Apple TV's tvOS found to support app folders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    No HDMI2? Doesn't Apple know that plugging an HDMI1or 2 cable into your surround sound w/throughput to your TV for video cuts out any UHD video down to 1080P? $200 and they expect us to buy a new one next year so we can watch our iPhone 6S UHD home movies then? What did they save by leavingy out the parts to send UHD through an HDMI2 port (which BTW is exactly the same size & fit as HDMI1 jacks? Not well though thought out! I can't upgrade w/out that port or the old optical audio output they removed. Primed to buy but not this one.
  • Reply 22 of 55
    Naysayers, how little do we learn from history, even recent history?

The Apple TV that is flying off the shelves right now is not the Apple TV in R&D at Cupertino, not by at least 2 or 3 quantum leaps in software and hardware.

All this grumbling and fault-finding serves only to blind the competition to "where the puck is", and plays into the hands of the Fruity Ones eventually...

Surely we all know 4K video (and beyond) will arrive on the device in the fullness of time, as indeed will a compatible Remote app for iPhones, iPads and iPods, not to talk of Siri API's for 3rd party apps, app folders for multiple family and corporate users with permissions etc etc.

Folks will kill for a chance to radiate irritation, disgust, contempt and disdain, as if by some negative process that makes them cleverer than the industry leaders and their proven track record in user experience.

The only thing we seem to learn from history is that mankind learns nothing from history, a weird and disturbing paradox...
  • Reply 23 of 55
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member

Breaking: Apple writes code so they can add features to it later. Wow. 

Having spent a bit of time now with the device, I am very impressed with it. I think it possible that some of this unmitigated bitching is based on some people's conception of what this device *is*. Some of this is newness, but ATV4 is not a computer of a phone - it exists to put content on a TV. That's it. Sure, the games are a new way to interact with what is on that screen, but at the end of the day, you're supposed to sit and watch a movie or TV show; or maybe make rudimentary inputs to work a game. 

One last impression: my setup via BT connection to iPhone went with no problems. However, it was not obvious it was working, and it took a few minutes with no indication it was in process. I'm wondering if people reporting problems got impatient after waiting 15 seconds, and somehow interrupted the process.

• Reply 24 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrphil49 View Post

No HDMI2? Doesn't Apple know that plugging an HDMI1or 2 cable into your surround sound w/throughput to your TV for video cuts out any UHD video down to 1080P? $200 and they expect us to buy a new one next year so we can watch our iPhone 6S UHD home movies then? What did they save by leavingy out the parts to send UHD through an HDMI2 port (which BTW is exactly the same size & fit as HDMI1 jacks? Not well though thought out! I can't upgrade w/out that port or the old optical audio output they removed. Primed to buy but not this one.

Why is optical a problem? I go HDMI out of AppleTV into my TV, and Optical out of my TV to the soundbar. It carries Dolby Digital sound with it.

• Reply 25 of 55
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Breaking: Apple writes code so they can add features to it later. Wow. 

Having spent a bit of time now with the device, I am very impressed with it. I think it possible that some of this unmitigated bitching is based on some people's conception of what this device *is*. Some of this is newness, but ATV4 is not a computer of a phone - it exists to put content on a TV. That's it. Sure, the games are a new way to interact with what is on that screen, but at the end of the day, you're supposed to sit and watch a movie or TV show; or maybe make rudimentary inputs to work a game. 

One last impression: my setup via BT connection to iPhone went with no problems. However, it was not obvious it was working, and it took a few minutes with no indication it was in process. I'm wondering if people reporting problems got impatient after waiting 15 seconds, and somehow interrupted the process.

I agree overall, and a lot of the bitching is indeed just like Apple Watch bitching...having no clue what the product is.

That said, It isn't hard to argue that the voice input is far more limited than it should have been, given that its only one of two ways to interact with it.

• Reply 26 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

Peope (sic) are not dumb... 

Well, that's where I stopped reading. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.

Honestly, you'll never go broke underestimating the stupidity of people. Any software must assume the users are absolute morons. I'm surprised this mantra isn't pained on the walls in Cuppertino.

• Reply 27 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

"I am a "fanboy" as well but"

"I'm an Apple fan but"

"I've been using a Mac since 1984 but"

will not increase your credibility in the forums.

As opposed to "I just dumped 100,000 shares of AAPL when I saw this device." *ding* instant cred. But interestingly, I don't see anyone (truthfully) saying that.

• Reply 28 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That said, It isn't hard to argue that the voice input is far more limited than it should have been, given that its only one of two ways to interact with it.

I think it works fine for my needs and expectations. Coulda, shoulda, woulda speculation is less important than concluding "it will get better soon, like all apple products do." This thingie isn't about there here and now as much as it is the future. 

• Reply 29 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    pmz wrote: »

Why is optical a problem? I go HDMI out of AppleTV into my TV, and Optical out of my TV to the soundbar. It carries Dolby Digital sound with it.
    Then for you personally it's not a problem, but note that it's not the best solution if you have a Blueray player. You miss out a a higher quality audio, and device control is not quite as simple as single cable HDMI.

Most sound bars don't offer HDMI or course, even expensive ones like Sonos. Anyone could still buy yet another piece of electronics to fill the gap, an HDMI switcher with an additional optical out port. Added expense but it works.
    http://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-TOSlink-Digital-Coaxial-Channel/dp/B005E2XLI2

Personally your solution works good enough for me. For others YMMV.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by airmanchairman View Post

Naysayers, how little do we learn from history, even recent history?

