iPad 2 still most used iPad model, early adoption rates for iPads on decline

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member

Pretty shocked so many still use the iPad 2, especially people on this forum, and the fact that the Air/Air2 are such massively superior products (screen, size, weight, power, speed, etc). The iPad 2 screen looks like garbage by today's standard, same DPI as the first iPhone 8 years ago. 

• Reply 82 of 92
    saareksaarek Posts: 1,520member
    jfc1138 wrote: »

So you're holding onto something that you don't like because you don't like it and so won't get something you know you would like?

You must really like that screwed feeling. Which is, of course, a legitimate option. Me? I get rid of things that displease me, perhaps especially when I can afford doing so.
    I hardly ever use it now, find it to frustrating. Reach for my iPhone for basic web browsing and use my iMac for anything more intensive.

You see it started becoming sluggish on iOS 7 and has just gotten worse.

At the iOS 7 stage it was still a relatively new device and the loss of performance just rubbed salt in to my displeasure at the short changed upgrade cycle.

This is all just my opinion and does not necessarily reflect most iPad 3 owners views obviously, but I know that both my sister and father who bought an iPad 3 on my recommendation are also very unhappy with their slow iPads.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    maxitmaxit Posts: 222member

That's the reason why the tablet market is stagnating .... it is saturated.

People doesn't feel the need to change their iPad every 1-2 years.

• Reply 84 of 92
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MaxIT View Post

depending on what numbers you believe, the tablet market is around 200 million strong and the traditional desktop / laptop market is about 1 to 1.5 billion strong.  And there are many more that don't own a tablet or a traditional PC. So the key to the tablet's growth will be determined by how many traditional PC users it can cannibalize and how many non tablet / PC users it can convert.

There's a lot of room to grow.  With the advent of the large-screen tablets, they become more of a competition for laptops than they do smartphones.

• Reply 85 of 92
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    maxit wrote: »
    You really think it's saturated? There hasn't been that many tablets sold has there?

It may be that current iPad owners don't see a need to upgrade every time a new one comes out but a whole lotta Apple folks haven't purchased any iPad at all yet. Personally I think the interest in tablets has waned. They're more of a 'tweener device to me. Heavier than a phablet, not really comfortable to hold for any length of time and the size makes them better for two handed use unless laid on a 2nd surface. Without adding additional accessories like stands and keyboards they don't really serve well as a laptop replacement for a lot of folks. If you can afford (or want to mess with) multiple devices then they definitely have their place but if you want or can afford just one or two a large screen smartphone and a laptop/desktop is a better way to go IMHO.
  • Reply 86 of 92
    I gave my mom my iPad 2 when I got the mini when it came out. Finally the 2 got so slow she just upgraded to a mini 3. I still have the original mini but it's slow down quite a bit as well. Debating when I get my next phone, probably after a "7" comes out get a Plus model and not even have a mini anymore.
  • Reply 87 of 92
    Ipad 2 truly is a great device, even at an advanced age. My wife uses hers heavily and daily for the majority of her work while traveling, and for leisure. We bought a spare ipad 2 for household use on wifi and for travel. Since it pairs so easily and well with the Apple Av cable, it is great for mobilizing television and music downloads for travel (Or even just around the house -- we have an av cable on both the living room tv, and the exercise room tv). There is still a alot to be said fir the 30. -pin connector with its ease of use and its range of device compatibility.
  • Reply 88 of 92
    chadbk wrote: »
    I highly doubt it still "rocks" if my 4th gen doesn't. You obviously have not sat down with a current gen for more than 3seconds.

Thank you for registering your doubt with the Department of I Don't Give A Rats Ass. Your opinion doesn't change anything.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member

For me this is quite bad news for Apple.  The last 3 years Apple has failed to attract new customers for the iPad.

• Reply 90 of 92
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

For me this is quite bad news for Apple.  The last 3 years Apple has failed to attract new customers for the iPad.

No, that doesn't point to that AT ALL, since every single sales in 2015 could be to a new customer could be to a new customer and you'd still would have declining sales if past customers still had their previous device and bought no new one from anyone.

Try again with less flawed logic next time.

• Reply 91 of 92
    croprcropr Posts: 1,122member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

No, that doesn't point to that AT ALL, since every single sales in 2015 could be to a new customer could be to a new customer and you'd still would have declining sales if past customers still had their previous device and bought no new one from anyone.

Try again with less flawed logic next time.

Whenever Apple has announced an new iPad, at least half the people on this forum posted they would upgrade immediately to this new exciting iPad.  This is in strong contrast with "every single sales could be a new customer".  There are of course some new customers, but only a fraction of the new customers in the 2010 - 2012 period.   Comparing that to the explosive growth of new customers for the iPhone, this can only be bad news for Apple.  There is nothing wrong with my logic.

The fact that there are still so many iPad 2 in use could also be an indication that the value/price ratio of the new iPads is below par, the iPad mini 3 was e.g. ridiculously overpriced.  New customers remain limited in number and existing customers don't bother to upgrade.

• Reply 92 of 92
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cropr View Post

Whenever Apple has announced an new iPad, at least half the people on this forum posted they would upgrade immediately to this new exciting iPad.  This is in strong contrast with "every single sales could be a new customer".  There are of course some new customers, but only a fraction of the new customers in the 2010 - 2012 period.   Comparing that to the explosive growth of new customers for the iPhone, this can only be bad news for Apple.  There is nothing wrong with my logic.

The fact that there are still so many iPad 2 in use could also be an indication that the value/price ratio of the new iPads is below par, the iPad mini 3 was e.g. ridiculously overpriced.  New customers remain limited in number and existing customers don't bother to upgrade.

I don't know if it was this quarter's or last quarter's conference call, but Tim Cook said that 50% of iPad sales are going to new customers. In some countries it was as high as 75%.