 6: Free.
    Where will be the place for 4" iPhone, let's say 6c? at $99 tier with 6S? Then the phone must be a kick-ass phone at the same level with 6S.

No. It will be cheaper than the iPhone 6.

Please don't say "cheaper than free?"

It's also likely to come out early 2016, before the 7 if this reports accurate.
  • Reply 23 of 84
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

No. It will be cheaper than the iPhone 6.

Please don't say "cheaper than free?"

It's also likely to come out early 2016, before the 7 if this reports accurate.

If this report is correct, and this new 4" iPhone has an A9 SoC & 2GB of RAM, then I disagree. The performance on this 4" iPhone would be much greater than the iPhone 6, so if anything, it would be the same price. There would not be any reason for the iPhone 6 to exist in this situation.

• Reply 24 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

no way Apple will discontinue both 6+ and 6. 6 at lowest tier will drive sale like crazy.
  • Reply 25 of 84
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

If this report is correct, and this new 4" iPhone has an A9 SoC & 2GB of RAM, then I disagree. The performance on this 4" iPhone would be much greater than the iPhone 6, so if anything, it would be the same price. There would not be any reason for the iPhone 6 to exist in this situation.

Right. If it's 4" with A9 and 2GB of RAM, it'll be the same specs as the current flagship 6S/6S+. That means the 4" 6c (assumed), 6S+ and 6S must be differentiated by screen sizes only. So, 6S+ at $199 sub, 6S at $99, where will 6c stands, $0? Unless Apple place this at lowest tier $0 same as iPhone 6, and keep both there, it doesn't make sense. So, either you get 4.7" A8, 1GB of RAM or 4" A9, 2GB of RAM...It still doesn't make sense to me that why would an entry level phone have better specs? This rumor doesn't make sense. If this 4" phone is for emerging market, it should have A8 chip and 1GB of RAM for the price less than iPhone 6 ($450?).

• Reply 26 of 84
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member

If it costs the same as the iPhone 6S Plus, I'll buy one.

• Reply 27 of 84
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    The new 4" shouldn't be a crippled device—but will be. In reality it should be a new iPhone 7 family: 7 mini, 7 and 7 plus. Differentiating only in terms of screen size, battery size, processor over and under-clocking and battery life. With same storage, processor, case design, colours, OIS and megapixels. Why Apple doesn't understand this is beyond me. There's no reason to keep OIS from the 6s but ROI with forcing customers who really need the best camera to get the plus model. And that saddens me to no end that Apple is like this. That's the best product company no longer. That's just corporate greed. If Apple doesn't stop fucking over its customers like this I'm going to stop recommending the iPhone. And I'm deadly serious with that statement. The pricing of the new Magic Trackpad, magic keyboard and Apple TV in Ireland has put me off buying all three products.
  • Reply 28 of 84
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

Right. If it's 4" with A9 and 2GB of RAM, it'll be the same specs as the current flagship 6S/6S+. That means the 4" 6c (assumed), 6S+ and 6S must be differentiated by screen sizes only. So, 6S+ at $199 sub, 6S at $99, where will 6c stands, $0? Unless Apple place this at lowest tier $0 same as iPhone 6, and keep both there, it doesn't make sense. So, either you get 4.7" A8, 1GB of RAM or 4" A9, 2GB of RAM...It still doesn't make sense to me that why would an entry level phone have better specs? This rumor doesn't make sense. If this 4" phone is for emerging market, it should have A8 chip and 1GB of RAM for the price less than iPhone 6 ($450?).

" Unless Apple place this at lowest tier $0 same as iPhone 6, and keep both there, it doesn't make sense."

I agree, it doesn't make sense to keep both at the free tier. That's why, more than likely, they will keep one or the other.  If this report is true, then I don't see the iPhone 6 sticking around. This may be Apple signalling that they want to rid their iOS device lineup of devices containing only 1GB of RAM.  In late 2016, 2GB of RAM will be crucial for software updates going forward.

Also, the description of this 4" iPhone doesn't sound like an iPhone designed for emerging markets in mind, especially if it has an A9 SoC and 2GB RAM. It sounds like an iPhone for those current users who much prefer the 4" form factor.