The Apple TV that is flying off the shelves right now is not the Apple TV in R&D at Cupertino, not by at least 2 or 3 quantum leaps in software and hardware.

All this grumbling and fault-finding serves only to blind the competition to "where the puck is", and plays into the hands of the Fruity Ones eventually...

Surely we all know 4K video (and beyond) will arrive on the device in the fullness of time, as indeed will a compatible Remote app for iPhones, iPads and iPods, not to talk of Siri API's for 3rd party apps, app folders for multiple family and corporate users with permissions etc etc.

Folks will kill for a chance to radiate irritation, disgust, contempt and disdain, as if by some negative process that makes them cleverer than the industry leaders and their proven track record in user experience.

The only thing we seem to learn from history is that mankind learns nothing from history, a weird and disturbing paradox...

As far as I can tell, the posters on this article have set a new record; most number of people posting while doing drugs.

• Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mrphil49 View Post

I don't know what you are talking about. You can do 4K pass through with HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 and above. The Apple TV has an HDMI 1.4 connection, which can pass through 4K. The only thing 1.4 can't do is 4K/60Hz. What equipment are you using? If Apple suddenly enabled 4K support on the Apple TV, I can do 4K pass through with my receiver. 

• Reply 32 of 55
    With all the problems there is and questions on using the device from bluetooth not working right and the weirdness of the remote....I can deal with all of it except not have a DARK THEME option for the Home screena and the Settings screen.

That white everywhere on Yosemite/El Capitan and OS 9 is just killing my eyes!!!

Just wait till your eyes get a bit weaker after 35 yrs of age...you start to notice this crap.

Also, Apple spent so much time and analysis on trying to figure out how to come up with the best most comfortable universal ear piece for headphones...yet..when it comes to looking at the screen everyday..they don't think looking at all this white bright background everywhere is like looking into the sun for some people!! Especially in the dark watching movies.

Why do you think theatres are dark and dont use WHITE curtains or white interior walls for decorating? Netflix gets it...when you go into their app!

DUH!
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Quote:

Originally Posted by blewvelvet View Post

Just wait till your eyes get a bit weaker after 35 yrs of age...you start to notice this crap.

We (the AARP crowd) are not Apple's market.

• Reply 34 of 55
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I want to write Unix sh scripts to automate folder management can I get a hell yes?

sh shells are for backward losers, compile your own kernel and load it, that's what Apple should allow mom and pop to do.

Pedal to the medal for mom and pop...

• Reply 35 of 55
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    some responses are fascinating
  • Reply 36 of 55
    slurpy wrote: »
    Jesus, what a rant. It's a 1.0 OS release. Apple focused on the fundamentals, and making sure those were nailed. And i think they did a pretty damn good job.  These features and refinements will come in time. 

I have to lol at this:

"Forum comments" have never been evidence of anything. Also, reviews have been positive so far. Hilarious how you're trying to pretend that online bitching means anything. 

Its not Rant my friend... these are facts.
    True its TvOS 1... But its an extention of the ios
    Its not a fresh start of a brand new thing..its been in the making for Years!

Omission of folders was stupid! So are other things i mentioned.

Also, U probably did not read all the way through....specially the last part !

Complacency is one of the first things that destroys success!
    I love Apple and am an investor.. In a big way..
    But im not a blind fanboy...

Mainyehc had a nice response to u all... I leave it at that !

Mainyehc.. Thanks for the support.. I dont usually write long complaints... But this one called for it.
    As for my typos.. I apologize... ...my spelling is not so good , i use an ipad all the time and rely on its spell checker ... unfortunately sometimes in my reviews i dont catch the mistake and the ios spell checker does not either ...at the risk of being blasted yet again, I trully think ios spell checker is not all that great.. ( Others do much better) ..another thing apple should improve .. Imho.

That said:

I love my iMac
    I love my iPhone
    I love my iPad.. Cant wait for pro
    I love my Apple Watch.
    I like my Apple TV.. Will love it once obvious omissions are fixed .

Are they all perfect, no. Are there issues, yes .. Do i write apple about issues and what i feel can be better.. Yes.

Do i think not giving feedback is better...No.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    eightzero wrote: »
    Well, that's where I stopped reading. A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, <span style="line-height:22.4px;">dangerous</span>
    <span style="line-height:22.4px;"> </span>
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">animals, and you know it.</span>

<span style="line-height:1.4em;">Honestly, you'll never go broke underestimating the stupidity of people. Any software must assume the users are absolute morons. I'm surprised this mantra isn't pained on the walls in Cuppertino.</span>
    my apologies for typos...but Maybe it will do you good if you read my whole post... Rather than pick on typos.....
  • Reply 38 of 55
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    TLDR.

but on your last paragraph -- if you're letting the bitchers in a couple online forums deter you from using a great product, I feel sorry for you. it does its job to be done very well. it takes less than 10 minutes to set up all your accounts and it just isn't that big of a deal. Siri works for the apps that implemented it. the rest will take time, duh.

Not for one second im encouraging anyone not to get this product.....
    Read my whole post !
    But im addressing issues that are surprisingly there... And should not be..coming from a company like Apple.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yojimbo007 View Post

my apologies for typos...but Maybe it will do you good if you read my whole post... Rather than pick on typos.....

I don't care about your typos. It is your basic argument that is fundamentally flawed. 

What will do me good is blocking you. Ah. Now that feels better.

• Reply 40 of 55
    eightzero wrote: »
    I don't care about your typos. It is your basic argument that is fundamentally flawed. 

What will do me good is blocking you. Ah. Now that feels better.

Lol.. And the fundimental flaw is?