Apple Watch raises awareness of wearables as Pebble doubles its sales, CEO says

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 wrote: »
    schwank wrote: »

Youre the reason Ive posted 3 times in 10 years lol

Im soooo sorry I said something other than "the apple watch is the best product on the planet" thanks for your enlightening opinion.

4 posts in 8 years...............

He was too busy schwanking. :lol:
  • Reply 22 of 33
    Didn't know Peebles was a smartwatch - kinda think of it as one of the first Red LCD watches. Going to look at it now, but some of the questions I have is:
    1) Does it offer something similar to Apple Pay
    2) Travel Tickets - of course my wrist doesn't fit under airport scanners just yet.
    3)One feature I like is how watch and health app are connected and I can check out all my stats in great detail.
    4) I don't mind charging my battery at work everyday around 3pm - so battery time longer than 36 hours isn't all that important to me. Heck, being 52, I used to windup my watch and alarm clock when I was young, so this concept isn't new to me.
    5) Can I peebles be used over wifi to send and receive text messages and phone calls. It's really nice to be able to walk away from my phone
    6) Does peebles include Alerts for Calendar and Reminders and can I view email?
    If just one of the 6 items is missing, there is no reason for me to go backwards, plus the fact the apple watch looks really classy. I feel a rectangular black face watch looks much nicer - quite frankly, I don't care about the time - time is available everywhere.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zimmie View Post

I greatly prefer the Pebble's screen to that of the Apple Watch. Sure, it's not quite as colorful and smooth, but it's always on. That means I can just look down at my wrist without moving it and see the time, much like I can with my grandfather's Omega. The week long battery life is also nice. I charge mine on Saturdays.

That only matters if your watch is used

Quote:

Originally Posted by schwank View Post

Youre the reason Ive posted 3 times in 10 years lol

Im soooo sorry I said something other than "the apple watch is the best product on the planet" thanks for your enlightening opinion.

Yet you pop back up and YOU LIE. Yes, 100%. Google if you dare.

• Reply 24 of 33
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

I have an original Kickstarter pebble thats still going strong. I wanted an apple watch SO BAD until I heard it has less than a days battery life and costs 399 for the size I would want. Now that Pebble time has dropped to $150 Ill probably buy one. Maybe in three years or so (when the sealed battery in the pebble dies) apple will have acceptable battery life.

Ive had a mac since 1994, and still have an iphone 1. the apple watch display is beautiful, the case is ok, the battery kills it.

Sorry, what kind of battery life is "acceptable" to you? What did you expect it to do, with the screen tech, size, and technology packed inside? Why is 1-2 days not acceptable? Guess what- the next version isn't going to have a week's worth of battery life either. 

• Reply 25 of 33
    Quote:

I have an original Kickstarter pebble thats still going strong. I wanted an apple watch SO BAD until I heard it has less than a days battery life and costs 399 for the size I would want. Now that Pebble time has dropped to $150 Ill probably buy one. Maybe in three years or so (when the sealed battery in the pebble dies) apple will have acceptable battery life.

Ive had a mac since 1994, and still have an iphone 1. the apple watch display is beautiful, the case is ok, the battery kills it.

So you post an average of twice a year, and you use one of those posts to come into a thread, shit on an Apple product, and announce that you will buy something else. Then you use the "I've had an X since Y" crap. And you say you're not a troll?

• Reply 26 of 33
    larryalarrya Posts: 606member
    solipsismy wrote: »
    1) I can't help but think of Blackberry's sales skyrocketing after the iPhone brought awareness to the smartphone market. I hope Pebble has something better up its sleeve than just their eInk, ePaper, eWhatever displays, or I think the longterm for Pebble will share the same fate as Blackberry's smartphone market.

2) I'll go for usability over looks any day, but damn those look fugly to me. Why so much bezel on a device you're support to interact with and get written text from?

"Skyrocketed"? They didn't double in the first quarter after iPhone shipped like Pebble's did. I agree that in the long term they are doomed if they stand still and Apple improves battery and/or adds GPS, but I don't think we're there yet.

• Reply 27 of 33
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

"Skyrocketed"? They didn't double in the first quarter after iPhone shipped like Pebble's did. I agree that in the long term they are doomed if they stand still and Apple improves battery and/or adds GPS, but I don't think we're there yet.

Looks like BB sales tripled in the 1st 3 years after the iPhone launch, and look where they are now?

I say just like every low-end Android sale, every Pebble sale is a net POSITIVE for Apple. The more people that own a pebble, the more potential Apple Watch customers, as they will see the potential of a smartwatch and there's a good chance they will eventually want to upgrade. 

• Reply 28 of 33
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by LarryA View Post

Looks like BB sales tripled in the 1st 3 years after the iPhone launch, and look where they are now?

I say just like every low-end Android sale, every Pebble sale is a net POSITIVE for Apple. The more people that own a pebble, the more potential Apple Watch customers, as they will see the potential of a smartwatch and there's a good chance they will eventually want to upgrade. 

I think that is likely true for many buyers. My experience (which has been fine) with a Pebble has only reinforced my interest in getting an Apple Watch.

• Reply 29 of 33
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member

This is the honeymoon period where the market is expanding, but since low-priced competitors haven't entered yet, it means that every current player should see some kind of upswing as more consumers become aware of the category.

What is not happening, as alluded by these CEOs, is that Apple's market is choosing their products over Apple's watch. That's simply not happening and not ever going to happen on a measurable scale. A person who likes the Apple Watch isn't going to settle for something as compromised as the massive bezel on the pebble.

It was the same story with iPhone, certainly you will always have a few switchers, but an ever growing number of iPhones sold indicates that far more people are moving to the platform than leaving it. All the while the devices become more advanced making it even harder for me-too devices to emulate the functionality.

• Reply 30 of 33

I like how the 2 cats here always make sense with their posts - @RadarTheKat and @ECats!

• Reply 31 of 33
    http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=health fitness amp beauty Somehow this watch, selling at double its former rate, is on sale at 25% off. I smell an exaggeration. Selling so well they have to dramatically drop the price.
  • Reply 32 of 33
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    kiowavt wrote: »
    http://deals.bestbuy.com/?category=health fitness amp beautySomehow this watch, selling at double its former rate, is on sale at 25% off. I smell an exaggeration. Selling so well they have to dramatically drop the price.

You mean the exact same strategy Apple is using on its smartwatch that is "selling so well" they had to discount it almost 15% off?