• Reply 29 of 84
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,700member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The new 4" shouldn't be a crippled device—but will be. In reality it should be a new iPhone 7 family: 7 mini, 7 and 7 plus. Differentiating only in terms of screen size, battery size, processor over and under-clocking and battery life. With same storage, processor, case design, colours, OIS and megapixels. Why Apple doesn't understand this is beyond me. There's no reason to keep OIS from the 6s but ROI with forcing customers who really need the best camera to get the plus model. And that saddens me to no end that Apple is like this. That's the best product company no longer. That's just corporate greed. If Apple doesn't stop fucking over its customers like this I'm going to stop recommending the iPhone. And I'm deadly serious with that statement. The pricing of the new Magic Trackpad, magic keyboard and Apple TV in Ireland has put me off buying all three products.

In an ideal world, that may be the case but just like the iPad mini gets internals that are one generation old, so too will this new 4" iPhone.

• Reply 30 of 84
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member

Holly Moly, So next year we have a new design iPhone 7. An iPhone 6S, and a 4" iPhone 6c.

Is kind of hard to guess when will Apple launch the iPhone 6c. The article suggest mass production start in early 2016 while launching along side iPhone 7 ( What?? ) which doesn't make any sense.

Especially getting a mid cycle iPhone 6c which has a A9 inside for $450 sounds very unApple to me.

• Reply 31 of 84
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    We shall await the:

Ming-Chi Kuo says that due to production issues the new 4" Apple iPhone will be pushed back to 2017...
  • Reply 32 of 84
    sog35 wrote: »
    No 3.5 inch model? So doomed. Steve Jobs would never allow this to happen.

I've owned every Apple product since 1960. But lately Apple has been too concerned about profits and political issues.

Maybe they should go private?
  • Reply 33 of 84
    iPhone 6 innards inside an iPod touch shell available in the same range of colours. do it apple!
  • Reply 34 of 84
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by adm1 View Post

iPhone 6 innards inside an iPod touch shell available in the same range of colours. do it apple!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Why? People need to get over the small form factor.

It never ends does it.

• Reply 35 of 84
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

The iP6 has primarily been a huge success because of the adoption of a larger screen; everything else is just a bonus, so there would still be a raison d'être for the 6.

• Reply 36 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I know I ask this every time but I'm going to ask again. Why is this considered "breaking"? This guy isn't breaking any new news, heck he's not even breaking any rumors. He's just making guesses on what he thinks Apple might do. I'm sorry but that does not deserve a "breaking" tag. :no:
  • Reply 37 of 84
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I know I ask this every time but I'm going to ask again. Why is this considered "breaking"? This guy isn't breaking any new news, heck he's not even breaking any rumors. He's just making guesses on what he thinks Apple might do. I'm sorry but that does not deserve a "breaking" tag. :no:
  • Reply 38 of 84
    inklinginkling Posts: 772member
    Except for that signal-blocking metal case, this makes sense. There are many people who're not caught up in having the latest technology and many whose small hands make these larger phones cumbersome. There's a market for this phone.

Now how about a Sport model that's ruggedized and waterproof? How about an EL model for people on the go who need a longer battery life?

Apple should realize that when you grow past a certain size, you can no longer get by with trying to make a couple of models fit all needs.
  • Reply 39 of 84
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

The iP6 has primarily been a huge success because of the adoption of a larger screen; everything else is just a bonus, so there would still be a raison d'être for the 6.

NO, its been a success because its a bloody good phone. The bigger screen size is a bonus for those who wanted it.

• Reply 40 of 84
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    bobschlob wrote: »

Damit, Apple! It's not the "screen size", it's the "phone size"!
    Shrink the dang case!
    who's to say they aren't or won't. Remember the iPhone 7 cycle is the cycle that will more than likely get the redesign. Shitty part is, is that you'll have to wait about a year to find out. 

Seriously, how much more can they change the design? Can't go bigger, because they went bigger twice in one swoop last year, and they went ridiculously thin. What gets changed?